Fuel Filter replacement?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This week I removed and replaced 3 fuel pumps and fuel filters on ST1300's.
Two of the bikes were civilian models, and the other was a police motor.
All the bikes had between 40k and 60k miles on them.
One of them was guilty of running his fuel tank down to one bar too often, over heating and putting strain on his fuel pump.
The other two were serviced by their owners, doing yearly brake & clutch flushing, oil changes, air filters, and brake pads.
All three of them had one thing in common, (neglected) and that was their fuel filter had never been changed since new.
"my bike runs fine, no need to change it" etc.
I suspect this is one of the main reasons that the fuel pumps start dying a slow death.
After removing the filter(s), I filled a syringe full of fresh fuel and inserted it into one end of the filter(s), and placed a clean red shop rag over the other end, then pushed the fuel through.
Each time, what strained to come out the other end, was very nasty, and left a large black deposit as big as your palm on the shop rag.
Replacing the fuel filter is not a difficult job, and only runs about $40 dollars for the OEM filter, and $10 dollars for the packing (gasket).
It can be done in about 30 minutes with simple tools etc.
And its a whole lot cheaper than replacing the fuel pump.
So next time your thinking about servicing your bike, think about that poor, out of site, out of mind, fuel filter.
:WCP1:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good point. I replaced the one on my first 1300 at around 35k. I'm up to 50k on my 2nd, and I haven't thought to do it yet. I'm outting an order in in the next couple of days. I'll add it to the list.

Just had a good catch with a dry and corroding connector. - the main 4P connector from battery to ignition switch in the shroud on the left of the headstock. None of the connectors in there had any grease applied by Honda. I snipped off the male terminals, cut back the leads and fitted new blades. My horn now works without needing the engine to be running.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
This week I removed and replaced 3 fuel pumps and fuel filters on ST1300's.
Two of the bikes were civilian models, and the other was a police motor.
All the bikes had between 40k and 60k miles on them.
One of them was guilty of running his fuel tank down to one bar too often, over heating and putting strain on his fuel pump.
The other two were serviced by their owners, doing yearly brake & clutch flushing, oil changes, air filters, and brake pads.
All three of them had one thing in common, (neglected) and that was their fuel filter had never been changed since new.
"my bike runs fine, no need to change it" etc.
I suspect this is one of the main reasons that the fuel pumps start dying a slow death.
After removing the filter(s), I filled a syringe full of fresh fuel and inserted it into one end of the filter(s), and placed a clean red shop rag over the other end, then pushed the fuel through.
Each time, what strained to come out the other end, was very nasty, and left a large black deposit as big as your palm on the shop rag.
Replacing the fuel filter is not a difficult job, and only runs about $40 dollars for the OEM filter, and $10 dollars for the packing (gasket).
It can be done in about 30 minutes with simple tools etc.
And its a whole lot cheaper than replacing the fuel pump.
So next time your thinking about servicing your bike, think about that poor, out of site, out of mind, fuel filter.
:WCP1:
Really a useful reminder, my ST has 55K and never thought of it. Just ordered the filter and gasket for less than $40 on Ebay.
Thanks!

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thank you for this reminder Larry. I'm glad you have provided it. I am looking after my ST pretty well generally but have to confess to considering the fuel filter as a mystery item of unknown location that will require servicing 'one day' but not routinely.

What TIME/MILEAGE period would you recommend for routine (recurring) fuel filter change? My ST is a baby at 10 years of age and 22,000 miles.

Cheers, D

Bike
VStrom 650
I didn't realise that the ST13 filter was so expensive and that is probably the issue with not changing it often enough. The 11 is a quarter of the price for a genuine filter and a tenth for a quality non original item. Which makes it an affordable and easy item to change out.
Thanks for the reminder though Larry, good prompt for us 11'ers too.
Another £4.00 you've cost me........
Upt'North.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Would this be the correct pn#s for this job?
Qty 1: 17574-MN5-000 GASKET BASE
Qty 1: 16900-MBG-013 FILTER FUEL

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Would this be the correct pn#s for this job?
Qty 1: 17574-MN5-000 GASKET BASE
Qty 1: 16900-MBG-013 FILTER FUEL
Yes, however, you may also want to order (2) more OEM Honda pieces.
#16711-MCS-G00 $2.34
#16712-MAT-D01 $2.48
These are the two pieces of rubber hose that connect the fuel filter to the fuel pump.
It appears that Quantum cuts some corners, and only provide you with 1 piece of generic fuel line (looks automotive).
The OEM Honda stuff is made from a different material, and has markings of IN TANK FUEL HOSE on their pieces.
I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but since they are totally different textures, I'm thinking I'd want the line designed to be submerged in fuel, not just have the fuel run through it.
I just finished up installing a Quantum pump, OEM filter and hoses in my bike about 20 minutes ago.
Starts much easier, and seems to have a little more pep to it now :bannana:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Here's a couple of pictures showing the assembly in the lower fuel tank that consists of the fuel pump, fuel filter, and thermistor (for the flashing last block in the fuel gauge).

Swarf.jpg

Thermistor 1.jpg

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
How does the thermistor detect low fuel level, thanks? Is there a temperature factor?

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
What is the function of the silver twisted foil material please?

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
To scrub pots and pans with.... :rofl1:
Actually it's there to break up air bubbles on the fuel return.
The bottom of the pump has a sock type filter on it as well.

Last edited:

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Really a useful reminder, my ST has 55K and never thought of it. Just ordered the filter and gasket for less than $40 on Ebay.
Thanks!
Dont see a match on the gasket.
This model uses one different from the ST1300.

There were no ST1300 kits on eBay.
VFR800 kit had matching filter and gasket.
To be sure I went to the company website and ordered the ST kit.
https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35469706-quantum-fuel-pump-repair-kit-w-fuel-filter-tank-seal-for-honda-st1300-efi-2003-2020-replaces-16700-mcs-g02.html

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Larry if your working on ALL THESE BIKES with modern technology POST some PICTURES of ALL this work !!!!!
I could post a picture of the quarter ($.25 cents) that you had the nerve to put in my tip jar after working on your bike.
I kept it to remind me of the only person who stiffed me after working on their bike, then insulted me by tossing a quarter in the tip jar :well1:

Sir you have the WRONG person LOL !!!!! JUST LIKE YOU WORKING on all these BIKES WRONG !!!! POST SOME PICTURES !!!!!

Last edited:

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Hi klaproth, thanks for your reply on the thermistor function.
It is good to read about the ST's fuel pump and filter system PLUS the thermistor. These have previously been of interest to me but a complete mystery. I continue to learn :)
Thanks, D

Top Bottom