FortNine at it again

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
People like to bash HD riders, but I see plenty of dipsticks on crotch rockets with sunglasses, tank tops and flip-flops all summer long. Pulling wheelies and blasting through traffic at the speed of sound. The sad part is the usually very attractive, and similarly attired young women with them, that have no idea how close they are to a life with skin grafts IF they survive.

RT

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I once saw the service guys at my local Honda/Yamaha/Harley/Suzuki shop prepping a new Ultra for the happy customer. They were driving about a 4 ft. long metal rod up the mufflers with a large hammer.
I once saw a nearly identical scene while waiting for a co-worker to pick up his Sportster from Oakland Harley-Davidson.

Rider: Did you take care of the exhaust problem?
H-D Wrench: No. I can do it right now.

3-4' drift pin is hammered into pipes. Rider fires up H-D and is very happy. Rider was a CHP motor cop.

I was at a funeral years ago as various motor units showed up. San Francisco PD Oakland PD and CHP were all on H-Ds at the time. The noise as each rolled up was incredible. It actually lightened the mood for a minute — couldn't really explain why. It just did. OPD had 50 bikes. I lost count but it seemed like every one of them was there.

Around here if you want to see a really fast H-D just look at almost every one owned by a Hells Angel. I don't care for throttle-blippers be they on H-Ds or sport bikes. But I do love the sound of a big twin accelerating into the distance hitting the gears.

Bike
2005 st1300
People like to bash HD riders, but I see plenty of dipsticks on crotch rockets with sunglasses, tank tops and flip-flops all summer long. Pulling wheelies and blasting through traffic at the speed of sound. The sad part is the usually very attractive, and similarly attired young women with them, that have no idea how close they are to a life with skin grafts IF they survive.

RT
I bash 'em both. We just happened to be on the subject of Harley Davidson

You say that like it's a bad thing.
It is. We moved to "the country" for some peace-n-quiet and to have enough acreage so we're not 50 feet away from other houses.

Guess what? A neighbor who lives waaaaaay down our road, comes home from work anywhere from 11pm to midnight. Whoops, i almost forget the part that he rides a Harley, and when he turns onto our road, he HAS to run it to red-line all the way down the road and stays in lower gears.

Here's the odd thing - when he leaves for work at about 11am, he keeps the RPMs low and cruises at about 20 mph.

And yea, sometimes I'm up that late at night, watching Schitt's Creek (and even then it's annoying), but when I'm in bed asleep, he wakes me up two ways - with his annoying exhaust and it sets off two security cameras and so I get notifications on my phone.

I guarantee it freaks out the horses too. So yea, I'd say it's "a bad thing". If he arrived the same way he leaves, I'd not complain.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
It is. We moved to "the country" for some peace-n-quiet and to have enough acreage so we're not 50 feet away from other houses.

Guess what? A neighbor who lives waaaaaay down our road, comes home from work anywhere from 11pm to midnight. Whoops, i almost forget the part that he rides a Harley, and when he turns onto our road, he HAS to run it to red-line all the way down the road and stays in lower gears.

Here's the odd thing - when he leaves for work at about 11am, he keeps the RPMs low and cruises at about 20 mph.

And yea, sometimes I'm up that late at night, watching Schitt's Creek (and even then it's annoying), but when I'm in bed asleep, he wakes me up two ways - with his annoying exhaust and it sets off two security cameras and so I get notifications on my phone.

I guarantee it freaks out the horses too. So yea, I'd say it's "a bad thing". If he arrived the same way he leaves, I'd not complain.
Being a rider, you have something in common. I don't suppose you have asked him to not do that? I had a neighbor who liked to blast the tunes. Until I asked he not be so loud that it woke my infant kids (at the time). It worked. He turned it down. Had another with a Honda equipped with a fart can. Liked to speed up and down the street. I asked him to knock it off, my kids ride their bikes on the street. Again, he has complied. Buy him a beer, have a chat, most people are reasonable.

RT

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You say that like it's a bad thing.
The pastor at a church I attended, bought a Triumph Bonneville. The guys would all go out to admire the bike with all its chrome. The little kids did too. It was exciting and the kids loved it. But he couldn't leave well enough alone. He wanted a loud exhaust, so he changed the exhaust out to sound loud like a Harley. When he started it up, it was loud. Really loud. Almost like a straight pipe. You should've seen the look on the kid's faces. All the joy went out of them and they walked off to find something else to do.

My youngest daughter and I hiked up to Washington Pass in the North Cascades National Park. This place is isolated. You drive to Marblemount and then instead of continuing on Hwy 20, you go straight and take the road for 23 miles. From there, you hike 3.5 miles to get to Cascade Pass. But even from there on the trail, I could hear the loud exhausts of the Harley's on Hwy 20.

1604512214222.png

Yeah, I'd say loud exhausts are a bad thing.

Chris

STOC #
I think it is. I was about to start my bike one day and a small child clamped her ears and squeezed her eyes shut in preparation. Not the kind of pattern response I want on her when she grows up to be a legislator.
I had a similar experience one time. Came around a corner on my ST (with stock pipes) and was getting back on the throttle when a small boy with him Mom on the sidewalk let go of his Mothers hand and covered his ears as I went by.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
For such was born the emoticon, as the printed word does not communicate tone. Nobody knew. Mello Dude simply guessed correctly. (FFS)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
How did we survive without emoticons. The phrase I used had existed for many years outside of the Internet as comedic relief in many venues. I suppose I expected too much.

Top Bottom