exhaust mods

Here s a thread which will probably stir the pot a little... has anyone made some modifications to increase exhaust sound ? Im a believer in being heard , a little more... not waking up the neighbours or scaring small children , I like to hear my engine sounds and believe being heard is safer . lets "hear " what anyone has to say !

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
I swapped my stock 1100 exhaust for a set of Delkevic’s. The left hand OEM pipe was blocked so swapping them loved that but at the same time, the Delkevic’s sound much more...

Authoritative?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm happy with the stock exhaust. Louder pipes won't be heard until you're ahead of people. That said, my friend Cary had a set of the Dekelvics. Nice sound, not offensive, and well made.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Harley Riders think Loud Pipes Save Lives...
British Riders think Loud Valves Save Lives...
Problem now a days is, the young kid on the phone who is texting (probably with ear buds in also) won't pay attention to anything but their phone while they are driving, unless its a text message coming in :rofl1:
If your thinking about "modifications" to the stock exhaust, such as drilling holes, removing cats, etc. It will only make your bike run poorly :rolleyes:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like to hear my engine sounds
That's a personal preference. Mine is that the ST's engine isn't really capable of making a loud exhaust note that sounds nice.

Frankly said:
and believe being heard is safer
And that's a ridiculous old biker's tale. Like carbois who like to entertain the lanes with their musical stylings from a 2KW audio system neither is heard in moving traffic until they're right up on the car. By then any endangering maneuver is already probably already in motion.

The "loud pipes save lives" myth is biker code for "I think I'm a badass and wanna piss people off in a passive-aggressive way".

That's not to say I didn't like louder pipes at one time. My 305 and 7.5 had great exhaust notes that were controllable. I knew a couple of instances where my enthusiasm wasn't shared by anybody around me but they were rare and very short lived. Loud for the sake of loud or "safety" was never my agenda.

Now to me the ST's note (which ever ST you have) is more like playing polka music loudly instead of that old time rock and roll or Die Walküre. But some members have installed aftermarket mufflers and are happy. Personal preferences.

Bike
VStrom 650
Save your money, it's complete nonsense for the reasons already given.
Your money would be better spent on a big loud F..K OFF horn.
But it's your money and the ST is never going to sound like a blade through an Akrapovic.
Upt'North.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Here s a thread which will probably stir the pot a little... has anyone made some modifications to increase exhaust sound ? Im a believer in being heard , a little more... not waking up the neighbours or scaring small children , I like to hear my engine sounds and believe being heard is safer . lets "hear " what anyone has to say !
I've heard of people taking a large drill and going up thru the 2 holes in each of the OEM pipes to puncture some of the baffles. Not my cup of tea, but it's been done.
I think there are how to threads here in the forum.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Harley Riders think Loud Pipes Save Lives...
British Riders think Loud Valves Save Lives...
Problem now a days is, the young kid on the phone who is texting (probably with ear buds in also) won't pay attention to anything but their phone while they are driving, unless its a text message coming in :rofl1:
If your thinking about "modifications" to the stock exhaust, such as drilling holes, removing cats, etc. It will only make your bike run poorly :rolleyes:

Yep. Just this morning I watched motorcycle officer attempting to pull over a speeding driver who was also....on the phone....oblivious to the christmas tree behind her and oblivious to 60 or so in a 40 zone. The officer pulled up adjacent to her door and turned on the siren...she pulled over. Inattentive to her surroundings, or on the popular 'ignore the pig' bandwagon?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Two Bros exhaust....!!! Loose 20 pounds and gain 6 hp. Sounds really good too. If too loud, buy the power tips and it reduces the noise by 6db. Love mine.!!!
IMG_20190619_203154.jpg

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Jul 31, 2019
I won't ride behind you on a group ride... :( And Two Brothers... forget about it! JMHO of course.

John

John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
1991 Honda ST1100 in Sparkling Silver Metallic, "The Grey GhOOST" (the ST, not me!)
Bettendorf, Iowa
I was in an old desirable 30s 40s neighborhood last week, rounded a five mile an hour curve in first and cracked it wide open to 7 grand. Wow, those old 2 brothers sounded like a war broke out behind me with the exhaust bouncing off that block of houses. Thats the sounds that brought me to motorcycling when a big loud 70 yellow Norton Commando came ripping around the neighborhood, whats street do you live on John:)

OP
OP
That's a personal preference. Mine is that the ST's engine isn't really capable of making a loud exhaust note that sounds nice.

And that's a ridiculous old biker's tale. Like carbois who like to entertain the lanes with their musical stylings from a 2KW audio system neither is heard in moving traffic until they're right up on the car. By then any endangering maneuver is already probably already in motion.

The "loud pipes save lives" myth is biker code for "I think I'm a badass and wanna piss people off in a passive-aggressive way".

That's not to say I didn't like louder pipes at one time. My 305 and 7.5 had great exhaust notes that were controllable. I knew a couple of instances where my enthusiasm wasn't shared by anybody around me but they were rare and very short lived. Loud for the sake of loud or "safety" was never my agenda.

Now to me the ST's note (which ever ST you have) is more like playing polka music loudly instead of that old time rock and roll or Die Walküre. But some members have installed aftermarket mufflers and are happy. Personal preferences.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Im a believer in being heard
Fallacy. Your exhaust points backwards, so the sound propagates backwards. The only people that will hear you are the people you just passed. That's unproductive.

If your goal is safety (and I assume it is, based on your belief in other people hearing you), then louder exhausts do precisely diddly squat to help you.

Your only true defense is space.

Noisy exhaust is not safe.

Excessive speed is not safe.

Only distance.

Others will disagree, and I'm fine with that. But after nearly 1.5 million consecutive accident-free miles in all manner of vehicles (commercial, motorcycles, and otherwise), only one traffic incident in 26 years, and a strong adherence to (and being a former instructor in) something called Smith System, I think I've developed a pretty workable ethos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I am having trouble posting new thread , so here we go. need replacement brake pads, front and rear , could some one provide reliable aftermarket supplier advice , or who to avoid ? Thanks

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I am having trouble posting new thread , so here we go. need replacement brake pads, front and rear , could some one provide reliable aftermarket supplier advice , or who to avoid ? Thanks
I would buy OEM pads. To start a new thread, go to the appropriate forum, and click Post Thread

1591993471545.png

And please state what bike you have in your post, and/or put it in your avatar info.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Speaking Frankly......... as others have suggested this is probably a waste of money. Ride defensively and install a very loud horn. I use my horn a couple of times a year, usually for someone not checking their blindspot.

...................need replacement brake pads, front and rear , could someone provide reliable aftermarket supplier advice , or who to avoid............?
Frankly, as per paulcb noted OEM is the way to go for pads, front and rear. If you wish go to the brakes forum and you can find many many posts from members who have tried other brands (EBC for example) and virtually everyone says that OEM pads provide the best value for money, last a long time, perform reasonably well and don't chew up your rotors.

Top Bottom