First Long Distance Ride

Hi everyone,

Heading out for my first long distance ride (SW Florida to WNY) this august, so I thought I would reach out for any advice from all of you who have long distance ride experience. In addition any info on routes, things to avoid, places to stay etc., for an east coast journey, would be appreciated. Anyone that is heading that way in the same time frame and wants to run together, feel free to reach out. I have a flexible schedule.

As always, thanks to everyone for the great feedback !!

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Off the top of my head:
  • CamelBak! Easy/great way to keep hydrated!
  • Some form of cruise control/throttle lock. Nice to be able to let go the throttle and stretch your wrist/shoulder.
    • McCruise is a good choice for cruise control.​
    • I'd recommend Atlas throttle lock if you don't want to spend $$$ on a CC. It's well built/engineered.​
  • Rain gear. Spending any time wet is miserable.
  • Bluetooth headset speaker. The miles melt away when you've got tunes to listen to.
  • Possibly controversial but ear plugs. Reducing the noise helps reduce fatigue. My earplugs plug into my comms.
*Edit: McCruise link direct to ST-1300 page.

Last edited:

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
The best advice for any trip is always: "Take half the clothes and twice the money". Seriously though, if there is anything that is a minor annoyance when you're riding shorter distances it is sure to be a considerable issue when riding long distances. Find those small things and take care of them before the trip. It could be as simple as adding an adjustable clutch lever to your ST. Or swapping out the stock foot pegs for a set of Gold Wing pegs (GW pegs are flatter and wider and are an easy swap that doesn't require modifications). The goal is to make yourself as comfortable as possible so the miles and hours in the saddle are enjoyable. I recommend a pair (or two) of LD Comfort underwear for those longer trips. They're expensive but are essential for keeping comfortable in those all-important areas below the belt. Another often-overlooked piece of essential long-distance riding gear is earplugs. Yes, we know that ST's are whisper quiet, but hours of wind rushing past your helmet at highway speeds is tiring. The goal is to maximize your comfort so that you can do the long miles and arrive having enjoyed the experience rather than feeling as if you've endured some extreme physical challenge.

What to avoid? Since you asked, I always avoid truck stops and state-run rest areas on the highways. I find the Sheetz, Wawa, or similar modern fuel/bathroom stops that don't cater specifically to truckers to be much cleaner and the parking is easier to enter and exit. Highway Rest Area cleanliness has been in a steady decline in recent years and offer no food or beverages other than vending machines.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Please post a ride report when you've finished.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
If WNY is West New York, stay on the West side of the Appalachian mountains and in them unless your on the Blue Ridge Parkway. +1 on the LD comfort undergarments. Be flexible with your sleep stops in case you find you’re riding faster or slower than you thought. Go at an easy pace and you will be less tired, drinking fluids and ear protection will also lessen the fatigue factor. Just take one day at a time, slowly when needed, faster when in the mood. Enjoy the ride!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I recommend spandex of some sort for a first layer. I would like a pair of the LD shorts but haven’t ponied up the dough. I wear a lite weight merino thermal on my legs and a med/heavy weight up top over a wicking layer. If I get to warm I soak the top and it works fabulously well for cooling. If it’s not enough a bag of ice is added and I have protection from freezer burn. Don’t ask me how I learned!
Ear plugs are a must. I have found that the foam ones are the most comfortable. I have a set of Decibles custom fit but on long rides they are just not enough.
Layers. If you can keep your core comfortable you will have more stamina for the ride. It’s amazing how quickly 55F chills you at 65mph.
As said a Bluetooth speaker in the helm is AMAZING! Toons, stories or podcasts to help pass the time.
If you have a destination in mind plan the gas stops ahead of time. Or just to verify the next one isn’t 300mi away :rolleyes:

Bike
2000 ST1100
Just not to get a hurry and enjoy the ride. I like to have a motel room reserved for the evening. That way I'm not traveling extra miles looking for a room.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If WNY is West New York, stay on the West side of the Appalachian mountains and in them unless your on the Blue Ridge Parkway. +1 on the LD comfort undergarments.
+100 on west of the Appalachians. I forget (and too lazy to go get my atlas) but I believe it's I-85, worlds of difference from I-95 up the east coast.
If you don't get the LD Comfort undies, consider Duluth Trading Company's Armachillo undies; they're often on sale for about $15/pair and they DO make a difference.
Earplugs are already covered. Don't leave home without 'em.
A Camelbak or similar hydration bladder will prolong your comfort; in the heat it is a mistake to wait until you're thirsty.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
If WNY is West New York, stay on the West side of the Appalachian mountains and in them unless your on the Blue Ridge Parkway. +1 on the LD comfort undergarments. Be flexible with your sleep stops in case you find you’re riding faster or slower than you thought. Go at an easy pace and you will be less tired, drinking fluids and ear protection will also lessen the fatigue factor. Just take one day at a time, slowly when needed, faster when in the mood. Enjoy the ride!
Everything in this quote is spot on.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Ride the Two laners.Turn off you nav.device.Ride .Turn on sat. Nav at end of day at least once on your trip.Eat at mom and pops they are still out there. Thank a vetern.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi everyone,

Heading out for my first long distance ride (SW Florida to WNY) this august, so I thought I would reach out for any advice from all of you who have long distance ride experience. In addition any info on routes, things to avoid, places to stay etc., for an east coast journey, would be appreciated. Anyone that is heading that way in the same time frame and wants to run together, feel free to reach out. I have a flexible schedule.

As always, thanks to everyone for the great feedback !!
A long ride is just a few short rides strung together.... are you camping or only hotels?

Do a trial ride, map out a 500 mile day.. Plan for any heat or other weather. Have the route organized as a 250 out and 250 back home.. After you go 100 miles, take an evaluation on how you feel, physically (butt, knees, shoulders, neck) and mentally.. no matter how you feel, you're always just half way home.. Stop as many times as you feel you need to.

That will give you a quick idea of how long your days will be comfortably and will increase on a real tour as you become more comfortable with longer distances. You may find you need a better seat or risers or hwy pegs.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Just not to get a hurry and enjoy the ride.
Ride the Two laners
:plus1: to each of the above.

U.S. and State highways are slower but way more relaxing and enjoyable than the interstate; make the time to be able to take your time. Don't be in a hurry to get somewhere if it can be avoided. Stop and read roadside historical markers. Pause to look into interesting shops you may come across. Find and enjoy meals at independent local eateries instead of fast / convenience foods and national chains.

Even with my Russell Day Long seat installed, my knees appreciated a thorough shaking-out every couple hours. My routine went something like fill tank > ride > take a break after a couple hours > ride > take another break > ride > gas and fluid (drinks) replenishment stop > repeat...

I'm an early riser so I liked to get up and going as close to sunup as I could, then stop well before dusk. Keep an eye peeled for deer forest rats, especially early and late in the day. If you're riding in a wooded area, stop at least two hours before dusk.

Enjoy your ride! (That's both advice and a well-wish...)

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Check the SMC. Don't wait until last minute to service the bike. New tires are nice for longer rides (can always mount the old back later if mileage left).

Hydration easier with modular helmet.

Adjust suspension for travel load (again, not at the last minute, may find out clicker out of oil!). LD on saggy suspension is no joy.

Check the weather ahead often, including burns.

Read the thread on heat exhaustion!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I don't think you mentioned whether you are camping or "hotelling-it" - but if the former, I would stop in a hotel every couple of days to do laundry, get a good rest and a good shower etc.

Have a great trip and enjoy the ride - and as one poster said...go west young man and avoid the crazy traffic.

Pete

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I see the Blue Ridge Parkway recommended, but north of that is Shenandoah National Park. I rode both during a ride to the Honda Hoot in Asheville in 1994. They were wonderful. Buy a US National Parks annual pass and string together as many of those as you can! In two years spring for the lifetime senior pass (just going by your personal details :) )

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I thought that was a funny Ham callsign for someone from FL. V4 rider OK,

Take this and have fun, You'll figure out what suits you.

113949.jpg
AMB is great, butt a cheaper and more readily available alternative is Gold Bond powder. I swear by that for all day comfort.

I find the travel size at my local grocery/drug store and carry those when traveling then refill from the big container which is MUCH cheaper per unit weight. Carry them in their own ziplock bag so you don't contaminate everything in your toiletry kit with powder. I'll get about five or six applications from the travel size. I took two with me on a recent two week trip to Singapore and that was perfect. If there's a place that will make you sweat all over, it's Singapore!

Application tip: Do it in the bathtub/shower and then RINSE it all down the drain afterward. There's no guarantee that the housekeeping staff will do that and it makes very slippery footing the next time you use it if you don't.

1690394027418.png 1690394075482.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom