Engine swap

Is there a youtube video somewhere that shows an ST1300 engine swap? There's a 50k bike with a bad engine, and a completely wrecked bike being parted out, both near me. Before I do something stupid, I'd like to see the video so that I can understand the effort.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have not seen any youtube video's pertaining to the ST's that have not scared me, with the stupid stuff folks are doing, or recommending etc.
That said, Swapping engines out on these bikes is not for the faint of heart.
You will need to invest in some special tools for the swingarm pivot fasteners, etc.
I question what year(s) are the bikes your thinking about?
If they are prior to 07, your probably going to find wire harness issues, crispy sub wire harnesses, damaged SMC's, calipers, clutch slave cylinders, fork seals, bearings, coolant leaks, vacuum leaks, and various other things, that will turn your good intention projects into a major money pit.
And worse yet, your gonna start finding out that parts are going to be obsolete, or the ECU is damaged.
There probably is a valid reason that nobody else has tried to do what your thinking about doing with those parts.
Listen to that little voice in your head, run away.
There are too many still running late model ST's to be had out there, why risk opening up pandora's box with a damaged bike, and a bunch of questionable parts?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I would say why not? Would be a fun project if you have the time/space. It's not rocket science, you unplug stuff and unbolt stuff twice, then plug and bolt once... lol

The great part is you'll see every aspect of the bike you're putting back together and able to inspect/clean/replace things many will never get access to. You'll also end up with some spares for the future.

Bike
VStrom 650
I would think a competent home mechanic would turn the job around in a week or so. That's a full week, 9 to 5, and all week. That's if everything goes well and no hiccups occur. Obviously with the assistance of the esteemed magicians of mechanics on this very site.
But why bother. You see well sorted, well looked after ST's on here for sale all the time.
If you've got nothing better to do and can stand the potential money pit then OK, why not if it floats your boat.
Me? Meh.
Upt.

OP
OP
Andy D
I guess I am kind of competent and I do derive some pleasure from fixing up old stuff. But Igofar is probably right...potential frustrations from old burnt up wiring harnesses and dried out seals probably outweigh the potential satisfaction of rebuilding something. My rule of thumb has been never to buy a bike more than 20 years old for that reason, which partly why I just sold my 2003 ST (...looking at the brake hose manifold was a constant, niggling worry.) This is really an emotional/psychological question more that practical. I have a ton of money (which I will die with) and could afford to buy anything, but the anxiety of owning a new, or even undinged up, vehicle outweighs any transient pleasure I get from the shiny newness. (I drive a 2002 Toyota Sienna with a salvage title that I love!)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would:

A. Get the heck out of Kaliforniastan. (I just looked up where Albany CA is... :eek:
B. Buy a nice touring Bike (ST1300s are good for that)
C. Enjoy riding around as much as you can, while you can!

Good luck!

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Don't ever use YouTube for anything remotely educational!!! Tonne of idiots and mis-information. Only use OEM factory service-manual!!!

Only use YouTube for entertainment, like funny cat videos.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Don't ever use YouTube for anything remotely educational!!!
I'll contest this vote.
You most certainly CAN learn valuable information, including technical tasks and mechanical tasks.
But! -- I will agree that you need to have an abundance of common sense, discretion, and a highly-tuned Bullshit Meter.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
True, you just have to be extremely discriminatory on what info you consider to be valid. I'd guestimate less than 1% is worth anything.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow.
Then you might want to watch some other videos, besides " how to grow parsley in a Styrofoam cup."
LOL!
There are some worthwhile instructional videos.
I watch Bret Tcaks, Chris Birch, Itchy Boots (this one not so much for instruction, but education), several drone channels...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, I did a engine 'swap' on one of my ST1100s when the engine grenaded (water pump went south).
Just a bunch of work - and if you are in no hurry - not impossible.
I presume on a ST1300 is would be a bit more complicated due to the electronic stuff.
On the ST1100, it was pretty simple.

Top Bottom