First tip over on the ST just happened. Girlfriend almost peed herself

Kodiak

Trucker by day, rider by night. Noob at all times.
Bike
1991 ST-1100
STOC #
So, I made a boo-boo about twenty minutes ago. We just finished dinner and were in the parking lot of the restaurant, I geared up and got on the bike while we were talking still and started it to let it warm up. I was distracted by our conversation and she pointed out my left front running light was out, so I shut the engine off and got off to investigate. I forgot one important thing, though.....Sidestand. It fell over (luckily not onto my foot) and the only damage is a nice big scrape on the mirror cover, tip over protector and my pride. Everything else is fine, though. And as title states, she nearly peed herself laughing.....It's all good, just another notch on the tip over counter!

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Bike
1991 ST-1100
STOC #
Oh, I know it happens, I'm not worried about it. I'm just glad it was stationary.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm glad it was while she was standing, watching you. From your title, I thought she was aboard and got the fright of her life. Consider BygDawg tip over bars.

The ST is the most tip over prone bike ive ever owned. Ive got a few stories from this bike. Ride safe safe travels

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The ST is the most tip over prone bike ive ever owned. Ive got a few stories from this bike. Ride safe safe travels
Perhaps it needs outriggers that pop out when at a stop to prevent tip overs. Something similar to a few bikes I've seen for folks that either have no legs (and aren't using prosthetics) or are in a wheelchair without leg use.

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Bike
1991 ST-1100
STOC #
Man, y'all are a riot, I swear :rofl1: Don't worry, nothing went over my head, I was squarely hit in the forehead. The tip over was more hilarious to us both than concerning. And don't fret, we decided to enjoy the beautiful night with a long ride.....Take that as you will :biggrin:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
LOL, glad you enjoyed our ribbing!

I went many years and miles before dropping one of my ST1300s. The drop wasn't as good as yours, no one standing next to me when I did it. But I was gassing up, with the bike on the center stand. Once done, I ALWAYS (but this time) put the side stand down, so when I push it off the center stand (I'm standing to the left of the bike when I do this), it rests on the side stand, except that time, it went straight over! No one came to rescue me, so I had to right it myself. That bugger was heavy (and I'm an old guy to boot)! :weight1:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I wonder if you'd have been less likely to have trouble keeping it up if you'd have done the darkside mod...

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Bike
1991 ST-1100
STOC #
I wonder if you'd have been less likely to have trouble keeping it up if you'd have done the darkside mod...
I'm actually planning to do that, just need to get a second wheel and brake caliper bracket plus the other small parts machined to make it work. It's on the list, though! I want to get it done before this summer since I've got a couple long rides planned, talking NorCal to Yellowstone and possibly even all the way to Sturgis is vacation permits. I know the bike will definitely be loaded down with a lot of gear and I'm hoping to get a small trailer to pull behind it, so MC rear tires will be quite overloaded, I know.

troystr68

Troyster
i dropped mine at a gas station ZERO MPH was doing to many things at once AND had mud on my shoes
once it broke the plane it tossed me on my head :(
hurt me but the bike needs a new Blade and My pride suffered a HUGE loss
i picked it up myself!!!!!! Not suggested

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
You either have dropped or will at some time. Glad you are not hurt and something to look back on and laugh (I hope)!

Top Bottom