Finally finished my One wheel trailer and Hitch!!

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Well my winter project of building a one wheel trailer is finally done!!! Thanks to ScubaDave!! for his design. Since I was unsuccessful in purchasing a unigo hitch(long story posted in other threads), myself and JonB decided to build our own. We worked with a local welder/fabricator and built two of them. The welder was unable to work with round tubing, so we used square stock, which worked just as good. I then had the hitch and fender powered coated. The hitch now looks like I bought it from the factory! The trailer I ended up painting myself. This weekend I got to take it out for a test ride...It rode beautiful!!! I have a couple of minor tweaks to do, but nothing major. I first drove it around town...after about five mins or so, you actually forgot it was back there! Then took it out on the highway...I actually had to slow down cause I definately forgot it was there! Again, rode nice and no swaying at speed, High Speed!! I am very happy with the result and can't wait to take it on my first trip coming up in a couple of weeks, until then will take it locally to break it in.

Attachments

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Nice work Dave! With the wheel all the way at the rear, all the weight added to the trailer will rest on the hitch. How's it handle loaded down? Do you have a weight limit in mind?

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Thanks!! That picture of the bike coming out of the garage is not a good shot, since it is going down hill. The front actually sits up a little and I will put the heavy items in the back closer to the rear wheel. I did test it with about 20-25 lbs so far and it handled good. I will really load it up this week and try it out again. ScubaDave has had his for awhile and has loaded it up quite well with no issues or handling problems. I guess only time will tell for sure! :bow1:

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Looks nice Dave, I look forward to seeing it sometime.

Bike
99 ST1100
Very Nice! You probably got out of with le$$ than the $2,500 or so I see them selling trailers for at the STealers.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Ummmmm.... from the pictures it looks like you've 'locked' the suspension on the bike???? I hope that is only an 'optical' illusion... Otherwise, it looks very nice...
:cool:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ummmmm.... from the pictures it looks like you've 'locked' the suspension on the bike???? I hope that is only an 'optical' illusion... Otherwise, it looks very nice...
The swingarm is what moves... the attachment points are the upper subframe, frame and exhaust hanger areas which don't have anything to do with moving suspension. That's how most ST1100/ST1300 hitches are attached...

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
HUH???? don't know what you are talking about....I haven't locked anything...everything on the bike still functions great!!! Not sure what you are looking at...must be an optical illusion.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I recently came to the realization, with a load on the trailer, plus the hitch itself, my tongue weight was nearly equal to the load I used to carry on the bike. So, the trailer will be relegated to the relatively rare 2-up rides. Just more simple to pack the bedroom and kitchen on the passenger seat/luggage rack.

Gotta say, tho, never had a towing problem with the trailer. Even with the couple glitches I've had, it tows great even at speed.

Dave, yur build looks great. Good job there.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Thanks George....I do like your perpective on packing...That was my thought too. What I use to pack on the back of the bike for a long trip with definately be more than my tongue weight. I really built it because both myself and my girlfriend love to camp and cook but could never carry everything on the bike for camping and cooking with the two of us. I am hoping the trailer will make things a little easier!! Get to the campsite, drop the trailer and go out riding!!!

The lower attachment point does not articulate with the rear wheel / swing arm. If it did the pipes would swing up and down.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I have a question. I see that you have a safety cable like most trailers have. I know that there are requirements for safety chains on trailers. But if the trailer came off wouldn't you want it to not be connected and to get away from you? Wouldn't that cause you to lose control of the bike?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Very nice!!! I really like the hitch design- it will make it much more rigid than the commercially available ones. You won't get the side to side flex. Some points-

-I like the choice of box. Aerodynamic, light weight, and water tight.
-Nice hitch attachment points.
-I would have added a simple suspension to the rear wheel, but I think you'll be fine without it.
-Safety cables- As long as they are designed and attached properly, I think you can use them. The trailer will be light. BUT- for proper placement, make sure they cross under the tongue and will keep it off the ground if it comes detached. If that tongue hits the ground and catches, you will be in trouble. Also make sure it can't go forward into the rear tire. Test it by unhooking the hitch and hanging the tongue by the cables and move that tongue everywhere possible. Make sure it can't hit anything vital, like the road or the tire.

Very nice design overall!

Jim

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
It looks like he used the same wheel/axle I did. It is a torsion axle so he does have a suspension ;>)

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Very nice!!! I really like the hitch design- it will make it much more rigid than the commercially available ones. You won't get the side to side flex. Some points-

-I like the choice of box. Aerodynamic, light weight, and water tight.
-Nice hitch attachment points.
-I would have added a simple suspension to the rear wheel, but I think you'll be fine without it.
-Safety cables- As long as they are designed and attached properly, I think you can use them. The trailer will be light. BUT- for proper placement, make sure they cross under the tongue and will keep it off the ground if it comes detached. If that tongue hits the ground and catches, you will be in trouble. Also make sure it can't go forward into the rear tire. Test it by unhooking the hitch and hanging the tongue by the cables and move that tongue everywhere possible. Make sure it can't hit anything vital, like the road or the tire.

Very nice design overall!

Jim
Jim, It has suspension on the trailer. I can say after towing mine for over 5000 miles last year it works great.

Chains are required on a trailer. To those who would say I do not want it to stay attached if the connection point fails, how do you feel about the others on the road who it may hit. To me I made the choice to tow, so I take the risk. I have no right to risk others because I want to feel safer.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Chains are required on a trailer.
Not required on a motorcycle trailer, but I personally would use them for the very reasons you point out, just make sure they don't put the rider in further jeopardy if they aren't set up correctly. And good to see it has suspension- I give it an A+ then for an overall well thought out design.

NH law:
TITLE XXI — MOTOR VEHICLES (Includes Chapters 259 - 269)
CHAPTER 266 — EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Section 266:63 Trailer Breakaway Safety Chains.

Every trailer or semi-trailer including farm and agricultural vehicles shall have, in addition to the tow-bar or coupling device, a safety chain or cable to prevent breakaway from the towing vehicle. Each chain or cable shall have an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the trailer and load being towed. Chains or cables shall be connected to the towed and towing vehicle to prevent the tow-bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow-bar fails. This provision shall not apply to:
I. Truck-tractor and semi-trailer units equipped with fifth wheel mechanisms;
II. Full trailers being driven as part of a truck-tractor, semi-trailer, or full trailer unit when the full trailer is attached to the semi-trailer by means of a converter dolly or fifth wheel mechanism;
III. Trailers being towed by motorcycles; or
IV. Farm implements towed behind farm tractors, if the hitch pin used to connect such implement to the tractor has an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the implement and is fitted with a safety clip or lock mechanism to prevent dislodging of the pin by vibration or shock in conformance to standards of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers.

Top Bottom