Faded lower fairings

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just noticed that the lower plastic fairings have faded pretty severely on my '04 ST1300. They almost match the silver color of the aluminum frame, and need to be restored. Paint might be one option. I have also used Mother's Back to Black on other bikes,,, but find that fades again,, and needs reapplication a couple of times a year. Also,,, it is not as black as most parts are originally. Has anyone else had good or bad luck refinishing these lower panels,,, and how did you do it ?? thx,, Cat'

I've heard that heating faded black pastic with a heat gun works not to hot to melt it mind!!

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
I've heard that heating faded black pastic with a heat gun works not to hot to melt it mind!!
I used that method on my old volvos bumpers. It worked, but only for some months.
How about taking the fairings off, clean them, and then spray them with some black paint from a spraycan?
Did that on a previous zuki and it looked fine. Sorry, ain't got any pics of it...
SToo

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Krylon makes a flat black fusion paint. Their fusion paint actually bonds withe the plastic chemically. Vet used it on several,other things, including my Nissan Xterras faded grill. It works brilliantly, just go slow and don't let it run. Check the color on a part you can't see first.

Goodluck... Let us know what you figure out?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
There is a really good thread on restoring your panniers and the author found a paint that made the black parts of an ST pannier look like new. I think it was the Krylon - which is widely available at Can. Tire and Home Depot.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I got nice results on grey parts fading on my 1100's with Spray Cleaner & Polish; preventive as well as curing bleached spots.
Spray on a good layer, let it soak for an hour or so, then wipe off excessive liquid while rubbing/polishing the plastic with the now soaked rag.
Nurtures the plastics and won't wash off that soon.

Others soak the black 1300 parts (like the inner pannier shells) with WD40, claiming their shiny then... yes, till a ride in rain or cleaning the bike causes the oil to wash off again.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I used WD-40 as well as a number of other cleaner/polish options. WD-40 actually worked the best and lasted the longest.
I did that untill I had the lower parts off for maintenance one time and panted them. Can't tell they have been painted and about 8 months later they still look good other than being dirty.
Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably nothing looks as good as a new part and there are many methods that give some level of improvement. In May of 2014 I applied a product called Wipe New on the black plastic parts that were fading to a grey. Applied to directions the stuff initially looked REALLY GREAT but I was expecting it to fade again rather quickly. 17 months later it still looks REALLY GREAT with just a hint of losing what it initially restored. I might have to do it again next spring after two years.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Wow - that does look really good ddeulin! Wipe New - interesting.
I just Googled New Wipe, see that Target has it for $15. I need to get some to see what it can do for my panniers and fairing lowers. I have also tried a few approaches to this problem to no avail. If the New Wipe doesn't do the trick, guess I'll resort to paint.

Edit: oops, dyslexia is at it again - Wipe New is what I looked for on the 'net,,,

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'll second wipe new, I've used it on several bikes, Jeep fenders and plastic on several cars. Two years later they still look great. When first applied the look is a bit glossy but that goes away.

Jeff

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Anyone ever respray with pickup box liner? I did the front bull bars on a van and it worked good. Seems like it would work good on the lower fairings, etc. of the ST. Has a bit of a crackle finish.

Rod

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Has anyone ever tried black shoe polish? I read it on another forum. Sounds interesting but I don't know how it would ever stick.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
A friend of mine (that owns a body shop) gave me this Plastic Restorer. Says it is made in Germany, not sure if it can be purchased commercially. It works great, and has lasted years.

Attachments

Top Bottom