Fair Price for an unsold 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I haven't seen this pricing strategy discussed on any of the Triumph forums. Maybe I missed it.
It's discussed regularly on Tiger-Explorer.com. Try searching MSRP on the site and take your pick. This one was the first returned:
http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,2369.0.html

EDIT:
FWIW, I'd love to be proven wrong about this Triumph "policy" because that could save me money when it comes time to buy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Looking like things just might work out with a nearby dealer. Will share the numbers once a deal is hopefully confirmed. For now, I have a few questions I'm hoping others can help me with.

Are there any changes between the 2012 and the 2013 models? All along I've been assuming there are absolutely none but it would be good to have this confirmed. Also, I'm thinking that at the time of purchase I will add a center stand and the additional front lights. Are there any aftermarket options to consider for those two items or should I stick with ones made by Triumph? Are there any additional accessories that you would suggest? Any other issues or concerns I should be thinking about for day of delivery? Many thanks! Will keep you posted.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Are there any changes between the 2012 and the 2013 models? All along I've been assuming there are absolutely none but it would be good to have this confirmed. Also, I'm thinking that at the time of purchase I will add a center stand and the additional front lights. Are there any aftermarket options to consider for those two items or should I stick with ones made by Triumph? Are there any additional accessories that you would suggest? Any other issues or concerns I should be thinking about for day of delivery?
If you havent already done so you might post your questions over on the Tiger 800 Forum as well.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
As for the pricing, our local dealer has a left over Explorer with all the bells. He is very interested in selling and hinted at a ~$2k discount. I said I had heard rumor of Triumph trying to get their mark on each sale. Salesman said we try to get the mark but we ain't stupid. I interpreted that to mean they will discount. Headed back there today to see if they have a Trophy on the floor and get some Pappy's BBQ while we're in the neighborhood!!!!!!

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Are there any changes between the 2012 and the 2013 models? All along I've been assuming there are absolutely none but it would be good to have this confirmed. Also, I'm thinking that at the time of purchase I will add a center stand and the additional front lights. Are there any aftermarket options to consider for those two items or should I stick with ones made by Triumph? Are there any additional accessories that you would suggest? Any other issues or concerns I should be thinking about for day of delivery? Many thanks! Will keep you posted.
I think I read somewhere that the 2013 has a different computer/ECU. I can't find it now though. I don't know if that's true or good or bad either. The 2011 and 2012 is after market "tunable" (Tune ECU and Tune Boy). I know the Tiger Explorer is not by any after market means (maybe same computer as 2013 800?).

I added the Triumph center stand also. I think the after market one requires removing the charcoal cannister. Makes tire changes and chain lubing much easier. I would like the Triumph fog lights but don't want to spend the money. But when I do it will be the Triumph ones. They are plug and play and look nice. I also want to add a Bazzaz fuel controller when my warranty runs out.

I have added cruise control, Palmer windshield SW Motech mounts with Givi Trekker bags, Bead Rider, Rox Risers and BMW grips (the same ones people on here use on the ST 1300.

Keep us informed, it's an awesomely fun bike.

Good Luck

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I live in northeast NJ, and leaning strongly toward the Tiger 800XC. Or at least I was until I spotted photos of the new Tiger Sport!

There is a brand new one sitting on the floor of a nearby dealer. Been there for much of the past year. Color white which I like but may not be as much in demand. List price is $11,999, plus destination of something like $800.

My question is, how much of a discount do you think the dealer might be open to? I know this is highly subjective and dependent upon a ton of variables. Wondering about going in with cash in hand and offer $1,500 or $2,000 off the price . . . since its the dead of winter, its now 2013 and that bike is a 2012, and the new bikes (including the afore mentioned Tiger Sport) keep being introduced.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Ok, so here's the update. Made a pretty low offer today to the dealer. '12 leftover 800xc in the color I want. His counter offer was $10,700 plus sales tax and some document fees. Freight and prep are waived. Additionally, there are 2 accessories I'd like which add up to about $500, for those there was no discount and about $100 to install. I asked if he could move any further to meet my offer which was still $1300 lower for total OTD, his words were, "I'm all in."

To sum it up: I offered 11,000 total OTD (including those 2 accessories, and sales tax which is 7%), he offered about 12,300.

Looks like about $2,000 discounted from full list and the usual freight and prep charges.

What do you think? Is there wisdom in trying to further negotiate? We are in the middle of an intense cold spell. the least appealing month, for most people, to buy! Looking for a great deal, plus a good long term relationship for service needs.

Thanks!

Edit: bike is also eligible for 4.75% Triumph financing. Dealer has no preference on cash or finance.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
In 11 when I was looking I found 3 2010 leftover Rocket III touring models and 1 2009 leftovers in dealerships across the SE.

All were listed for 16,999.

All dealerships refused a cash offer of 15200 OTD staing Triumph established the pricing and they had no leeway.

It was fun pulling into 2 of them on the ST and showing the saleman my new bike.

My experience with them is that they will not negotiate much.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Sounds like a good deal time me. I found a leftover Tiger Explorer at a not-too-far-away dealer that would sell with heated grips, low seat and top case for less than the stock bike's MSPR with no freight or setup charge. If I were actually in the market (that new septic system has told me NO) and meeting with the dealer in person I'd haggle for less. Same bike last summer would have gone for MSPR plus freight and setup and accessories. Seems leftovers are the way to get a deal with Triumph. :)

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
MSRP 11,999
Options installed 600
7% tax 881.93
Total 13480.93

OTD -12300

Less than MSRP 1180.93

Savings of 1180.93 plus whatever freight and prep are.

