Fair Price for an unsold 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC?

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I live in northeast NJ, and leaning strongly toward the Tiger 800XC. Or at least I was until I spotted photos of the new Tiger Sport!

There is a brand new one sitting on the floor of a nearby dealer. Been there for much of the past year. Color white which I like but may not be as much in demand. List price is $11,999, plus destination of something like $800.

My question is, how much of a discount do you think the dealer might be open to? I know this is highly subjective and dependent upon a ton of variables. Wondering about going in with cash in hand and offer $1,500 or $2,000 off the price . . . since its the dead of winter, its now 2013 and that bike is a 2012, and the new bikes (including the afore mentioned Tiger Sport) keep being introduced.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Mid winter, half way through January, lousy weather, I say go for it. If you have cash in hand, you have a valuable bargaining tool.
All they can say is yes or no. :shrug2:

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
I just bought a White Tiger Roadie. I didn't have to pay the transportation charges and with prior military got another 350 off. I also got 15% off on Triumph accessories.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I always say make a ridiculous offer. I don't think you would be out of line. I paid 11,9?? OTD for my 2012 800XC two years ago this coming May. I had a tag to transfer. Pretty sure that was the first month for the 2012, I think they only made 2011s for about four months before that. They were tired of looking at me.

Naturally I haven't ridden a 1050 Sport but I like the 800 much better than the current 1050 which I have ridden. I rode an Explorer the other day and see no reason to trade the 800.

Have you ridden an 800?

Good luck and keep us informed?

Edit, at the time the MSRP was 11,800 and price included 6.5% sales tax.

Last edited:
I was in the market for an 800XC this past summer and they were willing to sell the bike for 2k less than SRP since it had 400 miles on it. I'm sure you should be able to do the same now for a leftover.

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
Great bike, good power and LIGHT, consequently it handles good in the mounains. 250 lbs less than the ST. Best transmission I have ever had.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Some times cash is not an advantage. Some dealers get a percentage of the total financed. So by taking cash they loose money. Most Triumph dealers I have seen don't drop prices much on left overs. Not like honda and such anyway. However it never hurts to ask.

Agree with Smallville. If you have the cash, finance it to get the best price. Tell them you want a 12 month loan and pay that sucker off before the 1st payment is due.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk HD

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hard to imagine you can't get some money off a non-current model year bike, but I'm curious about what happens. I keep hearing from Triumph dealers that they are not allowed to discount bikes off MSRP, that the only discounts they can offer are related to accessories or if Triumph offers a special that all dealers can offer.

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Great answers guys. Sure appreciate the wisdom and encouragement! You're encouraging me to be bold and not risk offending them. As noted, the worst thing they can do is say no! Will think about the numbers . . . and wait until after I go to the Jacob Javitz MC show this weekend!

Any other thoughts or insights? Love to hear 'em.

How many dealers in a 200 mile radius have a leftover? If that dealer knew you were talking to another and were willing to drive a bit he may be more willing to work with ya. OR, show interest in another brand bike and it has come down to the two of them. I used this when buying my Super Tenere. Told them I was really liking the 800XC, and I really was, but for me I wanted the bigger bike for the long hauls and wind protection. Plus I knew if I got the Tiger I would put that thing thru more in the woods and I simply can't afford to tear it up when it's my only bike.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Hard to imagine you can't get some money off a non-current model year bike, but I'm curious about what happens. I keep hearing from Triumph dealers that they are not allowed to discount bikes off MSRP, that the only discounts they can offer are related to accessories or if Triumph offers a special that all dealers can offer.
Exactly what I have heard, maybe here on this site. Let us know what the outcome and how it plays out so we might all learn. Good luck...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If at a dealer that won't deal you should look for another dealer.
This is exactly what I have been told Triumph is trying to prevent by requiring sticker price. The company is expanding the dealer network (two new dealers within 60 miles of me in the past year) and they want them all to be successful. That won't happen if dealers work to undercut each other. The idea is that if there is no price incentive for a customer to buy a bike from a particular dealer, then buyers will tend to go to their "neighborhood Triumph dealer" to buy their bike and build a relationship. I have heard this explanation separately from three Triumph dealers in Massachusetts, one whose been selling Triumph for years and the two who are new to Triumph (but not to selling motorcycles) in 2012.

All of which is to say, I am interested in what Dennis finds out.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe that's why it's still there....

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Bones I know what you are saying but think they are lying to you. I hope so as I don't think that policy would work. People are fickle. They would go to another brand they don't even want just because they can get $500 off. Even if it costs more.

