Florida to Alaska routes, advice?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
And please don't forget about the lost biker flop house in NE Washington..... If it helps at all, a free stop over with tech help or food....
And the view doesn't suck..... Let me know if interested. ToddC
IMG_20190424_092836.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
what was the average price of hotels in Alaska/BC and how hard was it to find vacancy? Yes I know it was a few years back but just a general idea.
Al - I booked mine in January for a trip in July. Up there, everything is a 'resort' - even if it's a leanto with a tarp - and priced accordingly. ;)
Best I remember, most places were 'north' of $100 a night.
It does depend on how the USD is doing against the CND.

Bike
2017 Super Tenere
2024 Miles
Hi guys,
I will be starting the ride in Fort Lauderdale and ride to Bismarck North Dakota where the Mrs will be arriving via plane and joining me. (only 2 weeks vacation from work, ]
If I'm reading this correctly Your wife only has 2 weeks to ride from Bismarck up to the Arctic Circle and back to Fort Lauderdale?
That would be 8,200 miles the very shortest way possible. or 512 miles a day for 16 days straight. So if you add some 500 miles to that for varying off the shortest possible way you end up with 550 miles a day. All that is fine until you add in the low speed limits in Canada, The bears you will see constantly and stop to take pictures of, The glaciers , the mountains, the Moose, the Dall Sheep, The Woods Bison, Arctic Fox, Gold Dredges and endless scenic overlooks and views
But don't let any of that stop you, GO FOR IT! It's just a fantastic trip! I made it to the Arctic Ocean once and Inuvik twice . Don't forget to ride the Casiar.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Realistically for me I would shoot for Haines basically doing a loop, up the alcan and down the Cassier Highway.
450 miles a day up there would be full riding days.

If an all out mile crunching ride is in order I would prioritize being with the Mrs. at the far side of the trip.
If four 750 days (assuming Miami) in a row are doable solo, I would consider flying her into Calgary to give a better an more comfortable shot at getting further north together.

I had to abandon the Alaska goal the first time I went up. Between the weather and my gear I turned around at Whitehorse. Going easier on my body made the trip more enjoyable. 6500 miles in 14 days. Highest adrenaline thing I’ve done on a bike at walking speed, ride through a herd of bison. I was 3 or 4 feet face to face.

The second time I made it to Tok and took the Top of the World Highway to Dawson City. Incredible scenery. Great ride. 8600 miles, 19 days, 200 miles of light rain about 20 miles of heavy rain, no snow, no bugs. Perfect timing.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that route.
four 750 days are definitely doable if I'm solo (actually out of FT Lauderdale, just north of Miami)
When did you go? You mentioned bad weather, so trying to figure out the best time to go.
The herd of Bison sounds incredible. One of the reasons for this trip is to see wildlife.

Thanks for your input.
Mike

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Bike
R1200rt
And please don't forget about the lost biker flop house in NE Washington..... If it helps at all, a free stop over with tech help or food....
And the view doesn't suck..... Let me know if interested. ToddC
IMG_20190424_092836.jpg
can I book a week for next year:rofl1:

Bike
2021 KTM 890 Adventu
I shipped from South Georgia to Spokane. Then rode north through Banff National Park to Prince George. Then North on the Cassiar Hwy (37) to Watson Lake, over to Hyder then to White Horse then to Anchorage. From there I rode south into the Kenai down to Homer. The most beautiful and enjoyable location I experienced was Seward. I rode through the tunnel at Whittier and took the ferry to Valdez. I was not looking forward to the ride out going back to Spokane so I took the ferry "Columbia" from Skagway down to Bellingham Washington. It was a beautiful trip through the inner passage. There were 60 motorcycles and riders on board. I pitched my tent on the aft deck and spent four nights on the boat. We stopped each day and I was able to go into town for a couple of hours to look around and resupply. I enjoyed conversing with riders from all walks of life. When I left Bellingham I rode up to Mount Baker where the snow was still piled high at the Ski Resort in June. I left there and rode across the northern Cascades to Winthrop then over to the Grand Coulee Dam. Then on to Spokane where I loaded the bike on the truck and flew home. My ride was 5,000 miles and I was gone for a total of 17 days.
I found Uncle Phil's trip reports very helpful. I thank him for sharing the information. I have no regrets about skipping Denali and Prudhoe Bay. The highlights were Lake Louise, Seward, the four day ferry ride, Mount Baker and the Grand Coulee Dam. I spent five nights in my tent (four of them on the ferry). Two nights in a Yurt in the Yukon.
I had no reservations. I did have trouble finding a motel room on several days. That's how I did it. Bucket list item checked off.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
It would be silly not to spend a few days in Banff and Jasper while heading that way. Moraine Lake has to be seen to be believed.

Edit: Speed limits in Canada are quite a bit lower than in the US.

(Also, I’ve seen your videos last year, they’re on my regular winter watching list! )
Thanks, I will look into those, & thanks for the heads up on the speed limit. I'll keep the wrist leveled.
That's great, I appreciate you watching. What is your name on Youtube?

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Hello

I have never been all the way to Alaska, but last summer I went from South Florida to the Yellowstone and back. I took me 16 days with some days of 550+ miles.

One think that I'd recommend is to pass by Louisiana and Arkansas on your way there. Riding the Ozark is a great experience and it makes the trip there way more enjoyable. I would also include the Mark Twain forest. Great rides.

Have a safe and nice trip

Cheers

Adi
Thanks Adi,
We have been to Louisiana several times, and I rode through Arkansas in May on my ride to Wyoming. Both great rides.
Where is South Florida are you from?

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I shipped from South Georgia to Spokane. Then rode north through Banff National Park to Prince George. Then North on the Cassiar Hwy (37) to Watson Lake, over to Hyder then to White Horse then to Anchorage. From there I rode south into the Kenai down to Homer. The most beautiful and enjoyable location I experienced was Seward. I rode through the tunnel at Whittier and took the ferry to Valdez. I was not looking forward to the ride out going back to Spokane so I took the ferry "Columbia" from Skagway down to Bellingham Washington. It was a beautiful trip through the inner passage. There were 60 motorcycles and riders on board. I pitched my tent on the aft deck and spent four nights on the boat. We stopped each day and I was able to go into town for a couple of hours to look around and resupply. I enjoyed conversing with riders from all walks of life. When I left Bellingham I rode up to Mount Baker where the snow was still piled high at the Ski Resort in June. I left there and rode across the northern Cascades to Winthrop then over to the Grand Coulee Dam. Then on to Spokane where I loaded the bike on the truck and flew home. My ride was 5,000 miles and I was gone for a total of 17 days.
I found Uncle Phil's trip reports very helpful. I thank him for sharing the information. I have no regrets about skipping Denali and Prudhoe Bay. The highlights were Lake Louise, Seward, the four day ferry ride, Mount Baker and the Grand Coulee Dam. I spent five nights in my tent (four of them on the ferry). Two nights in a Yurt in the Yukon.
I had no reservations. I did have trouble finding a motel room on several days. That's how I did it. Bucket list item checked off.
Thanks for the great info.
The ferry sounds interesting. I might consider that as an option.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There will be wildlife.
The Whitehorse trip was was August 25 to September 7, 2002. I turned around lacking heated gear. And looking at the next several more days being low 40s and rain vs 60s and sunny by turning back. I was a couple hundred feet below the snow line at one point.

The Top if the World Highway trip was from September 6-24 2011.
The lack of bad weather was a lucky deal and the lack of bugs was a matter of going so late in the season.

I paid a hundred a night in several places and that was a few years ago. The other nights I camped.

Although the weather is a crapshoot late in the season, the advantages are that the road construction is winding down, the lodging prices come down, there is less traffic. Traffic is mostly an issue when it bunches up at construction sites.
They say if you get snowed in late August early September, you’ll be moving within two days because it does warm up quickly.

I’d think the longer daylight and warmer temperatures of June would make that a good time of year to ride.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
There will be wildlife.
The Whitehorse trip was was August 25 to September 7, 2002. I turned around lacking heated gear. And looking at the next several more days being low 40s and rain vs 60s and sunny by turning back. I was a couple hundred feet below the snow line at one point.

The Top if the World Highway trip was from September 6-24 2011.
The lack of bad weather was a lucky deal and the lack of bugs was a matter of going so late in the season.

I paid a hundred a night in several places and that was a few years ago. The other nights I camped.

Although the weather is a crapshoot late in the season, the advantages are that the road construction is winding down, the lodging prices come down, there is less traffic. Traffic is mostly an issue when it bunches up at construction sites.
They say if you get snowed in late August early September, you’ll be moving within two days because it does warm up quickly.

I’d think the longer daylight and warmer temperatures of June would make that a good time of year to ride.
Thanks for the reply.
That is late in the season.
We are planning late June as I am finding that weather wise, that is a safer time to go, but there are lots of mosquitos. Obviously there are no guarantees up there.
I had not considered the traffic situation. Good to know.
That's why these forums are invaluable.
We plan on doing a mix of camping and motels (2 or 3 nights camping a week when possible), as I know rooms can get expensive north of the border.
Thanks again.
Mike

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
what was the average price of hotels in Alaska/BC and how hard was it to find vacancy? Yes I know it was a few years back but just a general idea.
Finding a room: days are long with lots of light and travelers generally take advantage of it. So . . . my experience is that if you don't ride out the light each day, stopping by 5pm or so you'll have no problem finding a room without a reservation. That said, it's comforting to know you've got a room waiting, so each morning, I'd look at my route and figure out where I might end up. I'd pick a town or two and some hotels, note down their contact information then when stopping for lunch decide where I'd call it a day, call ahead and make a reservation. I'd generally stop about 5'ish and check in to a quiet and lonely hotel that started filling up after 7.

As to cost . . . if you call the hotels in the area you plan on stopping you can ask for prices then call back to the one that best fits your budget. Overall, there's not a lot of choices to be had in most areas if not in the big cities like Fairbanks.

Routing ideas:
It's only January, so plenty of time for routing. I'll add some to Uncle Phil's and others suggestions (all good) later. But, for now:
- Either on the way up or on the way back . . . ride the Cassiar Hwy (CA 37)! The north end is at the Alaska Hwy, 22 km west of Watson Lake). If you do, plan your overnights to NOT overnight in Bell II if hotel cost is a concern, it's a high end resort with no other choices within 100 km and VERY expensive.
- Great motorcycle shops in Fairbanks for tires and maintenance support.
- Definitely ride up to the Arctic Circle pull out and get your "been there" pics at "the sign." Going further north to Prudhoe Bay is just 300 miles of crappy road and nothing spectacular to see. The only reason to continue up there is because you have a job there or you just want to be able to say you've been there. I've been there, have some costly pics of my boots in the Arctic Ocean. Wait until you are retired and have unlimited time to travel to go if you're so inclined.
- If you haven't ridden the Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass between Cody, WY, and Red Lodge, MT, I strongly recommend trying to work it in to your route. Otherwise, make a note and include it in a future trip.
- On the way, Carhenge in Alliance, NE, is worth a short stop if it works into your routing.
- How about a visit and some "been there" pics at the iconic American Pickers antiques store in Le Claire, IA. Might even see Mike and Frank there.

More to follow,
Shuey

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
...This June, me and the Mrs. are planning a 3 week ride from Florida to Alaska.
Bike is being prepped for the ride. Gear has been purchased, and I am now it planning mode.
Departure date is still TBD, but we are shooting for late June...
Wow!...

The trip sounds fantastic at first, but the time constraint makes it sound like you'll be beating yourself (and your wife!) up daily. I just did a quick sanity check on Bing maps and the quickest way from Bismark, SD to Fairbanks is 2700 miles and 50 hrs. That comes out to 5.5 days each way and 10 hr days. That's without stopping to see anything, without getting gas, without stopping for food...and without letting your wife get off to stretch her legs. Were you planning on using catheters? Otherwise, you'll need to stop and pee. (Nature won't be defeated!) :D That's a total of 11 days out of your wife's 14 days of vacation and she's going to need a day to fly home. So you're down to 2 days to play tourist. Going only to Anchorage actually is longer in both miles and hours. How many years have you been married? Did you really expect to still be married by the next anniversary? :D

Is there any way to "fly and ride"? In other words to fly into somewhere closer and ship your bike or rent when you're up there? Or plan something else and put this trip off till you both retire and have all the time you want for the trip, and do it right?

If I had all the time I needed for this trip, I'd start thinking of all the "bucket list" destinations I've dreamed of. Then plan my route to take those in. I went about it the backwards way a few years ago when I retired. I wanted to go to NATSTOC so planned on taking non-freeways as often as I could. When I finished planning my ride, I realized I had accidentally picked up a bunch of "bucket list" locations on my route. It was by accident. I didn't plan it to do that, it just happened. So I picked up the Old Spiral Highway in Lewiston, Lolo Pass, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass (cold! and windy!...and absolutely beautiful and worth every minute), the Bighorns, and on the way back, Banff. As tomoldovan wrote, Moraine Lake is gorgeous.

It would be silly not to spend a few days in Banff and Jasper while heading that way. Moraine Lake has to be seen to be believed...

The first time I went through there, was coming back from NATSTOC. I got the postcard picture above from the parking lot...and then left 20 minutes later because I had miles and miles to go. The second time I went, I planned three weeks to spend solely in Banff and Jasper National Parks. That time I hiked to the far end of the lake and got a chance to really experience it, not just get a picture. I spent hours there, just soaking it in.

And yes, the water is that green. ;)

Lastly, when considering going up to the Arctic Circle...or anywhere else for that matter, try using Google Maps and the Street View. There are times I've been comparing two roads and found that by using that tool, I've avoided roads that are not only straight as an arrow, but also totally devoid of any scenery except short trees to each side of the road for miles and miles.

Just some thoughts...

Chris

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Finding a room: days are long with lots of light and travelers generally take advantage of it. So . . . my experience is that if you don't ride out the light each day, stopping by 5pm or so you'll have no problem finding a room without a reservation. That said, it's comforting to know you've got a room waiting, so each morning, I'd look at my route and figure out where I might end up. I'd pick a town or two and some hotels, note down their contact information then when stopping for lunch decide where I'd call it a day, call ahead and make a reservation. I'd generally stop about 5'ish and check in to a quiet and lonely hotel that started filling up after 7.

As to cost . . . if you call the hotels in the area you plan on stopping you can ask for prices then call back to the one that best fits your budget. Overall, there's not a lot of choices to be had in most areas if not in the big cities like Fairbanks.

Routing ideas:
It's only January, so plenty of time for routing. I'll add some to Uncle Phil's and others suggestions (all good) later. But, for now:
- Either on the way up or on the way back . . . ride the Cassiar Hwy (CA 37)! The north end is at the Alaska Hwy, 22 km west of Watson Lake). If you do, plan your overnights to NOT overnight in Bell II if hotel cost is a concern, it's a high end resort with no other choices within 100 km and VERY expensive.
- Great motorcycle shops in Fairbanks for tires and maintenance support.
- Definitely ride up to the Arctic Circle pull out and get your "been there" pics at "the sign." Going further north to Prudhoe Bay is just 300 miles of crappy road and nothing spectacular to see. The only reason to continue up there is because you have a job there or you just want to be able to say you've been there. I've been there, have some costly pics of my boots in the Arctic Ocean. Wait until you are retired and have unlimited time to travel to go if you're so inclined.
- If you haven't ridden the Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass between Cody, WY, and Red Lodge, MT, I strongly recommend trying to work it in to your route. Otherwise, make a note and include it in a future trip.
- On the way, Carhenge in Alliance, NE, is worth a short stop if it works into your routing.
- How about a visit and some "been there" pics at the iconic American Pickers antiques store in Le Claire, IA. Might even see Mike and Frank there.

More to follow,
Shuey
Great info Shuey.
It is appreciated.
Haven't seen you since FLstoc a few years ago.
I hope everything is good with you.
Mike

Top Bottom