Engine swap

OP
OP
Andy D
I would:

A. Get the heck out of Kaliforniastan. (I just looked up where Albany CA is... :eek:
B. Buy a nice touring Bike (ST1300s are good for that)
C. Enjoy riding around as much as you can, while you can!

Good luck!
I think we will stick it out here...for now. I've had two ST1300's. I sold the 2003, which was perfect, in May because I was digging in my garage, it was in the way and I didn't want to get dirt on it. They are just about perfect (as designed, before they are messed up with handlebar risers, highway pegs, etc), I already have the shop manual and a bunch of left over fasteners and whatever, but I thought I would try something different before I die; however, I'm up for anything that's not too old or used up. I rode ~12k miles through Mexico the last two winters and am maybe looking to do it again...maybe down to Central America. From and an engineering/design POV, the ST1300 engine is the best, but I'm kind of thinking the 1200RT's are way lighter and don't fall over so far if you go someplace you shouldn't.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Circa 1997. I decide to revive a 1986 Honda CB700sc that I found 90+miles away from Lake Tahoe where I lived. I bought the bike for $300. I was looking for a project in the winter time. If I wasn't skiing, working, training, then I needed a project. ha. The inline 4 cylinder bike had a rod sticking out of one cylinder. I'm guessing 7 months and $2200 + my labor, there I was redlining after the initial break-in. My first and only bike I've ever near completely dismantled. The included pic illustrates that I didn't address cosmetics (I was exhausted). For a year and a half I had lotsa fun. The darn thing screamed up to 100mph and took a minute to get to 115 top speed. I recall what tired me the most was chasing parts for only an 11 yr old bike. Bucket list checkoff. I'll channel my energy elsewhere.

Honda CB 700sc #3-enlarged.JPG

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
You know what would be really fun swap... GL1800 flat-6 !!!

Last edited:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Don't ever use YouTube for anything remotely educational!!! Tonne of idiots and mis-information. Only use OEM factory service-manual!!!

Only use YouTube for entertainment, like funny cat videos.
True, you just have to be extremely discriminatory on what info you consider to be valid. I'd guestimate less than 1% is worth anything.
I suppose taken as a totality perhaps you are right. Only 1% of what's on YouTube is worth watching. By the same token I'd also argue that I would only be interested in 1% of the content of the collection in my local library. Like any good tool, you can get the most out of it by learning how to use it. There are many great content creators, educators, channels out on YouTube if one takes a little time to find them. The best part is that it doesn't take long before YouTube's algorithms start recommending channels and topics that it thinks you might be interested in...

Top Bottom