I think if one is seriously interested in buying you should make an offer and be ready to walk multiple times. Figure what you are willing to pay and be fair in your number. Then make an offer quite a bit less. Don't ask what they will take, make an OTD offer (much simpler to keep track of that way). Get to know them to let them know you are serious (I looked 4 or 5 times before buying). I basically paid MSRP plus $1?? "tag and title" OTD. So basically MSRP minus 6.5% (amount of sales tax). Not the greatest deal but the bike was brand new out at the time and there wasn't much dealing. I would expect a better deal if I was buying the same bike now since it has been out a couple years.

This is my first new bike except for CT70s and if they had been around a couple years I would have been looking for a used one. The great thing about motorcycles is that a lot of people have to have one then find out it isn't for them and they sit. Basically new used bikes.

Waiting to find out Dennis learns too. Good Luck

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Bones I know what you are saying but think they are lying to you. I hope so as I don't think that policy would work.
When I was looking at a Tiger Explorer, I talked to three dealers in person and asked each about pricing. The first one (in Massachusetts and new to Triumph) told me that I could expect to pay sticker because that's how Triumph sells bikes...sell according to Triumph policy or don't sell Triumph, the dealership was told. I asked a second dealer (in Mass, long time Triumph dealer) about the policy and he said yes, that's the case, but he'd work with me on a discount off accessories. To see if this was so much hooey, I called a Triumph dealer at random in California and asked what I could expect to pay for an Explorer. He told me the price, which was sticker. I asked what I could realistically expect for bottom line out the door and he said sticker. I asked if that was a Triumph policy. He said didn't know whether charging sticker was Triumph policy but charged sticker because he didn't need to discount the bikes to sell them. More recently I saw a new Triumph dealer (in Connecticut but closest to my home in Mass, newest Triumph dealer in my area). He had a factory rep's Trophy for me to check out and sit on. I was curious about the whole "sticker price" thing so I asked for his best price out the door and let him tell me. He said Triumph requires all dealers to sell bikes for the same price. If a discount is offered by Triumph, then every dealer can offer it, otherwise the sticker price is the price. I was offered a $500 credit toward accessories if I purchased a Trophy SE.

So that's my experience. Seems like too many people in too many separate locations over too much time with a similar story to have everyone lying. I'd love to be proven wrong because I'd rather pay less for a Triumph, which, if I were buying a bike today, is almost certainly what I'd buy. That's why I'm so interested to see what happens with this leftover.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
So just now, just for fun, I looked at the websites for the three Triumph dealers near to me. One, Green River Powersports, has "Call For Price" listed for the Tiger 800 in the 2012 model year page. So I called and said, "What's the price?" What I was told is that the dealership had "hit the program objective from Triumph" so they are allowed to offer a discount on leftover models on the floor. What they have left is a venom yellow Tiger 800 ABS that normally sold for $10,999 plus Triumph's destination fee, plus dealer setup, plus the dealership's documentation fee. The sales guy said Triumph allowed them to wave the destination fee, so the bottom line offer was $10,948 out the door. Only extra cost is sales tax to the state in which the bike will be registered. When I said that wasn't much of a discount for a leftover he said that Triumph sets prices, unlike Honda (which they also sell). He said he could work with me on a discount for accessories.

Performance Cycles has some "call for price" 2012 Triumphs listed so I called them about a Tiger Explorer 1200. They have blue and graphite on the floor. I asked what kind of deal he could offer me. The sales guy said they were waiting for Triumph to contact them with any price promotions on the leftover Explorers but they haven't heard anything yet." He offered to make me a deal with accessories.

I still want to know what happens when someone walks in with cash.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
The sales guy said Triumph allowed them to wave the destination fee, so the bottom line offer was $10,948 out the door. Only extra cost is sales tax to the state in which the bike will be registered. When I said that wasn't much of a discount for a leftover he said that Triumph sets prices, unlike Honda (which they also sell). He said he could work with me on a discount for accessories.

I still want to know what happens when someone walks in with cash.
My way of thinking OTD includes sales tax and everything else. Total price.

If you are ready to buy and have a number in mind make them an offer considerably less than that. You need to be ready to buy and not be bashful. Until there is an offer made there is no negotiation, it's basically just asking the price. If they run to their sales manager with your offer you know it's negotiable. They don't like to negotiate until they know you are serious. Sometimes meaning sign a paper with your offer. They aren't going to get serious if you are only window shopping.

I haven't seen this pricing strategy discussed on any of the Triumph forums. Maybe I missed it.

Top Bottom