Dual-Star heated grip users

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
If that resistor is anything like the one I had when I put heated grips on my first wing, the resistor got DARN HOT and you had to make sure you didn't let it rest against the plastic on the bike, for fear of melting it. Not sure if it is the same type, George???
Imagine so, HoJo. The "drop" function is provided in the resistor by burning the excess amps. It does get hot. I can tell ya a plastic tie-wrap to hold it against a frame membe won't do the job.

A HeaTroller (tm, accept no substitutes) opens 'n closes the circuit rather than just dumping the excess thru heat. Much better solution.

Bike
ST1300
Anyone know if the Dual-Star grips can be run off the Hondaline controller? I have one Hondaline grip go out and I don't want to spend the $280 for an entire kit when I only need the throttle side.

Thanks for all the great info on this site. :usflag1:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Anyone know if the Dual-Star grips can be run off the Hondaline controller? I have one Hondaline grip go out and I don't want to spend the $280 for an entire kit when I only need the throttle side.

Thanks for all the great info on this site. :usflag1:
I don't see why not unless the controller is looking for a specific load:confused:
I don't know how the element will trasnfer the heat. Probably not as well as the eom grip with the molded in element. I'd consider chucking both and going with symtech elements and bmw grips using the honda controller.

Bike
ST1300
That is what I'm thinking too. Now what BMW grip is everyone talking about?

And thanks again for the help.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
BMW part numbers
Left: 32721458395 (Non Heated Grip, Left, Concentric Groves, Open End - 32721458395)
Right: 32721458396 (Non Heated Grip, Right, Concentric Groves, Open End - 32721458396)

Prolly around $8 a pc at your BMW dealer.
The have a slight profile not a constant dia, and have external ribs so they feel a little softer.

BTW it looks like the newer dual star are like the symtech and have 2 elements and don't need the power resistor any more.

Dual Star LINK

Symtec LINK

Attachments

Last edited:
Forget the BMW grips, I hated 'em. I went back to ST OEM grips and put on Grip Puppies from California Sport Touring.

Bike
ST1300
Perfect. Thank you for the detailed info. I am very familiar with those grips and had them on an 1100RT.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I wanted to put on BMW grips, but I was afraid they might damage my final drive... so I use grip puppies. ;)

I am planning on the hi lo rocker switch installed on the control cluster. I was thinking about taking the switch apart and filling it with di-electric grease and using relays to cut the amperage that goes through the switch.

Thoughts appreciated on how that setup might (has) handled weather?

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
I had the idea to cover the switch with some thin silicone sheet, so far I have
not been able to find a adhesive that sticks to the silicone? Duh! tried silicon seal, urethane adhesive, super glue and no luck. Also, I had the switch apart and I think filling it with dielectric grease(silicone base) should be good enough. willy

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I wanted to put on BMW grips, but I was afraid they might damage my final drive... so I use grip puppies. ;)

I am planning on the hi lo rocker switch installed on the control cluster. I was thinking about taking the switch apart and filling it with di-electric grease and using relays to cut the amperage that goes through the switch.

Thoughts appreciated on how that setup might (has) handled weather?
Elements are c. 3amps I would worry about adding relays.
+1 on the dielectric grease.
You could also use a toggle with a screw on rubber boot.

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
No, it is not. If filled with dielectric grease or vaseline I think it would survive OK. To be considered "Water Proof" it must survive submersion for some length of time, only marine items meet this standard. My needs are for occasional exposure to rain, and hopefully not submersion. willy

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
I have a spare switch assy. with switch mounted, send me yours and I'll exchange it for mine, N/C willy

Top Bottom