Finally finished my One wheel trailer and Hitch!!

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
HUH???? don't know what you are talking about....I haven't locked anything...everything on the bike still functions great!!! Not sure what you are looking at...must be an optical illusion.
Yep. Optical illusion. I guess I need to build me one now... First gotta buy a welder... Nice job...
P.S. where did you get the U joint?
:cool:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Trailer does work for lots of things, much easier to haul BULK! Also, much easier to pack for two as mentioned above. And, ++ about pulling into camp, dropping the trailer then... GO RIDE!!!

Still, I ride full tilt boogie with the load on the back, or the trailer attached, so the last item is less important to me.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I have a question. I see that you have a safety cable like most trailers have. I know that there are requirements for safety chains on trailers. But if the trailer came off wouldn't you want it to not be connected and to get away from you? Wouldn't that cause you to lose control of the bike?
Hopefully I will never find out!

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
It may not be the law in NH, but what about other states. My feeling is have them no issues with the law, don't have them and at some point you will find the law you just broke..

Bike
2006 ST1300
Since its an equipment law rather than a traffic law, it goes by the state you are registered in. But it would save any question, and I'm 100% with you that I wouldn't want to put anyone else at risk.

Jim

Sent from my SCH-R880 using Tapatalk

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I would love to have one on the ninja. Biggest use? Grocery shopping.... I could grocery shop even with 2 dogs and 2 cats to buy for on the ST. Can't make it work on the Ninja in one trip. As for long trips? I only take one, maybe two trips a year that I might want the trailer. And even then I would probably just pack everything on the bike (it fits).
What about the liability when it does 'get away' and causes a worse wreck where someone gets killed?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
? wrong quote?
Correct quote, Ash. Smash was thinking about you groceries leaving the bike and smacking someone in the head. :rofl1: :crackup

I once dropped a loaf of bread from the grocery sack. The edge of the plastic bread sack just brushed the head pipe (CB-350) and it opened like a zipper. Bread slices flew in all directions!!!! :22yikes: Glad no one was in the direct path. Imagine the carnage!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Correct quote, Ash. Smash was thinking about you groceries leaving the bike and smacking someone in the head. :rofl1: :crackup

I once dropped a loaf of bread from the grocery sack. The edge of the plastic bread sack just brushed the head pipe (CB-350) and it opened like a zipper. Bread slices flew in all directions!!!! :22yikes: Glad no one was in the direct path. Imagine the carnage!
Yeah, could have been expensive... well, all that dough and all..

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Well...since the trailer is registered in MA, I checked the MA law and YES, safety chains are required. Along with fender, lights, etc. I figured why have any issues, the chains are on. I guess my question is how long(safety chains) should they be?? I made them long enough so if I was turned along the way, they would not bind. Didn't even think about the frame hitting ground if it comes disconnected.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
With a 1 wheel I am not really worried about it hitting the ground. If the hitch were to fail it is going to hit the ground, at least on its side.

Bike
2006 ST1300
With a 1 wheel I am not really worried about it hitting the ground. If the hitch were to fail it is going to hit the ground, at least on its side.
Ya know, thats an aspect I hadn't even thought of! I'm not used to this whole 1-wheel trailer thing yet...lol. I like them, just wasn't thinking about that aspect. In that case...use the cables as they are, and just make sure there is NOTHING that could come apart on that hitch (and it sure looks like its a strong setup!)

Jim

STOC #
Yep. Optical illusion. I guess I need to build me one now... First gotta buy a welder... Nice job...
P.S. where did you get the U joint?
If you have not welded, THIS IS NOT where you want to start.

It may not be the law in NH, but what about other states. My feeling is have them no issues with the law, don't have them and at some point you will find the law you just broke..
If you ride through NY, ya better have a chain on it. You mus obey the law of the state you are operating in. Think Helmet Laws, Registration Laws, Doubles, Triples.

Ya know, thats an aspect I hadn't even thought of! I'm not used to this whole 1-wheel trailer thing yet...lol. I like them, just wasn't thinking about that aspect. In that case...use the cables as they are, and just make sure there is NOTHING that could come apart on that hitch (and it sure looks like its a strong setup!)

Jim
OK, first off: GREAT JOB Dave!

Most hitches are made out of square tube stock, nt sure why motorcycles don't, but I like it better. Much harder to torqe a square tube.

As Dave said, its his 9and my) choice to tow a trailer so it must stay attached to our vehicle.

and finally, as one who has wrecked with a single wheel trailer attached, I can tell you that you have to go through a lot to get it to disconnect. Mine stayed hooked up even after getting hit by the car. I think Mac could speak for two wheeled trailers.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
If you have not welded, THIS IS NOT where you want to start.
I'm good... Been welding since I was 12... However, don't live near my Dad, so can't borrow his anymore... One of the reasons I don't already have one is that I'm very particular about which one I want (read: very expensive)... and willing to do without until I can afford the one I want... :)

Top Bottom