Ducati Multistrada

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
When I sold my ST and bought the wing two years ago, I planned to get another ST in a year or two. Now that I'm closer to buying the replacement I'm wonder if I should't look at something else. I loved my ST, but the wing is very similar and I've been having the "been there, done that" feeling.

I've been thinking of looking at an adventure tourer and was considering a BMW GS or KTM 990, but then I saw the new Ducati Multistrada. 130 hp, 500 lbs, bags and all day comfort sounds good, but it has an electronic controlled fuel delivery and suspension package that lets you adjust on the fly. You can tone down power delivery and soften the suspension for gravel or make power delivery abrupt and stiffen the suspension for sport riding. All that electronics worries me in an Italian package.

If it were from Honda I wouldn't think twice. But it sounds expensive to fix and Ducati doesn't have a good reputation for reliability. Lack of dealer network worries me too. There's one in SA, but what about the middle of nowhere?

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I was just wishing Honda would make an adventure tourer with the new V4 in it. High bars, comfortable seat, big bags, V-4 power and torque, 7 gallon tank, small windshield and skid plate. It'd be epic.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
If it were from Honda I wouldn't think twice. But it sounds expensive to fix and Ducati doesn't have a good reputation for reliability. Lack of dealer network worries me too. There's one in SA, but what about the middle of nowhere?

Any thoughts?
I feel the same way about BMW's. Listen to yourself. Do you want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere?:(

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
As always, there are those that swear by Ducatis, then there are those that swear at them.....

Too new a bike, give it a couple of years, second hand prices will be more realistic and by then you will know how good/bad it is!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have a Hypermotard, very few issues with her so far other than it really attracts the LEO's attention,,,,,,,hmmmm could it be me??? Nah!

Anyway I really wanted the new Multi but....it's the first year manufacture, it's a chain drive, valve service interval of 14,000 miles, belts changed every two years....well you get the picture if you are are a high mileage ridder.

Still, overall I think it's gonna knock the BMW off the pedestal.

We all know Honda could build a hell of an adventure bike if they set their mine to it!

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The valves aren't hard to do, nor is replacing the cam belts. (I've helped Desmo Steve do both on his ST3.) It appears that the modern Ducatis are more reliable than their predecessors. However, there looks to be less wind protection on the MultiStrada, and I believe that you have to drop nearly $20K on the high end model to get bags and the other goodies. Modern chains ought to get you 20K miles, but they still require more maintenance than a shaft drive. The MultiStrada looks like a nice bike, but I don't think it's as competent a tourer as the ST1300.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have no doubt the new MS is an awesome motorcycle and will move state of the art a little further down the road for us. OTOH, a fellow I know bought a MS three years ago and almost immediately it needed some small part replaced under warranty. It took 6 weeks to get the part and the bike was down the whole time. Maybe their supply chain is all fixed now but I share the same thoughts about long term reliability and costs of ownership. Sure, if you stay close to home no big deal, but for touring I think I would always be thinking of what if? A set of replacement shocks for ESA-equipped BMW's are over $4,000. Made by Ohlins for Ducati, I wonder how much a rebuild or set of these are going to be in 20 or 30,000 miles.

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
I had a Ducati Multistrada 620 prior to buying my 2006 ST1300PA. It was a great bike. I put 21,000 km on it with no issues. I road it across Canada. It was the most comfortable bike I have ever known. The issue is maintenance. It was costing me $700-$1000 every 12K km (~8K miles) to have the routine maintenance done. That may be OK if you are just Sunday riding but rediculous for touring. You don't buy a Fararri to tour!!!! It is a really nice bike but you have to be an Italian Mechanic to own one. Now if I won the lotto or was Jay Leno, I'd be the first to buy one.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
The maintenance issue isn't a deal killer for me since I'm pretty handy with a wrench. I've restored a few bikes and rebuilt an engine or two. However, all that does is muck up the decision process. The fact that I can do it, doesn't mean I want to do it if its a PITA and has a short interval. I think the Gold Wing has the worst maintenance schedule I've ever encountered--it seems designed to suck maximum money out of the owners pocket. 4K intervals and sometimes you have to pull the same panel a few months apart. I've shuffled the tasks so all the major ones fall on the same milage and I only have to remove the tupperware once a year. The major problem seems to be the availability of a dealer for warranty work and any problems that come up that I don't want to mess with. If I wasn't handy I wouldn't even consider a Duc.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
"Ducati: Making Mechanics out of Riders Since 1925"

I still want one.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
"Ducati: Making Mechanics out of Riders Since 1925"

I still want one.
I'm with Bones on this one. Maintenance interval shouldn't be a problem. I'd probably lose my license well before the first oil change.

Bike
ST1300
I picked my brand new Multi Strada up from the dealer at 10:00 in the morning
and by 15:00 it was on the back of a trailer heading back to dealer- Engine
was blown to bits- Never again:(

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
was blown to bits- Never again:(
Youch! When did this happen? Was it a 1200?

Bike
ST1100
In many cases Ducati's are easier to maintain than Japanese bikes. The only drawback to owning one is that you have to maintain it at the perscribed intervals. It's not like a Honda where it'll keep humming along despite neglect. If you stick with the maintenance schedule you'll have a very reliable machine.

was blown to bits- Never again
Wonder what the heck happened?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I got to see Multistrada in person at Curtis's RTE last Sunday. It may be a great bike to ride, and I have not ridden one, but in person it's not anywhere as beautiful as on Ducati's website. For that kind of dough it should look like...well...a Ducati! I think I just saved myself $20,000.

Bike
GL1800
The looks kind of grows on you.

The BEAK kinda put me off when I saw it at the show but............that body is so great to get a hold of. This thing flat hauls.

Top Bottom