First Impressions of the New Avon Storm ST's

STOC #
Ordered a set of the Avon Storm STs today. I was trying to hold out until a rear tire was certified for the ole' ST but my sneakers are about worn out!:eek: Figured the 72w will just have to do. I usually don't ride two-up anyway.:cool:

Attachments

Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Looking at the Avons as well. One question comes to mind. Should I change them as a set? My front tire still has quite a bit of life in it, but the rear tire needs to be changed. Should I stick with the BT020F for the rear and then wait until the front and rear need changing?

STOC #
Gary,

I was at the same decision point until I noticed the dry-rot in the tread on the front. Not worth risking at 80Mph. Also figured that since SWMoto offers free shipping on a set and not individual tires, might as well order the front and get the $14 discount.:cool: I'll try the two-by-four mounting method this weekend...

Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Shane,
The tires are only 9 months old, well that is when I bought the bike new, so I don't think I have rot to worry about. I have just over 8000 miles on the tires, but I have done so much slab riding that I have a pretty good flat spot that is almost to the wear bars. I still do the twisties, but not enough. I have heard of nothing but good things about Avon tyres in the past, so I thought I would give them a try. I am just worried about mixing and matching tires, but it may be a non issue.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I must be cheap... if the front one is okay I'd run it until it needed to be changed.

I change the front with the back if there is significant cupping or it is worn out.

Mark

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Quote by Raven
This still doesn't make sense as they're rated for the 1100 which is heavier than the 1300 (though not by much).
Dang, I was pretty sure it was because ST1100 riders never, ever over packed:) Mark? George?

I have about 4000mi on my front STorm, now. I am still really liking it. It does, however look now like the ME 880 on the rear is going to outlast it, and it has about 1000mi extra. I plan to put a STorm on the rear when it is time, too. Then I'll know for sure:)

STOC #
Well I got quite the surprise when I got home yesterday. My new shoes for the ST were in the living room with the wife pointing and tapping her foot... I ordered them the afternoon before from SWMoto and didn't even have time to break it to the wife that they were coming.:duck: Now that's service! I'm excited to get them on this weekend and try em out. They look SWEET!

My wife then told me that she almost had the UPS man take em back cuz she wasn't spectin no tires. She left the UPS guy thinking there was going to be some serious marital discussions when I got home....:spank1:

After I explained that my current rear tire was bald and safety should be a concern to her as well even though she never rides, she was much more forgiving...:woo

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Dang, I was pretty sure it was because ST1100 riders never, ever over packed:) Mark? George?

I have about 4000mi on my front STorm, now. I am still really liking it. It does, however look now like the ME 880 on the rear is going to outlast it, and it has about 1000mi extra. I plan to put a STorm on the rear when it is time, too. Then I'll know for sure:)
Over pack? me? I don't even carry a person on the back anymore (Hey! I did not just say that Chris is heavy!!! And if anybody tells I did I'm not going to buy you any beer!). All I had to do was buy an ST1300 to make sure I never had to worry about it... :D

Mark

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Hey Dave (dduelin) I saw on another thread you are going bake to the Z-6 on the next set of tires, What has caused the lack of confidence in the storms and your deciding to go back to metzlers now ???? trying to get as much info as possible as I have set of Storms in the garage ready to go on real soon
Thanks

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
UPDATE:

It's about 2 months and 6,000+ miles later and I have not had any problems with the Storm's short of I'm just about to the wear bars. I've been running what Avon has used in the past for pressures which is 36 PSI front and 42 PSI rear. The front tire is better in the middle but nearly down to the wear bars on the sides. Rear tire is just the opposite, closer to the wear bars in the middle with a bit more life to the sides. They may make it to 7,000 miles but only time will tell. I don't think they will make it to 8,000 miles which is what I was getting with the Azaro's. The difference is that these tires seem to stick better and inspire more confidence. I have not spared the whip in the last 2 months. I've ridden them hard and thrown just about every type of road surface at them including about 60 miles of Death Valley dirt and rock. If you look at the tires they are wearing about as even as any tire can. They look like they will both expire about the same time.

So the question of would they last to 8,000 if I hadn't been so rough on them? My guess based on everything is yes. Will I continue to use the Storm's, YES! In fact I will probably order the replacement set tonight when I get home.

STOC #
Terry, interesting that you note "quiet". I just mounted a rear Storm on my ST1100. It sings quite loud, just like the Dunlop that came with the bike when it was new. I'lll probably go back to the BT020 when the Storm is gone. The BT020 was perfectly quiet.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Well I went out and measured the useable rubber left to the wear bars tonight. It is surprising that they are both about the same at .027" - .030" of rubber left. Here are a couple of pictures.

There really is no cupping and what feathering you see is only at the edge of the grooves. As with a lot of things about the ST, these tires may not make everyone happy but they have sure been making me happy.

UPDATED: Next set ordered.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
How many miles did you get out of the Azaros?
And please let us know how many you get out of the STorms.
The comparison numbers will really help me.

I think I remember you getting a lot less than I get out of the Azaros (might be those beautiful 'hills' you have near you...).

Thanks,
Mark

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
UPDATE:

The front tire is better in the middle ... Rear tire is just the opposite, closer to the wear bars in the middle with a bit more life to the sides....
Could that have to do with the riding style too? Not too hard and not under braking into the corners (not much wear on sides of front), hard acceleration during corners and getting out of corners (lot of wear on sides of rear) ?

