First Impressions of the New Avon Storm ST's

Byron

STOC #
When Avon announced the new Storm ST's I purchased a set to replace my second set of Avon Azaro's when they were done.

O.K., before some of you start saying that they are not yet certified on the ST1300 think about this: What is the weight difference between the ST1100 and ST1300? Also, Avon does list the Storm's for the ST1100's. Besides, they carry the same spec's for size, speed and weight limits as the OEM's.

Saturday I pulled the bike out to go for a ride and noticed that I had cord showing on the front tire. Out came the jack and the new tires and before the day was over my bike was wearing a new set of Storm ST's and a new set of EBC brakes. It was late but I took it out to fill the tank and put a couple of miles on the tires. I rode up 39 to the East Fork and turned around for home. I took it pretty easy averaging about 40 MPH up and down the canyon. New tires have such a nice feeling to them. :)

Today after breakfast I took the bike out for a little further ride and to scuff the tires in. As with the previous Avon's I run them at Avon's recommended 36 psi front and 42 psi rear. Travelling the freeway the tires were smooth, really smooth. I was paying attention to changes in the roadway to take mental notes. They showed no interest in following the rain grooves and they soaked up other surface irregularities giving me the impression that they weren't even there. Did I mention how smooth they felt. :)

What would a ride be without a few twisties? Marv (Gonzo) took us down Grimes Canyon from Filmore and across Santa Susana Pass Rd.. We then hit Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. to Angeles Forest to the 2. Since I now had over 100 miles on the tires and decided to push them a little more. I rolled it on through a few S's, some left's and right's. It was like I was on a rail. :D Did I mention how smooth they felt? :)

I realize that 187 miles on a set of tires doesn't amount to much of a test but it sure gives me an idea of what I can expect from them in the future. I have no doubt that Avon will add these to their fitment charts once they have time to test them.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Excellent point Byron:bow1: I can't believe I didn't see the obvious. I really liked the Azaro's, went through two sets, last set I was able to take advantage of the limited road hazard guarantee. I was holding off until they were rated for the 13, so I mounted a BT20 on the back and the new BT21 up front(feels good but noisy) do you know if the Storm's have the road hazard coverage?

Mike:03biker:

The (NEW) Avon STORM's rated for the ST1300 are now out and in stock with Cambrian Tyres (01970 617134). Ask for Mathew and tell them Jim Griffiths told you.
They look real nice and they will be the next tyre I fit to mine.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for giving your first impressions. Can you go out today and ride it until it's showing cords and let me know how many miles you got out of them? ;)

I've got two sets of Pilot Roads ready to put on the bike so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to run the Storms but I'm very anxious to try them.

Keep us posted on anything that develops.

Curt

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Mike,

Regarding the road hazard coverage, my assumption is yes because they are replacing the Azaro's but I could not find anything in writing on their site. I did learn that Cooper Tires now owns Avon though.

Greg,

The pictures were taken after getting home from Sunday's ride. I don't normally like to scrape things in the turns and have been working on keeping the bike more upright by leaning the body more. Like I mentioned they are new with only 187 miles on them. Next time out I'll try a little harder. :)

Tom,

No I did not get them from SWM I got them from Moto X Outlet in Orem, UT. $238.98 for the pair was the total which included $25 for shipping which beat SWM's price and I had them in about 3 days.

Curt,

I wish I could but even with the Azaro ST's I was getting about 8,000 miles a set (for 2 sets) and I don't think I can do that in one day. However, it might be fun to try! :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Day-Yum, I got a set of Azaros I purchased last fall yet to be fitted. Prolly should'a waited til I actually _needed_ tires.

That pair will go on STick when she's ready. Still gotta strip off more plastic, do the paint job, replace the swing arm, and a few other misc. items (new battery?) before she's ready for WESTOC.

George
in Kingma, Arizona

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
George,

Sounds like you still have some work to do. The good thing is that the Azaro's are good tires so you should not have a problem with them.

I rode the bike to work yesterday and after work took it for a run up Azusa Canyon. While lane splitting on the freeway and doing what I call Line Surfing I noticed that these tires don't seem as squirrelly riding the heavy painted lines. I was able to confirm that they aren't affected by the rain grooves. During my ride up and down the canyon I was amazed. For those that may not know I will make this same ride no less than a couple of times a week so I am familiar with the road. I also am not into dragging parts when going through the turns but do enjoy a spirited ride. Now back to the tires. I felt a level of confidence that I have not felt on the prior tires. Don't get me wrong, I thought the Avon Azaro-ST's were a vast improvement in feel and confidence over the Dunlop D220's. It seems that I am getting that same level of improvement moving from the Azaro's to the Storm's.

I haven't run the tires yet for high speed stability but don't think that this is going to be an issue. Providing they deliver the 8,000 miles or so that I have been getting out of my tires it looks like I will stick, punn intended, with them. :D

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
For those of you that like the twisties, follow Byron some time. I was behind him on Big Tujunga and Angeles Crest, and I was just about up to my limit on my comfort zone. I even got out of shape a couple of times when I didn't pick quite the right line. The ST saved my butt, though. It's very forgiving.
gonzo

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I didn't expect to move so quickly but I am taking a 1500+/- mile tour next week and don't know if I have 1500 miles left in the rear Metzeler Z6. I called my local tire dealer where I got these and asked for a new Z6 rear. I like the tires and paid $295 out the door mounted for the last two sets. I didn't expect to change brands but the price to get one rear Z6 was full retail plus mounting for about $240 total. He would only charge me $50 more for a set of Z6's compared to one rear tire but he has to order the Z6's and they come in three days or so. That made me nervous. One time before they received the wrong size front tire for me and if that happened again I might not have time to correct the mistake. He could get a set of Avon Storms overnight and mounted out the door for $265 so I went with the Avons. I hope they handle close to the Z6's and wear at least as long (6-7,000 miles). I looked in other sport touring forums but there is a dearth of info on the new Storms. I guess I will find out.

