First Impressions of the New Avon Storm ST's

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Thanks Dave, I have a set sitting in the garage that go on friday! I just got about 8k out of a set of pilot roads they wore great as 60% of that milage was 2-up loaded heavy. The only complaint with them is the NOISE !! We tour at a leisurely to mildly spirited pace mostly so I may do better on milage than you and Byron. If the storms are as good as the roads in rain I should be very happy with them . Again thanks Dave and Byron for the reveiws.

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
I'm interested to see if anyone with them on the 13 has hit them hard in the twisties. The PR's are not inspiring loads of confidence in the twisties at high speed so I'm thinking of trying the Avon Storm or the B021's next.

Fitted on the 11, the Storms seem to be rock solid stable at high speed cornering.

I'm almost convinced that the 13 needs a steering damper.
After about 4k miles always properly inflated, my pilot roads were cupped enough that I tossed them. :( I think this is probably due to suspension / weight issues (I weigh 320# +).

I put on new Avon Storms before heading to the dragon. Over the last week I did 1k or so on the dragon, the cherohala, thunder road, etc. I didn't exactly hit it hard, but the right chicken strip is gone and the left is down to about 1/8". I really hope I get the mileage from the storms that DennisH's busa gets from the Azaros (that'd be about 8k) because then my search for a tire will be over. Anyhow, so far I love the storms - they are smooth and ride like they're on rails!

Now I'm searching for suspension. I think I'm going to put on an Elka triple-adjustable shock with a stiffer spring and a Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridge assembly up front... If I can just find the $2k to do it. :)

I am very new to this site but have this tyre set up on my Blackbird they seem so much better that 020's and these were my favored tyres on St1100 BMW R1150 GS and the Blackbird.

I note with interest that some posts mention 36psi 42 psi on the ST 1300 Honda say 42 psi both and I cant remember pressures for the ST1100. So what pressures do you all run?

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Well today I replaced my first set of the Storm's. Because I didn't note the exact mileage when I put them on my best estimate is about 7,000 miles on the set.

When I got home from CreSTOC this afternoon I found this nail in the rear tire. It was so small I can't really say how long it had been there and the tire wasn't leaking any air, until I pulled it. They were worn into the wear bars so it was time for a change anyway.

As others have noted these tires wore very evenly and without cupping. Since I really pounded the first set because they felt so good I hope I got it out of my system so maybe I will reach 8,000 with the second set.

With regard to pressure, I've run 36 PSI front and 42 PSI rear like Avon has recommended in the past with their Azaro's.

Attachments

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Byron,

You missed a little bit of rubber on the edges... in the interest of being 'Green' I think you should concentrate a little more on riding twisties. :D

Thanks for the report.

Mark

rpeyronel

BDFF
Bike
07 ST1300
I've used the BT020 (OEM) 9K miles, Pilot Road 2CT 17k miles (pushed theses about 2K too far) and just removed a pair of Avon Storm STs after 6K miles. The front tire was fine but the rear was down to cord after returning from Deals Gap a couple of weeks ago. I had a pair of BT021s put on last week and so far all good. I like the feel of them so far and the ride is quiet and comfortable. We will see about the mileage claims from the tire mfg.

The Michelin was hands down the best feeling and longest wearing tire I've had on my bike. I couldn't get the Pilot Road 2CT in in time to ride last weekend so I used the Battleaxe BT-021s - $100 cheaper too!

Top Bottom