Not bad. There may be room for more but is it worth the wait for a couple hundred dollars. However no riding season there per your post. The warranty would be running while sitting in the garage. However the price might go up if you wait.

Your call

FWIW This is an extremely fun bike. I have had it for almost two years now. I am usually itchy to move on by now but have no plans to. Rode the Explorer. It was faster but IMHO that was the only category (well maybe cruise control but I added that) it beat the 800 in.

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Buyer's Remorse on the Tiger !

After nearly 2 months of waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and for things at work to calm down following Easter, yesterday I finally brought home my 2012 Tiger 800XC. Have put about 70 miles on it so far.

Am a longtime Honda rider: GL1800 and then ST1300 most recently. Due to work, family, and health issues, no bike for the past 2 years, and this is my long overdue step of getting involved in one of my greatest interests and passions.

Have probably taken about 5 demo rides on the T800 since its release. Always marveled at its comfortable ergos, power, and fun factor.

So as of now, day 2 of ownership, I wish I had held off on the purchase. During the past few weeks I've followed the news reports and ADVrider thread regarding the Honda CB1100. I'm right in the demographic that Honda is aiming for -- 50 years old, grew up on Honda, always admired the CB750, and during the 1980's had a few smaller 4 cylinder Hondas. Then 2 GL's, then the ST. As soon as I pulled in the garage last night and stepped back from the Tiger, I just began to feel buyers remorse. Kept walking around it to get a really exciting angle for a photo, or just to admire it. Most angles not as exciting as in the dealer showroom! So today I went to a nearby Honda dealer, on the Tiger, and was actually able to demo a CB1100. Believe it or not I was pulled over by a motor cop during the demo for cutting into the other lane of traffic to merge toward an exit. It was one of those situations where I waited until the last possible minute to merge. He let me go with a stern warning.

I loved the ride on the CB. Smooth, smooth power, and an entire experience that just took me back in time 30 years. The sound, the smell, the feel, everything. And staring at it in the sun after the ride felt the same way. Would have much preferred to ride that home instead of my brand spanking new Tiger.

My wife is not going to be too happy about me trading this bike in any time soon!! Any one else ever have an experience like this? Any wise counsel? My present plan is to enjoy the Tiger for the season ahead, and likely trade in for the Honda next spring. I also have a 30+ year relationship with the Honda dealer, so would hopefully get a minimum of a spanking on the trade. Heck, maybe it will even be blue in 2014, the color of my first 3 Hondas way back when.

Wonder what my therapist would say about all of this! Hah! I love the hunt for new bikes, and confess that oftentimes the anticipation of owning one is much more exciting than the reality of it being in my garage. Even still, that CB1100 is all I can think of right now.

Thanks.

Bike
99 ST1100
You're a very sick man...and I fear the only cure may be a new CB1100!

I'm sure your wife will understand :rofl1:

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Your situation is exactly what keeps me from rushing out and buying the latest thing that shimmers. I know it has to be really, really good to surpass my ST1300 or else I will feel just like you. The stakes would be different if I had a garage full of bikes.

Keep us posted. Remember, there is a possibility that the Tiger may grow on you. You may end up liking much more than you first thought.

Re: Buyer's Remorse on the Tiger !

I just began to feel buyers remorse.... Any one else ever have an experience like this? Any wise counsel? My present plan is to enjoy the Tiger for the season ahead, and likely trade in for the Honda next spring.
I came down with a CRAZY sense of buyers remorse when I bought the ST. Sold my 18 year old BMW to get the ST. Almost made me sick to "admit" that I was on a Honda. It took a few months to get over it, but the more time I spent on the ST, the more I liked the bike. Don't miss the Beemer at all now. Glad I made the change. Bottom line, brand names are over-rated. If you like the bike you're sitting on, enjoy the ride and don't stress over the name on the tank.

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
Re: Buyer's Remorse on the Tiger !

Wonder what my therapist would say about all of this! Hah! I love the hunt for new bikes, and confess that oftentimes the anticipation of owning one is much more exciting than the reality of it being in my garage. Even still, that CB1100 is all I can think of right now.
Exactly the reason I'm holding off on taking a test ride on the CB1100 ... until I can come to grips with owning two street bikes. Your demographics and bike history are virtually identical to mine.

MTGMTT

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Here it is a year later and my dealer is dangling a leftover 2012 Tiger 800 in front of me. It's been accessorized-a cursory look and its got some kind of fog/driving lights, an Arrow exhaust, and some kind of engine bars at least. He said he can offer a pretty good discount on the bike and will price the accessories below cost. I wonder what fair price for the bike is now?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Wow! They should treat you right on a leftover 2012. You might check values on low mile used 2012s and it should be worth something more than those. Once you ride it out it is a used 2012. The only thing you have is zero miles and a warranty over other used bikes. Which is worth something.

Buy it! I still love mine.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Wow! They should treat you right on a leftover 2012. You might check values on low mile used 2012s and it should be worth something more than those. Once you ride it out it is a used 2012. The only thing you have is zero miles and a warranty over other used bikes. Which is worth something.

Buy it! I still love mine.
I've checked out cycle trader and used ones go from a low of $7,499 with 25K to $10,495 for one with 495 miles on it. There were about 20 of them for sale, but they ranged from no accessories to pretty loaded which makes an apples to apples comparison difficult. There are a few new ones still for sale and most say "call for price" which does me no good. I did find one for $11,399 in El Paso and another for $9,999 in Arizona making ten grand look like a very good price.

Top Bottom