Dave, while not strictly relevant I have used the Z6s and the AV45/46 on the ST11. From my experience the front tyres last about the same (10,000kms for me), the rears have the Z6s worn by 10,000kms, the Avons can go more than 12,000kms (I changed it only because I was going on a 5,000km trip). So I suspect you won't have any nasty surprises with tyre life! Overall I preferred the Avons to the Z6s (better in the wet, hardly any warm up time), but both great tyres. The Z6 was very hard to pick wear on at the end because of the lack of tread. It seemd to wear a lot quicker towards the end. If the Storms are a better version of the Avons, I think I will be getting them next.

Last edited:

VT ST Jimbo

Jim Sallie
Bike
'01 Honda Goldwing
STOC #
Mine is a non ABS

I got those sizes off of the Avon site.

I see from my info mine will need
Avon Storm AV56 160/70VR17
Avon StormAV55 110/80R-18

Last edited:

Doc

Bike
ST1100
Yep - I think this is right, but what year is your 1100?

BTW I purchased and have installed new STorms for my 97 ST 1100 ABS based largely on this review. They look great!! Two feet of snow here so not riding just yet - but off the Central America in two weeks so I'll let you know how they turn out.

VT ST Jimbo

Jim Sallie
Bike
'01 Honda Goldwing
STOC #
Mine is an '02

And I just ordered a set from SWMOTO.

Wow - Central America! I'm jealous. I was just thinking of a ride report I read from someone who traveled down there. Will you be posting a ride report or pictures? Now I can't get back to your profile to see were you are located but if you have 2 feet of snow you must have quite a trip ahead of you. I look forward to hearing about it.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I went out for a little ride this morning and now have 200 dry pavement miles on the Avon STorms and here is my first impression of them. I chose tire pressures of 36/40 and I rode a mix of urban and rural roads with 20 miles of interstate on the way home. One section of rural road can see 137 mph if one is so inclined....It is straight through an area that has been clear cut by loggers so there is no foliage or trees for hundreds of yards to a mile or so on either side of the roadway.

They turn in very nice and are linear in feel as opposed to the way Bridgestone 020's tend to fall into slow/medium turns and sometimes require constant pressure on the low bar to hold a constant radius turn. The STorms did not seem to need constant bar pressure to hold my chosen line. They do seem to be quicker and more lively at turn compared to Pilot Roads which can feel kind of numb on turn in. I describe tip-in feel as a happy medium much like the Metzler Z6's which I like very much.

After the first 100 miles I experimented and found I could tighten up or open my line without drama as the tires provide plenty of grip. In low and medium speed turns on smooth pavement they make no noise I could discern. Upon braking on very smooth asphalt the front made a curious 'whirring' noise - not to be confused with brake disc noise. I leaned the tires to the edge of the tread shoulder easily and confidently on smooth pavement and heard no noise when trail-braking a few times.

At high speed, clear air, no traffic, I noted no increase or decrease in straight-line stability from the Z6's or Pilot Roads. I noted no weave or wobble at triple digit speeds (see above). I had on the bags and no tail bag or top case. On the interstate on the way home the omnipresent 'happy feet' light end was the same when traveling 75-85 mph in turbulent dirty air as aerodynamic buffeting feeds a slight weave to the forks. I could not tell if this was any better or worse than before. On the grooved sections or weathered sections of concrete roadway the STorms had no interest in following grooves or broken pavement and did not act particularly 'nervous' on this pavement.

So far I like these tires very much and look forward to some rain miles to see how well they do in the wet.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey Dave. Thanks for the update. I'm really curious to try those tires. I'm guessing that they will be almost equivalent to the Pilot Roads but I would like to see how long they last so let us know how the mileage goes, if there's any cupping/feathering, and how the flatspotting is.

Thanks,
Curt

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm interested to see if anyone with them on the 13 has hit them hard in the twisties. The PR's are not inspiring loads of confidence in the twisties at high speed so I'm thinking of trying the Avon Storm or the B021's next.

Fitted on the 11, the Storms seem to be rock solid stable at high speed cornering.

I'm almost convinced that the 13 needs a steering damper.
I don't know. I made it from Franklin, NC to Deals Gap in 53 minutes on Hwy 28. It's 56 miles. Granted that's about 60MPH average but it's Hwy 28 the whole way which is very twisty. I have scrape marks on my pegs, center stand, and lower cowls from running those roads. Most corners I had to lift my foot off the peg because the peg kept folding up and trapping my foot. I guess it all depends on a lot of things but I've been very happy with how they stick.

Curt

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
53 minutes for 56 miles on that section of 28 is flying. I plan on riding 28 from Franklin to the gas station with a run across and back Deals Gap to end that day. If I don't ride the Gap Friday than early Saturday morning. I am staying in Robbinsville Friday and Saturday and Helen, GA Sunday night. Wayha Road, TN 360, the Cherohala, US 68/60, GA 180 are all on the agenda.

I have ridden all these roads on my 1300 shod with PR's as well as Z6's. I don't think the STorms are any less capable than my abilities but a 1000 miles on those roads and others in the area will be a good test.

Top Bottom