EUropean ferries

Whelp, she is back from the garage, new tires, new brake pads, oil change, hydraulic fluid change, the works.
We are now ready for a holiday ride out.
Mid September I will load the tent, kick the tires and light the fires and head out… just not quite sure where.
I have learned that a new ferry service from Amsterdam to Aberdeen, that would be great as I could swop ferries in Aberdeen and head out with Northlink to the Shetland islands.
That was the original plan, I really, really want to visit the Shetlands, however just learned that the ferry Amsterdam to Aberdeen is freight only, at least for now, should be taking passengers in ´26.
So it is the next one down, to Newcastle, I love that route, there is just something magical to it. I like the long overnight sailing where you can stick your brain in neutral and relax and I have always enjoyed the ferry to Newcastle, the food is great and not too expensive, the beer cold, there is alway live music and a show and dancing and lots of bars. Go outside in a pensive mood, standing on deck in a dark corner on a clear night and you can see the entire milky way above and if the time of the year is right there is the incandescent green glow of luminous plankton disturbed by the passing of the ship, and if you were really lucky you can get a glimpse of the Aurora.
It is like a little cruise on a very comfortable ship. Last time I used it, pre-covid it cost around 500 Euros for there and back. Now you can’t get the trip for under a thousand, you pay more now for one person and a bike than a car and caravan used to be, so big nope!
Next one down is to Hulll. These days for 500 to 600 Euros, but as all sailings are fully booked when I need them Hull is moot.
Harwich…? In the middle of nowhere and too far down from Scotland and too far up for the south to be useful.
SOooo it looks like head to Calais and that cute little campsite at Cap Griz-Nez for a few days of good food and good beer, then take the Calais-Dover ferry for a trip along the south English coast. Never been there so… Why not?
If the weather is good, if not we are heading south.
Neve been to Tunisia... Genua to Tunis is 400 Euros and a 25 hour sailing, really want to take the Pan European to Africa.
Never been to Corsica... The western side of Corsica seems to be a bit of a Mecca for bikes because from some guys I hear that the coastal roads around the dramatic scenery are a blast.

I have been checking the prices for ferries for the last few weeks and to me it seems that the prices for the ferries in the med haven’t changed, pre and post Covid, unlike the ferries to Britain that now cost more than double. Genua to Tunis is 400 Euros and a 25 hour sailing. The ferry to Corsica @around 100 Euros return. Sardinia is also around 100 Euros.

It looks like the UK is off the books, I would like to go but Prices went up allover the North Sea after P&O fired their regular crews and replaced them with cheap crews from an agency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%26O_...nd%20Cairnryan.

What gives? Fire your trained crews and replace them with cheapo untrained labour and rise the prices, guess who is not going to pay for that.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Brittany Ferries are also getting too expensive for me, hopefully their prices will be more realistic in the autumn. I'm hoping to get a final trip in to Normandy before winter sets in.

OP
OP
Slammer
Brittany Ferries are also getting too expensive for me, hopefully their prices will be more realistic in the autumn. I'm hoping to get a final trip in to Normandy before winter sets in.
Heck, just had a look at Brittany ferries. Almost 200 Euros one way from St Malo to Portsmouth. No freaking way :_(
Pity, I would have liked to go to St. Ives.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Heck, just had a look at Brittany ferries. Almost 200 Euros one way from St Malo to Portsmouth. No freaking way :_(
Pity, I would have liked to go to St. Ives.
The cheapest I can get at present is Portsmouth to Caen, but it's too dear for me. I'll wait until the peak season is over.
St Ives is a ghost town in winter because of all the holiday homes and overcrowded in the summer. Best times to visit are May or September.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
SOooo it looks like head to Calais and that cute little campsite at Cap Griz-Nez for a few days of good food and good beer, then take the Calais-Dover ferry for a trip along the south English coast. Never been there so… Why not?
You can always use Le Shuttle (the tunnel). We have used it four times already this year, twice for skiing with the car, once to the a sidecar rally in the Netherlands with the outfit, and more recently in June/July with the solo for our trip to Poland. Return fare was £129.00. Easy travel, ride on, stand by your bike for about 35 mins then ride off!

