Flashing ABS light but no code readout

Bike
‘06 ST1300
Ok, broke the ’06 ST1300 out for a ride on a spring feeling day after setting for a month. Felt like it was following the ruts on my gravel road too much so returned for a tire pressure check. Up to this point all was well with the abs light. Rear was a few pounds low so aired up and started again. Instead of light going out after self check it went to constant flash mode. Pulled ABS motor fuses, key on, 5 sec., put one fuse back in, solid red light, no code flashes. Tried a few more times, different fuse sequences, cleaned wheel sensors of dust, disconnected battery, same result.
Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

OP
OP
Bike
‘06 ST1300
Thanks for the reply’s. I wish it were that simple. Guess I should have mentioned that I’ve been riding this thing since new in ‘06. Yes I “took it around the block”. Several times. I was asking if anyone has experience with it behaving this way beyond the code retrieval steps in the service manual? While going around the block, I tested the ABS while on the gravel. It is definitely switched off so system thinks there is a malfunction somewhere. It just doesn’t seem to want to tell me where.

Bike
ST1100
if ABS lights stay on after starting a ride and not blinking, that means ABS ECU doesn't know that you are riding.. both speed sensors are out simultaneously ?

OP
OP
Bike
‘06 ST1300
Ok, broke the ’06 ST1300 out for a ride on a spring feeling day after setting for a month. Felt like it was following the ruts on my gravel road too much so returned for a tire pressure check. Up to this point all was well with the abs light. Rear was a few pounds low so aired up and started again. Instead of light going out after self check it went to constant flash mode. Pulled ABS motor fuses, key on, 5 sec., put one fuse back in, solid red light, no code flashes. Tried a few more times, different fuse sequences, cleaned wheel sensors of dust, disconnected battery, same result.
Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
if ABS lights stay on after starting a ride and not blinking, that means ABS ECU doesn't know that you are riding.. both speed sensors are out simultaneously ?
problem is that it stays on solid when doing the code retrieval process per the service manual instead of blinking out a code. When riding it goes into constant blink mode.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I bought the 2010, it came in a very "wrecked" state.

2010ST1300-ConsignmentShop.jpg

The ABS light stayed on. Due to a brake recall, I took the bike in to the stealership and they replaced the front sensor, but it still didn't solve the problem.

The shop wanted me to buy a new ABS ECU at a cost of $1,100. (this was back in 2013). I chose not to do that, because the bike was in an accident and I could see where Honda would come back and say I was SOL, due to the wreck.

A few months later, a guy, on eBay, had a 2009 ST1300P with only 409 miles on it. I bought the speedometer, the ABS ECU and all the locks/keys from him. I don't remember what I paid, but when I attached the new ABS ECU, my ABS light went out as soon as the bike started rolling. I now have over 100K miles on that bike (and just prepared it for one of my sons to take over), but I wouldn't hesitate to ride that bike across the US.

If you do decide to replace the ABS ECU, make sure it is one for 2003 thru 2007. They changed the front sensors on 2008 and after, so a later ABS ECU would probably not work correctly.

Good luck.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Check the castellations on the pulsar rings (bumps and slots).
Check the sensor disc / ring for cracks
Check the air gap between sensor and pulsar ring
Check the surface of each sensor - it is magnetic so any stray wire brush bristle could be attached.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
‘06 ST1300
Check the castellations on the pulsar rings (bumps and slots).
Check the disc for cracks
Check the air gap between sensor and pulsar ring
Check the surface of each sensor - its magnetic so any stray wire brush bristle could be attached.
Thanks!! Will double check and or check all the above. Is there a spec for the air gap between sensor and pulsar ring? Will check the manual for that.

Top Bottom