Fuel Filter replacement?

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I could post a picture of the quarter ($.25 cents) that you had the nerve to put in my tip jar after working on your bike.
I kept it to remind me of the only person who stiffed me after working on their bike, then insulted me by tossing a quarter in the tip jar :well1:
c
I appreciate you Igofar! You were the one to help me position my center stand handle spring correctly (with pictures) that probably very few people have ever taken off. :thumb:

Bike
ST-1300a
Hi Fellows.
Just saying.... In Canada the 4 parts are costing me ( drum roll ) .... $138.00. ( Our dollar today is just below $0.83USD )
Whata Country. BeWell M

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My understanding (FWIW - usually very little, sadly) is the Quantum or other compatible pump will work fine, so long as we remember the fuel-submersible rubber tubes.
Is this correct?
I'm thinking, a fuel pump that fits and works, IS a fuel pump that fits and works. No one (or very few folk) will ever see a Honda or a Quantum logo on a fuel pump on my bike.
$30 saved is the same as saving$30.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Just saying.... In Canada the 4 parts are costing me ( drum roll ) .... $138.00.
Don't get me started on Honda Canada's price gouging ways,,, Freddy. But fyi,,, I bought the quantum pump kit on amazon.ca for about $90.cdn, which includes the filter, pump and fuel sock, plus some hardware. I did buy the oem rubber gasket (not in the kit), but it was unusually reasonably priced at $17, taxes in and shipped. CAt'

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Don't get me started on Honda Canada's price gouging ways,,, Freddy. But fyi,,, I bought the quantum pump kit on amazon.ca for about $90.cdn, which includes the filter, pump and fuel sock, plus some hardware. I did buy the oem rubber gasket (not in the kit), but it was unusually reasonably priced at $17, taxes in and shipped. CAt'
You may want to re-visit your install to check the fuel pump hose(s) that Quantum provides (its not rated to be submerged in fuel) and I'm now up to over 12 failed Quantum pumps (hoses) since the beginning of the year.
There was just another member on here in the past few days that had a hose failure as well.
My suggestion would be to use the OEM Honda hose(s).
You can buy submersible rubber fuel hose at some auto parts places, but its normally more expensive than what Honda sells, and you have to cut it to the correct length.
:WCP1:

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
over 12 failed Quantum pumps (hoses)
Makes one wonder why a supplier, who has been around for a while,, and advertises submersible hose on their products site,, would wind up selling an inadequate simple component that will limit the success of their product. It's not like they don't know better. I am sure they don't make the hose themselves,,, so perhaps they bought the sub standard hose from a source,,, and had the kits out in the global market place before discovering the issue. Then as some firms do,,, rather than taking the high road,,, sell off the problem at discounted pricing on ebay or amazon ?? I read that when Quantum was notified of the hose concerns,,, they kind of brushed off the feedback. We are lucky that our group is aware,,, CAt'

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Makes one wonder why a supplier, who has been around for a while,, and advertises submersible hose on their products site,, would wind up selling an inadequate simple component that will limit the success of their product. It's not like they don't know better. I am sure they don't make the hose themselves,,, so perhaps they bought the sub standard hose from a source,,, and had the kits out in the global market place before discovering the issue. Then as some firms do,,, rather than taking the high road,,, sell off the problem at discounted pricing on ebay or amazon ?? I read that when Quantum was notified of the hose concerns,,, they kind of brushed off the feedback. We are lucky that our group is aware,,, CAt'
No kidding! It seems the big business's only react when their sales drop. Obviously Quantum is still selling lots.
You should definitely call or email them to voice your concern. Most of us will consider them, when and if ours fail.

Forums are amazing for making a lot of us aware of the OEM defects that many experience. What's even more maddening is that most of the companies/dealerships most times won't even acknowledge the issue.
My latest talk with a Honda motorcycle dealership mechanic was where he said I need to be using "Honda oil" for best results. :)

Bike
05 ST1300
I don’t know how I missed it, but I’ve never thought of fuel filter replacement on my ST. A case of out of sight out of mind I guess. Its got just over 100k miles and I’ve had it since 16k miles so I think it’s likely due for some maintenance. Just ordered the parts from the local Honda Stealer, $113, without the spring clamps cuz I’m not paying $9 each for 4 spring clamps that I have new or could likely use again.

Larry Igofar, a big KUDOS to you for still patiently helping folks with their ST problems. You’re amazing!

This week I removed and replaced 3 fuel pumps and fuel filters on ST1300's.
Two of the bikes were civilian models, and the other was a police motor.
All the bikes had between 40k and 60k miles on them.
One of them was guilty of running his fuel tank down to one bar too often, over heating and putting strain on his fuel pump.
The other two were serviced by their owners, doing yearly brake & clutch flushing, oil changes, air filters, and brake pads.
All three of them had one thing in common, (neglected) and that was their fuel filter had never been changed since new.
"my bike runs fine, no need to change it" etc.
I suspect this is one of the main reasons that the fuel pumps start dying a slow death.
After removing the filter(s), I filled a syringe full of fresh fuel and inserted it into one end of the filter(s), and placed a clean red shop rag over the other end, then pushed the fuel through.
Each time, what strained to come out the other end, was very nasty, and left a large black deposit as big as your palm on the shop rag.
Replacing the fuel filter is not a difficult job, and only runs about $40 dollars for the OEM filter, and $10 dollars for the packing (gasket).
It can be done in about 30 minutes with simple tools etc.
And its a whole lot cheaper than replacing the fuel pump.
So next time your thinking about servicing your bike, think about that poor, out of site, out of mind, fuel filter.
:WCP1:
Hi do have any fuel Pump assembly ( 16700-MCS-G02) the electrical connector on my 1300 are bad, power not getting to the pump. did a power test from under the cover and the pump work, does not work from top.

Attachments

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Hi do have any fuel Pump assembly ( 16700-MCS-G02) the electrical connector on my 1300 are bad, power not getting to the pump. did a power test from under the cover and the pump work, does not work from top.
Yes, PM me a contact phone number and we'll discuss it.

Top Bottom