Florida to Alaska routes, advice?

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Hi guys,
it's been a little while since I have been active on here. I have seen posts, just not really participated.
This June, me and the Mrs. are planning a 3 week ride from Florida to Alaska.
Bike is being prepped for the ride. Gear has been purchased, and I am now it planning mode.
Departure date is still TBD, but we are shooting for late June.
I will be starting the ride in Fort Lauderdale and ride to Bismarck North Dakota where the Mrs will be arriving via plane and joining me. (only 2 weeks vacation from work, ugh)
I know some riders have done the ride to Alaska and even up the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay (which we may do depending on weather/road conditions) but we are going at least up to the Arctic Circle. (gotta get that sign picture). We are also planning on stopping at the sign post forest (I think that's the name), Santa Claus house in the North pole and see some glaciers (maybe salmon Glacier in BC, Canada).
On the way back depending on time, we may drop in through Washington and ride down the coast to ride the PCH (bucket list ride for us) see Yosemite and go across nevada, Utah, Colorado and east towards Florida.
I am starting to plan the route and was curious if anyone has a route they recommend, or have done. Must see places along the way in Canada & Alaska. Any tips or recommendations (do's & don'ts) bike prep tips, etc.
This will be our longest ride to date.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mike - 3 weeks to include Alaska to the Artic Circle and the PCH could be a challenge unless you plan on some long days (like 800 miles) in the saddle.
For instance, from Nashville, TN (north of you) to the beginning of the ALCAN is 2,400 miles - that's 3 800 mile days, or 4 600 mile days.
From SLO (decent 'end' of highway 1), to Nashville, TN is 2,400 miles - that's 3 800 mile days, or 4 600 mile days. So that's pretty much a week not including getting from the beginning of the ALCAN to the end of it and on the Artic Circle and back down to the top of the PCH. PCH/Highway 1 top to bottom is 2-3 days if you want to enjoy any of it at all. I've not done the Artic Circle thing as I'm too lazy to want to spend all that time cleaning up my ST1100s afterward. ;) Not saying you can't do it, but take a look at my three trips below which will give you an idea of the distance you will be covering.

To me, the prettiest road up there is from Haines Junction to Haines, which I have videos -

http://www.unclephil.us/VideosHome.htm

One of my trips down highway 1 -

BTW, the Salmon Glacier is well worth the ride up, but it is a construction road and I would plan 1 day just for that as it will take a while to get to the top.
Also, get some idea of the total mileage and what tires you will be using. If you have to do a tire change along the way, you want to prearrange it as most shops don't stock ST tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
3 weeks to include Alaska to the Artic Circle and the PCH will be a challenge
Hi UP,
Thanks for the reply.
I guess I was too ambitious in thinking I could do both in one trip. Thanks for bringing back to reality ;)
I think I will have to leave the PCH for another trip and really take in all of the west coast. There is a lot we want to see there.

We are comfortable doing 600-650 mile days consistently, (rode from S. Florida to Buford, WY & back in a week in May, avg 650 a day) but if we do some sightseeing I might cut it to 500-550 on those days. If I was solo I would do the 800 mile days, but with the Mrs on the back 600 is plenty.
Your trip report was a great read (so far just Alaska 2004). You tell a good story. I really enjoyed it.
Any other tips? Happy to hear it from a more experienced LD rider.

Bike
R1200rt
2 up going to Prudhoe might net be a good idea. That road is nasty, lots of videos on youtube ... and better have a place ready for tires. 3 weeks Jasper, Baniff , Glacier, Yellowstone Oregon and Idaho might not be enough. I did a trip to Montana from Illinois had 3 days of cold and rain at that point I decided if I wanted to do Alaska that it could not be on a schedule and probably would be adding on extra days

Last edited:
OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
That road is nasty, lots of videos on youtube
Yeah, I have seen many videos. Most say (from my understanding) that it all depends on whether or not they had rain recently.
Taking Uncle Phil's advice, I will limit it to just Alaska and leave west coast for another dedicated trip.
I looked at a few places in Alaska for tire install. I plan on having the tires shipped to them directly (probably from Revzilla) since most places don't have my tire of choice.
Thanks for the advice.

Bike
R1200rt
Yeah, I have seen many videos. Most say (from my understanding) that it all depends on whether or not they had rain recently.
Taking Uncle Phil's advice, I will limit it to just Alaska and leave west coast for another dedicated trip.
I looked at a few places in Alaska for tire install. I plan on having the tires shipped to them directly (probably from Revzilla) since most places don't have my tire of choice.
Thanks for the advice.
Be sure to let us know how the trip turned out with pics ... Al

Bike
R1200rt
Thanks for the advice.
just a thought, spend a night at LOCSTOC or NATSTOC,, its on the way

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mike - What I find in any long trip is that there will be things planned that you have to take off the list. Stuff just happens so you have to be flexible. Just be aware that in the Yukon/BC/Alaska area, 500 miles a day is a 'big' day. And fuel can sometimes be a challenge. When I'm up there, I start looking at a 1/2 tank so I have plenty of tank to 'spare'. Places that are open one year maybe closed the next year. I bought a Mileposts as it was recommended and I found it pretty useless. It seldom came out of the saddlebag because things change in the area so much. There are some really great places to stay along the ALCAN, and so not so great. I address that in my trip reports for those who want to make the trip. Good places that I liked were King Eddy in Stewart(Hyder), Snowshoe Motel in Tok, Sgt. Preston in Skagway, Toad River Lodge at Toad River, the Lodge Motel at Dawson Creek the beginning of the ALCAN, Cozy Corner at Haines Junction, the Yukon Motel at Teslin. My 2012 and 2013 trips are probably a little closer to what you have in mind.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
As others have said, and I think you are now realizing, 3 weeks is not nearly long enough.
IF you want to experience the trip.
Here's a report I did 2 years ago riding from PA to AK and back.
Lots of advice in the 'Trip Planning' section there.
To lock yourself in to riding 600+ miles a day is foolish. You become a slave to the odometer. There's no time to sit and talk with fellows in Nebraska. Or a retired fisherman in Hyder. Take photos of Eagles in Haines. Or wait out cold and rainy weather. Listen to hosts at a BnB in Wiseman AK talk about -60 weather.
If none of that matters to you, pin the throttle and hang on.
It will be your loss.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Mike - What I find in any long trip is that there will be things planned that you have to take off the list. Stuff just happens so you have to be flexible. Just be aware that in the Yukon/BC/Alaska area, 500 miles a day is a 'big' day. And fuel can sometimes be a challenge. When I'm up there, I start looking at a 1/2 tank so I have plenty of tank to 'spare'. Places that are open one year maybe closed the next year. I bought a Mileposts as it was recommended and I found it pretty useless. It seldom came out of the saddlebag because things change in the area so much. There are some really great places to stay along the ALCAN, and so not so great. I address that in my trip reports for those who want to make the trip. Good places that I liked were King Eddy in Stewart(Hyder), Snowshoe Motel in Tok, Sgt. Preston in Skagway, Toad River Lodge at Toad River, the Lodge Motel at Dawson Creek the beginning of the ALCAN, Cozy Corner at Haines Junction, the Yukon Motel at Teslin. My 2012 and 2013 trips are probably a little closer to what you have in mind.
All great tips UP.
I am aware of the gas situation, so I will be mindful of that.
I'll look at those trips as well.
I appreciate it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mike - And I do realize that you are dealing with a limited amount of vacation which is always a challenge in trip planning. That's the reason on some of my trips, I just have cover a lot of miles quickly 'getting there and back' so I can enjoy time 'there'. :biggrin: It's either do that or never go anywhere. One day when I retire, I'm gonna get serious about this motorcycle riding … ;)

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
One day when I retire, I'm gonna get serious about this motorcycle riding
One year in and now is the time to go Darkside - never enough time in the past.
Talking of cleaning, after the Alaskan trip, local friend stripped the bike down - all plastic, wheels and accessories came off just to clean as best he could - that grey stuff is naaasty!

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
On the way back depending on time, we may drop in through Washington and ride down the coast to ride the PCH (bucket list ride for us) see Yosemite and go across nevada, Utah, Colorado and east towards Florida.
In 2018 I rode UT-12/UT-24/UT-95 and it was awesome. (https://goo.gl/maps/mTKouxZBFz8Sjo7U9)
From there you are close to the Four Corners.
The Million Dollar Highway (part of U.S 550 in Colorado) and Monarch Pass (US-50) are spectacular, too.

Good luck, have a great trip.

STOC #
I cheated and rode the Alaska Marine Highway up there as I had time constraint. Very enjoyable auto ferry ride. Camp on the roof or get a berth like I did after the Hyder Seek Rally. I used a copy of the Milepost and recommend it. https://www.themilepost.com/ I actually ripped out the pages I needed, made a notebook and used grease pencil on the windscreen with route turns.

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
It would be silly not to spend a few days in Banff and Jasper while heading that way. Moraine Lake has to be seen to be believed.

Edit: Speed limits in Canada are quite a bit lower than in the US.

(Also, I’ve seen your videos last year, they’re on my regular winter watching list! )

Last edited:
Hello

I have never been all the way to Alaska, but last summer I went from South Florida to the Yellowstone and back. I took me 16 days with some days of 550+ miles.

One think that I'd recommend is to pass by Louisiana and Arkansas on your way there. Riding the Ozark is a great experience and it makes the trip there way more enjoyable. I would also include the Mark Twain forest. Great rides.

Have a safe and nice trip

Cheers

Adi

Bike
R1200rt
what was the average price of hotels in Alaska/BC and how hard was it to find vacancy? Yes I know it was a few years back but just a general idea.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Realistically for me I would shoot for Haines basically doing a loop, up the alcan and down the Cassier Highway.
450 miles a day up there would be full riding days.

If an all out mile crunching ride is in order I would prioritize being with the Mrs. at the far side of the trip.
If four 750 days (assuming Miami) in a row are doable solo, I would consider flying her into Calgary to give a better an more comfortable shot at getting further north together.

I had to abandon the Alaska goal the first time I went up. Between the weather and my gear I turned around at Whitehorse. Going easier on my body made the trip more enjoyable. 6500 miles in 14 days. Highest adrenaline thing I’ve done on a bike at walking speed, ride through a herd of bison. I was 3 or 4 feet face to face.

The second time I made it to Tok and took the Top of the World Highway to Dawson City. Incredible scenery. Great ride. 8600 miles, 19 days, 200 miles of light rain about 20 miles of heavy rain, no snow, no bugs. Perfect timing.

Top Bottom