Fork Brace: worth it?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
mlheck said:
No, preatty much in all area's. The bike is much more stable when the forks are supporting it properly.
A pulled hamstring and bone spurs affect walking. Improvement on either of those areas will improve walking. But not in all areas. In the broadest sense you're correct but one correcting one problem doesn't do much if anything for the other.

caldercay said:
Hmmmm. If each inner tube is itself "bending", a fork brace mounted across the outer tubes wont stop the inner tube "bending".
Not exactly. The flex occurs between the lower triple clamp and the axle. In the video posted the bending or flexing was most apparent midway between those two points IIRC. The flexing of the inner tube (fork tube) was also affected by movement of the 'outer' tube (fork leg). Whatever was moving the fork tubes themselves couldn't be the only part of the equation.

Stabilizing the fork legs at the top would add stability to the entire fork assembly. So it might not stop the flex but it's obvious how it could decrease it.

As to stiction it also seems very possible if not likely that a fork tube's flexing at the point of entry into the leg could load the fork seal more than when not flexing causing the seal/tube interaction to bind increasing stiction momentarily.

That comes back to fundamental questions— how much flex is present in any given make/model of bike and will a fork brace make a difference and will that rider be able to appreciate it.

If you've tried a brace and felt no improvement and even a decrease in handling, I don't doubt your observations but see them relevant to you and your individual bike. But I apply the same to those who have tried one and felt an improvement.

In the absence of observable results from objective controlled testing we're left with few data points and rank conjecture. Placebo effect? Maybe. Maybe not. Geeze this is fun.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Will it help. Yes!! does it have to be properly installed? An even bigger YES!!!

Will everyone be able to tell the difference or appreciate it? NO!!!

It's not an insult to you if you don't notice a difference.

It can be a subtle improvement, if installed wrong, a degradation. But it adds stiffness and control that you may not be able to feel. The forks are not so solid they don't need some help.

Bottom line,
It's an upgrade you may not understand or appreciate, and that is okay.
Why didn't Honda do it at the factory? Cost vs benefit!

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
One note; I've seen some fork braces that clamp over/around the plastic guards at the top of the lower leg. I'm not sure how the Super Brace works but I have a hard time believing that any design that does not clamp rigidly to the fork tubes themselves would offer anything more than bling.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
One note; I've seen some fork braces that clamp over/around the plastic guards at the top of the lower leg. I'm not sure how the Super Brace works but I have a hard time believing that any design that does not clamp rigidly to the fork tubes themselves would offer anything more than bling.
To install the Super Brace you have to cut of the plastic fork guards. They sell replacement guards that screw into the top of the brace.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Simulator video illustrating the purpose of the fork brace
(How accurate this is wrt the ST1300 is unknown)

https://superbrace.com/

Product Descriptions

SuperBrace's 2263 Fork Stabilizer is made specifically for Honda ST1300 / 1300 ABS (2003-2012).

SuperBrace is the leading motorcycle fork stabilizer. Our patented brace provides better stability,superior aerodynamics and a more streamlined look than other multi-piece braces on the market.

• Eliminates Fork Flex
  • Reduces low and high speed wobbles.
  • Improves stability in tight cornering.
  • Improves tire life and reduces cupping.
  • Decreases sensitivity to rough road surfaces and rain grooves.
  • Each SuperBrace is designed and manufactured for each specific motorcycle.
  • Every SuperBrace is made of 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and machined to a tolerance of + or - .002 of an inch, with a polished finish.
  • Ten minute easy installation.
  • Competition proven by world class racers.
  • We stand behind our product with a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Last edited:

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Anyone have advice on fork braces? Is it worth $175+ to install?
Thx for the input folks!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Search for fork brace threads - we just had this discussion in the last week or so. YOu can get a lot of info if you do a search - try various key words.....

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I don't know about the 1300, but Honda built a fork brace into the design of the front fender on the 1100, with a big lump of metal that fastens to the fork legs and is hidden by the fender.

I don't ride over 80 mph, and have never felt the need for a brace (though I've experienced the "skating on ice" feel).

60% of riding is 2-up, and always feel confident.

A long time ago, I complained on this site about the occasional odd feel ... and someone responded, "get over it, the bike is planted ...what you're experiencing is more in your head"

That advice worked ... it's just an interesting characteristic of the ST.

I have a brace on the Wing, but it was there when I bought it from previous owner. I have no opinion whether it makes a difference, as I've never ridden it without.

Reactions: ATA

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks for all the input folks. I think that will be my next addition. Not much money to increase the stability. THX!

jswartz

Stomper
Bike
ST 1300 '06
At $179, this is a pricey add on. But is it worth it?
Will it really make a significant difference in steering stability as advertised, does anyone have first hand experience with these?

http://www.accessoryinternational.com/product/superbrace-2263-fork-stabilizer.html
My '06 came with the superbrace, tight handling. I have had other ST owners take a spin on mine, and the response was very positive and could notice the difference immediately. It does what it's designed to do, which makes sense at speed, hard braking or turning. Short money for that, and takes less than an hour to enjoy.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Picture two parallel pipes connected at the bottom and top by one cross brace. (You have a rectangle out of the pipes.) This represents the forks from the lower triple clamp down to the axle. There is not much to resist you from twisting this assembly, which is what happens when the wheel of a bike goes over uneven terrain. Now, in an extreme example, consider a ladder. Try to twist it. Much much harder than that first example. If we remove all but the center rung, it approaches the first sample, but is still stiffer. In addition to stiffening the forks, the brace forces both legs to act together and reduces flex. Again, we have tied two parallel beams together so they cannot flex independently (well they will flex less independently and more in concert).
In regard to the twisting, the fork lower legs are each free to rotate on their respective fork tubes. The lower legs are locked together, rotationally speaking, by the axle, so the same sides of the tops, where the seals are, will also always face each other. There would be no reduction of each leg rotating on its tube by locking the tops together.

If you were to twist your theoretical rectangle of pipes along the long axis, the free-to-move centers of the long sides would get closer to each other as the twist increases. By fixing the distance between those points, each of the long sides (the fork tube assemblies) would be forced to flex as twist is applied, increasing stiction.

If some twist is inevitable, it should be preferable to allow the centers of the fork tube assemblies to move in relation to one another as each struggles to remain as straight as they can while enduring steering- and braking-induced side forces while simultaneously extending and collapsing in effort of keeping the tire on the road.

As for cornering forces moving the lower legs independently, The axle itself would have to bend into a slight zig-zag for that to occur. That also means the front wheel would have to cant to one side or the other, which would trigger brake drag among other things. I can't imagine the lower legs move in any way other than as a single object.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have a brace on the Wing, but it was there when I bought it from previous owner. I have no opinion whether it makes a difference, as I've never ridden it without.
You could just loosen it without removing it to see if there's a noticeable difference.

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
My '06 came with the superbrace, tight handling. I have had other ST owners take a spin on mine, and the response was very positive and could notice the difference immediately. It does what it's designed to do, which makes sense at speed, hard braking or turning. Short money for that, and takes less than an hour to enjoy.
Added one to my ST13 and believe it has made a big difference in handling and straight line tracking. For me...well worth the money!

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
You could just loosen it without removing it to see if there's a noticeable difference.
Now that's a great idea for a blind test!
No brace here, no front tire cupping and no PAN weave either before suspension upgrade or after, but I have noticed bits of the bike getting ground away since the upgrade, guess our ST is getting lighter :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
In regard to the twisting, the fork lower legs are each free to rotate on their respective fork tubes. The lower legs are locked together, rotationally speaking, by the axle, so the same sides of the tops, where the seals are, will also always face each other. There would be no reduction of each leg rotating on its tube by locking the tops together.

If you were to twist your theoretical rectangle of pipes along the long axis, the free-to-move centers of the long sides would get closer to each other as the twist increases. By fixing the distance between those points, each of the long sides (the fork tube assemblies) would be forced to flex as twist is applied, increasing stiction.

If some twist is inevitable, it should be preferable to allow the centers of the fork tube assemblies to move in relation to one another as each struggles to remain as straight as they can while enduring steering- and braking-induced side forces while simultaneously extending and collapsing in effort of keeping the tire on the road.

As for cornering forces moving the lower legs independently, The axle itself would have to bend into a slight zig-zag for that to occur. That also means the front wheel would have to cant to one side or the other, which would trigger brake drag among other things. I can't imagine the lower legs move in any way other than as a single object.
I give up. Are you saying the fork brace improves front end stiffness and therefore handling or not?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Sorry, I was trying to analyze the physical geometrics without declaring pro or con, but I am concluding that I don't see the gain.

My intent is for someone to read what I typed and explain what I missed and the specific motion that the brace suppresses.

Top Bottom