Frozen Rear Axle in July

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The axle has left the building :run1:
The OP has been sidelined with some Honey-Do chores, but I'm sure he'll be on here to explain/describe how it was removed shortly.
I will give folks a sneak peak preview, saying that all the brute strength hammering knocked the flange bearings out of the spline assembly, and still remained rusted/frozen to the axle, really putting our hero in a bind :rofl1:
I don't want to take his glory since he worked so hard, so I'll let him finish the story.
Glad it all worked out for him in the end. We're now waiting for parts to arrive, inspecting some other stuff along the way, and waiting to put 'er all back together.....after the wife gives him permission of course :rolleyes:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Good news, and all I'll say is, there BETTER be some pictures of this bearing assembly welded to that axle!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Grease would be nice, however, some greases heat up and go away, I find a thin film of Anti-seize better for axles.
If you use grease on a Harley axle, you'll be pounding it out with a very large ball peen hammer next time.
A thin coat of Anti-seize will still be there for the next tire change, and you won't have to pound it out.
:WCP1:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Grease would be nice, however, some greases heat up and go away, I find a thin film of Anti-seize better for axles.
If you use grease on a Harley axle, you'll be pounding it out with a very large ball peen hammer next time.
A thin coat of Anti-seize will still be there for the next tire change, and you won't have to pound it out.
:WCP1:
Never thought of anti-seize. I've been using a thin layer of wheel bearing grease since I began rebuilding old bikes, also with no issues but it does tend to clump in spots depending on how stringy it is. Will give the anti-seize a try.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Using this stuff since decades now, wheel/swing-arm bearing seals, brake/shifter lever pivots, clutch/brake levers, wheel axles, head-bearings, kickstand pivots, as aiding lubricant when installing wheel and head bearings... never had an issue...

I do like AntiSeize on the threads of exposed but infrequently removed bolts (i.e. where the carrier stay is held on the rear sub-frame) but it makes a real mess by contaminating just everything within and beyond the work-area... :biggrin:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Bel-Ray is the same stuff as any waterproof tractor grease, with just blue dye added instead of green, but like you, I've been using it for decades as well.
Next time you pull either of your wheels, look at the axle, and see it you can see two brown, or rusted wear spots where the bearings were ;)
AntiSeize is called for in many service manuals instead of grease.
They both work, I just find the AntiSeize is still painted on the surface with no witness marks 10,000 miles later for your next tire change.
The trick is just a very small amount (film) then wipe it all around ( I won't use the phrase, stroke the axle shaft ) and it will appear painted grey, with no excess to creep over other stuff.

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
"I do like AntiSeize on the threads of exposed but infrequently removed bolts (i.e. where the carrier stay is held on the rear sub-frame) but it makes a real mess by contaminating just everything within and beyond the work-area... :biggrin: "

Attachments

Bike
09 ST1300A
Anyone here ever have the rear axle literally seize in the shaft drive assembly and left side wheel bearing? The last time I had the rear wheel assembly off the bike was June of 2012 when I installed the 2011 BT 023’s. The wheel spins on the axle but, the axle will not budge any further than 1/2”…even with a 4lb plastic dead blow hammer.
My next step if I cannot resolve this myself is the take the offer Dave Stradling, owner of Honda Powesports of Troy, OH, offered me.
He’ll let me borrow his tiltable motorcycle trailer with wheel chauk to transport my ‘07 STA to his Service Department. His guys will use the brain power and experience of their techs along with the Honda Techline and their traveling dealer service rep to resolve this dilemma. And, mount my new T32 GT tires. All for $99/hour + parts and $50 per wheel to mount and balance. Could be 3 weeks before they can get to it.
In the meantime, I can’t wait to ride my ST with the new T32’s and RaceTech Gold suspension upgrade.
And, in August he’s raising his shop rate to $119/hour because he has to.
I’ve made a number of tire changes on my ST1300 in the 70,000 plus miles. No problems removing axels but I always put a thin coat of wheel bearing grease on the axles to protect them from rust or corrosion. Did the same for my ole 80,000 Valkyrie 1500.

Top Bottom