Funny brake story

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
So I'm starting my brake service after completing a clutch slave replacement. I have brake pads in my stock- but I see that EBC's aren't recommended by the smarter folk here and that's what I got.
My town has only 1 Honda dealer, and I haven't been very impressed w/ them. But, against my better judgement, I decide to drive the 10 miles to get a set of pads.

Tell the parts weenie that I need a set of brake pads and he says rather smugly "Well, what kind of shop would we be if we didn't have motorcycle brake pads"?

Ok, says I-- "2006 ST1300, non abs, rear pads and I want OEM"

He says "OEM? I'll have to order those"

Umm... you were saying? LOL...

Bike
2000 ST1100
Same experience here. Local Honda dealer has to always order parts for me too. Only exception is my Honda GN4 oil and filter. Since GN4 is still spec'd for their new Goldwing they keep that in stock. Also it is odd that the EBC's were in stock.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I'll just use the opportunity to do some cleaning as my old pads aren't trashed yet. Hate having to wait 1-2 weeks for an order to come in. Yea, they had EBC's but no OEM.

I've found smaller dealers don't stock things like brake pads ... too many different bikes to stock for. For example, a "Honda only" dealer near me doesn't stock them, but the huge multi brand dealer does stock them.

Two weeks???

Screenshot_20200829-110904_Brave-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20200829-111354_Brave-01.jpeg

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
1 to 2 weeks. They were cheaper on RonAyers and free shipping. I'm still in PT following rotator cuff surgery so it's not like I'll be riding anytime soon anyway. It'll be another 5 weeks before I can go back to work as it is...

Best of luck on the surgery recovery!

The second screenshot is from Ron Ayers for 2008 rear pads. First is from PartZilla

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
They said that they have brake pads. They didn't say that they have the pads you want...:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

Cheers,

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
very true! lol.... how dare I hope a honda shop would have honda pads!!! oh the nerve of some people!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Bottom line is with all the different model vehicles out there, they cannot stock a decent variety of parts. With so few ST's on the roads (compared to other bikes) and the competition from online sellers, it's a wonder the dealers have ANY parts for our bikes. If they do, its a sure bet that part is used on multiple models.

Two weeks? Here in Cleveland they tell me one to two days for parts. (Unless its back ordered.)

Bike
2005 st1300
Don't believe all the negative myths you hear about EBC pads. Lots of people run them with no issues. Some even say they're better.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I believe the EBC’s I have are for the front- no heat shield between the back of the pad and plate. It’s ok. My shoulder hurts like hell so it’s telling me I need a break/brake.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Don't believe all the negative myths you hear about EBC pads. Lots of people run them with no issues.
Agreed.

Back in the '90s a few guys on the old ST forum bought the wrong version, the GG rated EBC's and complained about them not stopping as well. If you get the HH sintered version that's not an issue.

I think I've also heard claims that EBC may wear the rotors faster than OEM, but I'm not sure how to prove that given the number of variables involved. My instinct is that any HH friction rated pad is going to be similar to any other HH rated friction pad, otherwise the rating system is useless. If someone can prove to me how they can get the same stopping power with less friction/wear, I'll buy them a beer.

Back in the '90s
Those days are long gone : )

I've also heard claims that EBC may wear the rotors
I was one of those folks, coming from the "performance bike era", insisting on the use of EBC on the Hayabusa... then insisting on the use of EBC on the ST.

Long story short , I'll NOT run EBC on my ST's (thanks Larry (@Igofar ) for setting me straight). OEM only here ...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I was one of those folks, coming from the "performance bike era", insisting on the use of EBC on the Hayabusa... then insisting on the use of EBC on the ST.

Long story short , I'll NOT run EBC on my ST's (thanks Larry (@Igofar ) for setting me straight). OEM only here ...
after who knows how many years you used the EBCs, what did Larry tell you that changed your mind? Sounds like you used the EBCs on your ST, what was your first-hand experience with them?

Bike
2010 ST1300
you must've read my first post : )
I don't think any dealers want to stock a large inventory of parts. Too many of them are slow movers and don't return enough money. My feeling is pleasant surprise when they have something in stock - my expectation is it is not. I call first and usually give them my cc number to pay for the parts, and pick them up in a day or two.

Bike
2005 st1300
Those days are long gone : )

This is a strange statement. You ran them on various bikes for years and only when Larry convinced you that they are bad, you realize/accept it?? If I tell you that I run them and they work just fine, with no abnormal wear, will you switch back to EBC??

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
after who knows how many years you used the EBCs, what did Larry tell you that changed your mind? Sounds like you used the EBCs on your ST, what was your first-hand experience with them?
I probably showed him my 25 gallon oil drum with several hundred sets of EBC pads that were removed from various ST's, after only a few hundred miles, due to quality control issues, wrong shape/size, lack of the heat shield on the back of the rear set, and the fact that EBC chose not to tool up and make the correct fitment (thickness/heat shield/etc.) for the ST's.
I've seen more SMC's and Rotors damaged due to EBC pads.
I only Recommend/use OEM for this one Model bike.
The OEM Honda uses a thicker rear pad, and a thinner front pad as fitment.
EBC just used the one pad they made, which happened to be the thick rear ones. So what, you ask?
The EBC thick pads, when used in the front calipers, don't allow the pad material to back away from the rotor, causing a lot of issues for one.
The lack of the white Heat shield also heated up the brake fluid in short order etc.
As far as GG vs HH and/or sintered pads. We've tested them on police motors on a closed course, at breakneck speeds, and emergency stops, and switching riders etc.
No difference what so ever!
Can't call the bikes/riders/pads ringers, cause they were switched several times to take that out of the test ;)
Oh yeah, I have seen more rotors damaged with EBC pads that with the stock pads as well. YMMV

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This is a strange statement. You ran them on various bikes for years and only when Larry convinced you that they are bad, you realize/accept it?? If I tell you that I run them and they work just fine, with no abnormal wear, will you switch back to EBC??
You know how many folks have told me "I run them and they work just fine, with no abnormal wear" only to find out their brake system was nowhere near up to par?
You squeeze the lever, the bike stops, you think its normal.....Until I whisper your bike, and go through your brake system(s) and you find out that you can do stoppie's and raise the rear wheel off the ground with two fingers :rofl1:
No disrespect directed at you or your bike.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Fair enough Larry, sounds like the majority of your experience was with the 1300, mine is with the 1100. May be that a lot of what you've seen applies to the 1300 specifically, but not bikes in general, thus your above comment that "I only Recommend/use OEM for this one Model bike".

On my ST1100 I've used OEM, Galfer, EBC, and lately Volar, and had no bad experience with any of them.

Top Bottom