It is good to see several comments that they wear fairly evenly. I am going to have mine put on next week. Then after a while I can tell you how they do on an ST1100 that doesn't get enough twisties.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Dennis,

Let me try and explain how I like to ride the hills and maybe that will help explain my tire wear. We all know that most roads will have posted speeds, speed in certain turns and the speed you can safely handle the turns. What I try and do is at minimum ride the posted speed before reaching the turn, backing off the throttle if necessary so I don't need to use the brakes. Once set up on my line I lean it into the turn either holding my initial speed or rolling in more as I begin to complete the turn. Those decreasing radius turns will sneak in every once in a while and cause me to back off the throttle mid-turn.

I'm not trying to make it throught the turn the fastest the bike can make it through, more like what I can do smoothly without wearing or heating up the brakes.

Mark,

I got about 8,000 + or - miles out of the Azaro's. My last set the front wore to the cord on the sides because I kept checking the tire left in the middle.

I'll back off a little with the Storm's for now and see if I can get them to 7,000 or more.

With regard to noise from the tires, I don't hear any and I ride without ear plugs. Road surface may have a lot to do with this. For those hearing noise are the road surfaces smooth or more pebblie?

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Dave and Byron,

Thanks.
I get a bit more out of the Azaros than you did Bryon (as I suspected, you get to spend more time in those hills).

And its good know they handle all sorts of weather well too.... now we'll have to wait until BigTom wears through a pair to know how they do on *hot* roads.

Mark

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Well my next set of Storm's arrived today. If SWM doesn't have you tires you might want to check out Moto X Outlet. I ordered them late on the 23rd, they shipped on the 25th and arrived on the 26th. Cost was $238.98 to my door. This is the second time I have used them and both times I had the same speedy service.

I went out for a little ride this morning and now have 200 dry pavement miles on the Avon STorms and here is my first impression of them. I chose tire pressures of 36/40 and I rode a mix of urban and rural roads with 20 miles of interstate on the way home. One section of rural road can see 137 mph if one is so inclined....It is straight through an area that has been clear cut by loggers so there is no foliage or trees for hundreds of yards to a mile or so on either side of the roadway.

They turn in very nice and are linear in feel as opposed to the way Bridgestone 020's tend to fall into slow/medium turns and sometimes require constant pressure on the low bar to hold a constant radius turn. The STorms did not seem to need constant bar pressure to hold my chosen line. They do seem to be quicker and more lively at turn compared to Pilot Roads which can feel kind of numb on turn in. I describe tip-in feel as a happy medium much like the Metzler Z6's which I like very much.

After the first 100 miles I experimented and found I could tighten up or open my line without drama as the tires provide plenty of grip. In low and medium speed turns on smooth pavement they make no noise I could discern. Upon braking on very smooth asphalt the front made a curious 'whirring' noise - not to be confused with brake disc noise. I leaned the tires to the edge of the tread shoulder easily and confidently on smooth pavement and heard no noise when trail-braking a few times.

At high speed, clear air, no traffic, I noted no increase or decrease in straight-line stability from the Z6's or Pilot Roads. I noted no weave or wobble at triple digit speeds (see above). I had on the bags and no tail bag or top case. On the interstate on the way home the omnipresent 'happy feet' light end was the same when traveling 75-85 mph in turbulent dirty air as aerodynamic buffeting feeds a slight weave to the forks. I could not tell if this was any better or worse than before. On the grooved sections or weathered sections of concrete roadway the STorms had no interest in following grooves or broken pavement and did not act particularly 'nervous' on this pavement.

So far I like these tires very much and look forward to some rain miles to see how well they do in the wet.

So you have another 6 weeks on the tires...what do you think? Any particular problem with tar snakes and grip?

thanks, Jeff

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So you have another 6 weeks on the tires...what do you think? Any particular problem with tar snakes and grip?

thanks, Jeff
Jeff & Gene,

I have 4549 miles on the Avons now and have a measured 1/32" of usable tread left to the wear bars. I might get 6000 miles out of them. It should be noted that this 4500 miles was mostly done in two trips to the mountains with attendant acceleration, cornering, and braking on those roads. As others have noted they are wearing very evenly with little evidence of cupping on either tire - the best wear pattern I have seen in 30,000 miles of tires every 6K. Where and how I ride I average 6K a set and this includes the OEM Bridgestones, a set of Pilot Roads, two sets of Metzeler Z6's and these Avon Storm 55/56's. I had hoped to get a bit more mileage out of the Avons and probably would get 8K or more if I stayed closer to home on straighter roads.

I had one good day in heavy to light rain riding across North Carolina. The grip was confident and sure footed but I did not push the bike that much while traveling. That day I ended up at Deals Gap and rode it over and back in a light rain - that is how confident I was in the tires. My impression of the tires has been favorable overall with handling and grip on all surfaces comparable to Metzeler Z-6's with the exception of a funny rear end wiggle when cornering on road surfaces that have long sections of patch pavement where there is a slight difference in height and the corner line took me across edge of the patch at a very slight angle. The last time it happened on a 55-65 mph country road I thought the rear tire was down on pressure or going flat but that was not the case. For that reason alone I believe I will go back to Z6's. I did not get significantly better mileage with the new Avons and the Z6's did not exhibit the wiggle on patch pavement. Otherwise the Storms get a thumbs up from me and that wiggle is really not a big deal unless you are hard on the edges. They are good tire for the ST and a touring rider will get better mileage than I got.

Top Bottom