On our recent tour of Lake Garda we took an overnight Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry and loved it. The advantage being you land on the continent at 8am and can cover decent distance before stopping for the night. The Shuttle or Dover to Calais/Dunkirk wears us out. It always means an early start, by the time you land and wind the clock forward it's mid day already.
On the way back, we took Dunkirk to Dover, it's less crowded and at €50 quite reasonable.
BTW we stopped in Bavaria on both legs of our trip, Rosshaupten near Fussen. Lovely area, great views of the Alps not to mention the food and beer.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow.
I doubt my landlubber ST1300 will ever get a glimpse of a ferry, not even from a dock.
Sadlsor... landlocked but lovin' it anyway.

OP
OP
Slammer
You can always use Le Shuttle (the tunnel). We have used it four times already this year, twice for skiing with the car, once to the a sidecar rally in the Netherlands with the outfit, and more recently in June/July with the solo for our trip to Poland. Return fare was £129.00. Easy travel, ride on, stand by your bike for about 35 mins then ride off!
I did the tunnel once, it was to crossing the channel like McDonalds is to fine dining.

On our recent tour of Lake Garda we took an overnight Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry and loved it. The advantage being you land on the continent at 8am and can cover decent distance before stopping for the night. The Shuttle or Dover to Calais/Dunkirk wears us out. It always means an early start, by the time you land and wind the clock forward it's mid day already.
On the way back, we took Dunkirk to Dover, it's less crowded and at €50 quite reasonable.
BTW we stopped in Bavaria on both legs of our trip, Rosshaupten near Fussen. Lovely area, great views of the Alps not to mention the food and beer.
I suppose it depends on where you want to go, I used to use the Oostenede.Harwich ferry which was a good compromise if I wanted to go to Blackburn and I used to work on the Hamburg Harwich Englandfähre many moons ago, so I always knew what buttons to push for a good discount.

Wow.
I doubt my landlubber ST1300 will ever get a glimpse of a ferry, not even from a dock.
Birmingham Alabama, flew into there a while back, and remember the museum of flight with a SR71 outside.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Wow.
There are a number of river crossing where you can easily see the destination when boarding.

This is us crossing the Ottawa River about 10 years ago

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Wow.
Come to FerrySToc in the spring. We always catch a ferry during our group rides.

Bike
VStrom 650
The Ijmuiden to Newcastle-upon-the-Tyne ferry is so damn expensive because it's extremely popular.
I was looking at pricing, although we won't be using it until next Autumn 2024 and like you say it's £1000.00 return.
In return though we are only 50 miles from North Shields and it means we can avoid hundreds of miles of the PITA A1/M.
I know what you mean about the tunnel but it's painless, quick and cheap.
Upt.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
I've used DFDS from Newhaven to Dieppe, 4 hour crossing, £85 return, using them again next month.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The Ijmuiden to Newcastle-upon-the-Tyne ferry is so damn expensive because it's extremely popular.
Kiel-Oslo is in the same range, depending on cabin class, etc... (Gdansk - Nynashamn (Poland Sweden) is rather affortabe...)
Found the Ijmuiden to Kingston line the most logical and comfortable though, as it brings you pretty far north, saving two riding days and overnight stays up and down...
Fuel, food, B&B accommodation, tire wear... it all ads up...

OP
OP
Slammer
Kiel-Oslo is in the same range, depending on cabin class, etc... (Gdansk - Nynashamn (Poland Sweden) is rather affortabe...)
Found the Ijmuiden to Kingston line the most logical and comfortable though, as it brings you pretty far north, saving two riding days and overnight stays up and down...
Fuel, food, B&B accommodation, tire wear... it all ads up...
From Austria to Oslo I would have thought that taking the car train from either Innsbruck or Munich to Hamburg, then Motoring up to Frederikshaven would be the better option. I love the overnight car train, costs about 300 return and you get breakfast and above all you get to ride along the platform and through the railway station out into Hamburg Altona.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
From Austria to Oslo I would have thought that taking the car train from either Innsbruck or Munich to Hamburg, then Motoring up to Frederikshaven would be the better option.
Munich is no-go, they won't load motorcycles there (only cars)
Oslo - Kiel ferry is very convenient, we'll go Hamburg - Innsbruck by train after the Norway tour, but this still means two days riding back to Vienna (hate to do it on motorway in one day...)
Unfortunately they have discontinued the Vienna - Hamburg car train I used till 2018, either to get to Ijmuiden or Kiel...

Top Bottom