EUropean ferries

OP
OP
Slammer
Munich is no-go, they won't load motorcycles there (only cars)
Oslo - Kiel ferry is very convenient, we'll go Hamburg - Innsbruck by train after the Norway tour, but this still means two days riding back to Vienna (hate to do it on motorway in one day...)
Unfortunately they have discontinued the Vienna - Hamburg car train I used till 2018, either to get to Ijmuiden or Kiel...
I think it has changed as it is no longer Deutsche Bahn who is operating the service and on the website motorbikes are advertised.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slammer
So the verdict is in.... Well. sort of!
A mate of mine had headed out to Albania for 10 days with the missus and rugrat and they had the time of their lives and Albania being Albania was nice and cheap and as I am such a cheapskate it appeals to me, but there are no longer any ferries from Trieste you have to motor down to Ancona for the ferry to Durres which is a ten hour ride where you fall out of the bottom of Germany, through Austria and then a third of the way down the Italian boot.
Or head through Switzerland into Italy to Genua and Bastia on Corsica, some really, really nice camping there and the mountain roads are a blast, I get all giddy just by looking at the maps. It is a seven hour sail to the island, which belongs to France by the way.
So it will be a toss of the coin.

Reactions: Obo

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think it has changed as it is no longer Deutsche Bahn who is operating the service and on the website motorbikes are advertised.
And the ÖBB (Austrian Railway) has finally ceased their Innsbruck<>Hamburg service entirely...
Which leaves Train4You (Urlaubs Express) the only, and expensive, remaining option and that only on two days a week (Fr & Sa)...

Weird, on one hand the constant "go green" propaganda, and then they cancel train services... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom