Faded lower fairings

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Boiled linseed oil. No personal data yet on how long it lasts before it needs renewal but since it took all of ten minutes to do both sides of the lower fairing it could be part of the tupperware removal and reinstallation ritual...

Guess which is the before and which the after?

It goes on fast and easy with no muss or fuss-- MUCH easier than painting. No overspray, dries nearly instantly, no propellant odor, completely natural product... what's not to like? Oh, and it's $8/quart and my local big box home improvement store.

Dunno how it would stack up to Wipe New, but the quart sized can I got will last my lifetime and, probably, the lifetime of the bike (which I expect to outlive me).

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is what I just used. Results as shown. Ask me in a year about longevity. mgrs 1.jpgmgrs 2.jpg
+1

There used to be some stuff called Black Jack, but its seems to have become rare.

Side benefit of using silicon instead of oil to repel new dirt is that it works a bit better.

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I used back to black once,,, and it looked better for a while,, like a week or two. Then I bought a can of Krylon flat black satin spray paint,,, and they have looked great for years,,, CAt'

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Project Farm does some of the best, well planned and executed, real-world tests of garage and shop products. I especially like how his videos are his concise and information-packed. Very little fat; no ten minute intro for thirty seconds of real information.

Oh, and I have a bottle of the Turtle Wax Trim Restorer. It's worthless.

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am surprised to see this thread alive again. Was just replacing plastics last week,,, and noticed that the Krylon paint is holding up very well,, over 4 years now,, no noticeable fade,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Top Bottom