Front & rear wheel removal without center stand

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Before you comment read the entire first post please.

I have a 2020 DL650 XT and need to replace the front and rear tires at the same time.

The bike does not have a center stand and I really don't want to buy one. If I still owned my house with my shop this would not be an issue. But my wife and I live full-time in a Class C toy hauler motorhome, space for extra tools is limited if existent at all.

Tools that I have available to me. Floor jack, Condor wheel chock, my mechanics hand tools and a flat level concrete surface to work on. There is no garage or anything like that to lift or hold the bike in the air via rafters.

PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST BUYING PIT STANDS OR ANYTHING ELSE LIKE THAT. I HAVE NO ROOM OR MONEY.

Ideally this would be a solution I can use anywhere and be comfortable that the bike won't fall without wheels.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Can you afford a set of four ratchet tie-down straps?

If so, hang the bike between a pair of trees. Seriously.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I am not familiar with a DL650 so the below may or may not be feasible.
The below is definitely not the easiest or the prettiest way to remove/install wheels, but I have done the below before when I was a poor young man with no equipment other than a floor jack and no other options available to me and I had to remove both wheels at the same time.

Piece of wood between the floor jack and the oil pan to distribute the weight.
...... A piece of wood long enough so that it protrudes on either side of the bike is useful as you can tie the bike to its outside edges to add sideways stability.
Floor jack placed under the oil pan where it provides the best balance point possible.
Jack it up to get the front wheel off of the ground. Ballast the rear end with something on the seat to hold it down if required- because the front is usually heavier than the back.
Use enough ballast to keep the rear wheel touching the ground to add stability, remove the front wheel.
Rotate the floor jack so that it is inline with the bike with the handle at the front end sticking out between the forks.
...... You will need help to keep the bike stable while rotating the jack, and it helps if the platform on your jack rotates 360 degrees and the surface that you are working on is fairly smooth.
Pull the front end down to get the rear wheel just slightly off of the ground. Tie it to the floor jack to keep it in that position.
Remove the rear wheel, paying attention to what direction it will tip when the weight of the rear wheel is removed.
...... Add more ballast to the rear seat as required to ensure that there is always tension on the restraints holding the front end down.
Reverse to reinstall.

Not pretty, not the easiest way to do it, but I have done it.
If you can do this somewhere that allows you to strap the bike between two objects to prevent it from tipping over sideways during this, and until you get the wheels back, so much the better.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You can use a cinder block, or milk crate, and a length of 2x6 board (crate can be used to store stuff, sit on, or hold bike) 2x6 can lay on edge out of the way somewhere etc.
You already have floor jack. When both wheels are removed, bikes balance pretty well.
However, I would use some tie downs or cordage to secure any tipping movement.
sofar.jpg

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
A variation on Igofar's technique.

Do you have 4 heavy duty tent pegs and ratchet straps or some medium duty rope. Loosen / disconnect everything you can while the bike is on solid ground and drive in the pegs about 4 - 5' from the bike on each side about 8 - 10' apart . Find the best balance point and jack the bike up, then tie off the bike to the pegs, finish removing wheels. Having a helper would be good.

Or when it's jacked up lean it against a tree , a picnic table, a pole or whatever is handy

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
You can use a cinder block, or milk crate, and a length of 2x6 board (crate can be used to store stuff, sit on, or hold bike) 2x6 can lay on edge out of the way somewhere etc.
You already have floor jack. When both wheels are removed, bikes balance pretty well.
However, I would use some tie downs or cordage to secure any tipping movement.

I like this idea. I have these things at my disposal. Once the wheels are off I may put a jack stand under each axel and tie the front and back of the bike off on something to help preventing a tip over.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Motorcycle jack would do it....maybe someone around you has one...Jack is on the left bike...

DSC01738.JPG

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Can you afford a set of four ratchet tie-down straps?

If so, hang the bike between a pair of trees. Seriously.
I'd be doing a variation of this, adding more straps and some good (30cm+) tent stakes, so you can control sideways movement better.

I've also used a bottle jack and some off-cuts of wood in the past... and I have drilled some eye-let bolts into concrete to tie the front end down (though that probably won't work in your motorhome situation).

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Put the axle bolts back on the bike once you get the wheels off and that will give you more contact point choices for leverage.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I got permission from the Forest Service, that is who we camp host for to use one of the buildings on site here. I also scrounged some large wood blocks. My tires arrive Friday so I thought I better see if I can get the bike situated so I can remove the wheels. The blocks of wood and 4 ratchet straps are going to do the trick.

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Why not just do one tire at a time, like a trail side repair?
Turn forks, secure side stand to front wheel, push over on side stand, and prop a crutch brace or piece of wood under frame?
Or a single tie down strap to a light pole or vehicle

Top Bottom