First Long Distance Ride

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
The blue ridge parkway has a lot going this year with repairs. There is a bridge closure at mile 248-249 but there is a detour and they are good at signage on the detours. Also there is pavement work in pretty much all of NC. You can find this info on the web.

Bike
2000 ST1100
If I may add I don't like to ride more than 500 miles a day anymore before I call it a day. I am trying to remember where I saw it but an article stated after 500 miles it is unsafe to continue the ride as most riders are physically and mentally not as sharp as when the journey began.

Bike
2014 CB1100DX
Have fun and ride safe! Been to every state on moto, but I don't ride the east coast that much (mostly Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania). The most of my comments about this and other's suggestions are on the CB1100 forum. The I-95 sure seems convenient but was not fun as everyone told me. Took less congested roads/highways which allowed for more relaxed riding. I do cross country every year between June & October and I always seem to need my Frogg Toggs (cycle gear), a compact umbrella (amazon), and a Nelson Rigg half cover (amazon). Also always stash some cash and an extra key somewhere on my bike that a simple screwdriver (or less) can access. FYI, I pretty much carry the kitchen sink when I travel to deal with most any USA climate or emergency ... you don't need to do that in your situation I think. ALSO, years ago Mr Ferret suggested keeping a ziploc bag with a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe bugs from helmet shield & moto windshield .... this has proved invaluable to me on all of my moto journeys. :)

When I travel long distances I usually go to a Goodwill store and buy a $5 tee shirt for every day I travel, then throw it away after I wear it. That way I have less and less to pack every day. I buy a new pack of socks and do the same thing. I also use a cramp buster for long interstate rides.

Bike
2010 ST1300
When I travel long distances I usually go to a Goodwill store and buy a $5 tee shirt for every day I travel, then throw it away after I wear it. That way I have less and less to pack every day. I buy a new pack of socks and do the same thing.
Jack Reacher style of traveling. I don't remember, did he buy new underwear too? :biggrin:

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
One simple thing I have found that works: I make a quick stop about once an hour. Just get off the bike, have a sip, walk around for a few minutes, and back on the road. To me that makes a huge difference on how my body feels...

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
One simple thing I have found that works: I make a quick stop about once an hour. Just get off the bike, have a sip, walk around for a few minutes, and back on the road. To me that makes a huge difference on how my body feels...
Absolutely. :thumb:

OP
OP
V4RDR
Everyone;

Thanks so much for all of the great feedback. Sorry for the delayed response, but it's been a crazy week getting back to my bike.

A few answers for the questions that were asked:

- Not sure if I'm camping or hoteling. Planning to take that day by day and I'm sure there will be a mix of everything. I have even been kicking around some hostels / couch surfing / room-shares etc. trying to make the most of the trip.

- I always keep my bike in top shape, as my life depends on it, even going to Walmart. But with that said, she has new sneakers, brakes, fluids etc. and I will be going through everything before I depart. Also a long time member of AAA just in case of breakdown.

- Working on ordering all of the suggested items - shorts, pads, cruise control, gloves, etc. Would love to get a new seat / pegs / mods, but time may not facilitate that.

- Got my helmet comms and audio books all ready to go.

- As for route, I'm still looking at all of the alternatives. Some friends along the way that I am trying to incorporate are making this route very interesting. I have traditionally made this type of trip doing the highways (car / van) but I would much rather be on the two lane mountain roads for the views. Thanks to all of the engineers and technologists for GPS and satellite navigation lol. I'm sure I'll need it.

- As for going west - well that is planned for this winter (I will be trailering to get over there probably). And those plans may be contingent on how this adventure goes lol. Not going to miss the opportunity to see the country on two wheels one way or another, now being retired. That was the whole reason for going from the VFR to the ST. Still can't resist a good ride on the VFR now and again though.

I'll remember to take some pics along the way.

Thanks again !

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
This thread just got started and might be of interest to you:

If you're not in a rush, those apps can create a motorcycle-fun route from point to point (or even round-trip).

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Maybe it's just me, but I could never follow an audiobook while riding. I could either concentrate on the book or the riding , but not both. I usually have music playing in the background.

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Off the top of my head:
  • CamelBak! Easy/great way to keep hydrated!
  • Some form of cruise control/throttle lock. Nice to be able to let go the throttle and stretch your wrist/shoulder.
    • McCruise is a good choice for cruise control.​
    • I'd recommend Atlas throttle lock if you don't want to spend $$$ on a CC. It's well built/engineered.​
  • Rain gear. Spending any time wet is miserable.
  • Bluetooth headset speaker. The miles melt away when you've got tunes to listen to.
  • Possibly controversial but ear plugs. Reducing the noise helps reduce fatigue. My earplugs plug into my comms.
*Edit: McCruise link direct to ST-1300 page.
I ALWAYS have my rain gear in my right saddlebag, and stored in the order I need to put it on (e.g. pants on top, then booties, then jacket). The right bag is for everything I may need during my riding day; rain gear, clear visor (normally do tinted during the day...), extra battery for the cell phone, tire plug kit, polish and rag for windscreen, etc. Left bag is miscellaneous stuff. I do a Cortech motorcycle duffle strapped to the rear seat as my main luggage. It has a rain cover and plenty of room for up to 5 days of clothes. As others have said... minimal clothes, max money. :) Enjoy the ride!

Top Bottom