For BMW GS or GSA riders...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a 2022 BMW 1250 GSA waiting for me out in California, at RawHyde Adventures.
It has the TFT display, and above that the BMW Nav VI (older Garmin GPS), and I want to add the Garmin Zumo XT beside the Nav.
The question is, ...is there room? Mounting it above the Nav would place it too high in my line of sight, so I'm thinking there "just might" be room next to the Nav if I scoot it over.
Anyone done this?
I have enough RAM mounts to make it a handlebar mount, or put it on the steering stem, or put it on the clutch or brake master cylinder. But I DON'T want it outboard, I want it centered if possible.
Input, ideas, welcome. Or just tell me I'm a blooming idiot. But here's the "stock" configuration, for reference... (not my bike, but close enough)

EDIT: Don't freak out on me. I'm keeping the ST1300, but it just sucks on trails...

1250 GSA cockpit.jpg

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a 2022 BMW 1250 GSA waiting for me out in California, at RawHyde Adventures.
It has the TFT display, and above that the BMW Nav VI (older Garmin GPS), and I want to add the Garmin Zumo XT beside the Nav.
The question is, ...is there room? Mounting it above the Nav would place it too high in my line of sight, so I'm thinking there "just might" be room next to the Nav if I scoot it over.
Anyone done this?
I have enough RAM mounts to make it a handlebar mount, or put it on the steering stem, or put it on the clutch or brake master cylinder. But I DON'T want it outboard, I want it centered if possible.
Input, ideas, welcome. Or just tell me I'm a blooming idiot. But here's the "stock" configuration, for reference... (not my bike, but close enough)

EDIT: Don't freak out on me. I'm keeping the ST1300, but it just sucks on trails...

1250 GSA cockpit.jpg
You might step up your response count by posting in GSpot or BMWST Gelande Strasse.

Congratulations on the new motorcycle.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd put it in the center with a ram mount.

Sell the nav, the XT is better.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You might step up your response count by posting in GSpot or BMWST Gelande Strasse.

Congratulations on the new motorcycle.
True that; I went to the Mapping & Navigation forum, after painful and careful deliberation and over-thinking.

@dbst1300 I've seen that, but I want it ALL! I want it ALL and I want it NOW!
Oh, and world peace, too.
Am I asking too much...?
Wanna keep the Nav VI, if for no other reason than to see how long it takes to fail. Lots and lots of replacements by Garmin, apparently this model has a ghosting problem on the screen.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'd put it in the center with a ram mount.

Sell the nav, the XT is better.
That is, indeed, the consensus among all but the rarest few. And as noted, the XT will actually fit the Nav VI mount if I want to go that way.
I don't...

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
You could have basic navigation on the TFT screen courtesy the BMW app, or does that not provide the detail you require?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have never used the app, all I know about it is what I have read and one rider that told me for day to day riding it did the trick for him.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I have a 1250 GS, and just sold my NAV VI and got the Garmin XT. I should have done this a long time ago. The XT is so much better than the NAV VI. Also motopumps.com has a nice mount for the XT with a locking plate. Enjoy the bike with whatever you choose, i would probably sell the ST too cause after riding the GSA, the ST will probably just be sitting. LOL

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Kinda curious how many Nav VIs I'll go through. A couple guys on ADVrider are up to 5 and 6, and Garmin just keeps replacing them. That's why I want them both at once. Nearly all the Iron Butt ralliers have 2 live GPSs, and one in the trunk as a spare.
I DO like the ST, and besides... I don't have a trailer hitch on the GSA yet. Well, I don't actually have the GSA yet, either. I'll pick it up from RawHyde Adventures next spring.
(But I did find a hitch for the BMW, too...)
My German Shepherd likes to travel.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Probably won't help much due to model year differences, but I got a Touratech GPS mounting bracket for my '08 and machined up a simple mount (which could be bought, but I'm cheap.) I personally find the ride position much more comfortable than the ST. I love the ST, but one of these days I just know I'm going to walk out in the garage and decide to part ways.

XTGS.jpg

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I do like the TT GPS mounts, and have had several, still do. But they're pricey, and this go-round I believe I'll spring for the smaller one by MotoPumps, which is also only about $50.
I could sell a few of the TouraTech mounts I have, except i still have all these old GPSs too, going back to a couple GPS V's ... that still work.
Good for speed, elevation, if you have room in the cockpit for them.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know the Nav VI's have a horrible reputation, yet I have had mine for 2 years / 16,000 miles without so much as a hiccup. With that said, I just bought the XT which I will mount on my GSA with the Touratech mount (as soon as they come back in stock), and use the Nav VI exclusively on my K1600 going forward. I do like the interface on the XT better and as I rarely use the Wonder Wheel to view / zoom pages on the Nav VI, I certainly won't miss that functionality.

I am curious though, why do you need 2 GPS's on a bike? My ignorance is showing here...

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I am curious though, why do you need 2 GPS's on a bike? My ignorance is showing here...
I first got the concept from the real Iron Butt riders, the ones who actually do The Big One.
Firstly, they're pretty well sunk from any hope of a top podium finish if they have all their bonuses routed out, and their GPS fails. So... redundancy.
Secondly, you can use two separate GPSs for two different screens... one for anticipated bonus stops and the planned route in sequence, the second for the final destination or end of day. This is just an example; I've never ridden the IBR. Or current route on one, weather / traffic on the other.
So they can simultaneously view distance / time to the next bonus, as well as each bonus on their current leg - "big picture", if you will.
I do know that it's not unusual for some ralliers to have 2 GPSs mounted and working, with a third tucked away in the event one starts acting up.
Truthfully, someone like @Shuey would be better to explain this better than I. Who's our other Iron Butt finisher (I should know this)... @jodog ?
Wish I had a photo of (?) Ron ...forgot last name, whose BMW years ago was nicknamed The Spaceship, or The Enterprise, for his techno-laden cockpit. It's still out there, somewhere.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sadlsor did a great job answering the question and I do all of those things and I'll add one more . . . alternating bonus locations. My right GPS has the map and information that's getting me to the next bonus location (Bonus 1). Before I arrive there, I bring up the follow-on bonus location (Bonus 2) on the left GPS. On arrival at Bonus 1, I capture the Bonus (usually taking a picture) then immediately head out using the left GPS to get me correctly on the way. When safe, I bring up Bonus 2 on the right GPS and Bonus 3 on the left and . . . so on and so on until the end of the rally. In short, the right GPS is 'at bat' and the left GPS is 'on deck'.

There are several other IBR riders on our site . . . kendoo, Doc, Travelman and ELC come to mind. Side note: the 2023 IBR start/finish is in Pittsburgh, 19-30Jun23.

Shuey

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
During one of my IBRs I had three GPS's mounted and at least one more in a saddlebag. Something about the IBR causes GPS failure. Once I had a gps come loose and fly off the bike at 70 mph. That didn't turn out well. One GPS can be focused on the next bonus while a second has the entire day's ride. And there's weather, music, and data keeping (avg speed for the day). Another use is to use one gps to "play with the route" to add/delete/change bonus locations after you have left the checkpoint to find a better route or you find a bonus to be unavailable or find yourself ahead of schedule. You still want one gps guiding you while you are doing all the what ifs on another gps. I understand that you can also hook a FLIR unit into a gps although I have never done that. Of course now phones are becoming an additional gps with waze and google maps. Waze is particularly good when in urban areas.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
See?
I knew the REAL Iron Butt riders would say it better than I could.
Hats off / helmets off to the Big Dogs. If you have ever finished an IBR, you will always have my respect!

Top Bottom