Funny brake story

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Fair enough Larry, sounds like the majority of your experience was with the 1300, mine is with the 1100. May be that a lot of what you've seen applies to the 1300 specifically, but not bikes in general, thus your above comment that "I only Recommend/use OEM for this one Model bike".

On my ST1100 I've used OEM, Galfer, EBC, and lately Volar, and had no bad experience with any of them.
You are correct, I've used many Galfer, EBC, and OEM over the years, and my 98 ST1100 didn't care what pads I used either, however, the ST1300's are very picky about brake pads and issues.
And yes, the majority of my service stuff is now ST1300 specific, due to all the parts I keep in stock, and forum members who keep rolling into my driveway at odd hours and on holidays and weekends, it helps that I have parts that I know I'll need.
And with 4 to 6 of these in my garage at any one time, it makes things easier.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Gotta say the OEM Honda's pads work great on the ST1100 too. Only pads i use and I have had 2 sets replaced in 74,000 miles. This last set will last me at least to 100K. They are smooth with no squeaking or chattering.

what did Larry tell you that changed your mind?
You ran them on various bikes for years and only when Larry convinced you that they are bad, you realize/accept it??
It's not the fact that Larry "convinced" me to switch for the sake of "switching". I had a fitment issue, and when I inquired what might be the issue, the very first question was, "what pads are you using"?

When I swapped out the EBC for OEM, the issue went away. I seriously doubt Larry is getting a kickback when folks buy OEM pads.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
just touching back on this one-- I still haven't been able (or willing) to dive back into this after my physical setback. I did, however, finally get my OEM pads delivered. The Galfer pads I had in my inventory were exactly the same as the pads I removed (2 segments) but the new OEM pads have 4 segments. I really doubt a PO replaced the pads w/ Galfers as I bought the bike w/ only about 18,000 miles on the odo.
Anyhoo, hope to be able to continue some time soon.....

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
just touching back on this one-- I still haven't been able (or willing) to dive back into this after my physical setback. I did, however, finally get my OEM pads delivered. The Galfer pads I had in my inventory were exactly the same as the pads I removed (2 segments) but the new OEM pads have 4 segments. I really doubt a PO replaced the pads w/ Galfers as I bought the bike w/ only about 18,000 miles on the odo.
Anyhoo, hope to be able to continue some time soon.....
The two segment pads you took out were more than likely EBC pads, and not Galfer's.
Most Honda shops push the EBC pads (on the parts counter near register) because they are cheaper for them to purchase, and can make more profit from them.
I've seen several Honda shops install EBC pads in their service departments, and charge folks OEM prices for them :well1:

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The two segment pads you took out were more than likely EBC pads, and not Galfer's.
Most Honda shops push the EBC pads (on the parts counter near register) because they are cheaper for them to purchase, and can make more profit from them.
I've seen several Honda shops install EBC pads in their service departments, and charge folks OEM prices for them :well1:
yes.-- I don't know why I said galfers-- EBC.... I must have been thinking of rotors when I typed that (my Kawa C14 had an issue w/ warped rotors that I fixed by replacing w/ new Galfers).
but I don't see how/why a PO would have changed pads w/ such little mileage in the first place. The new front pads are the same as the new rear set (4 segment) but w/o the heat shield and slightly thinner pad material- I haven't disassembled the old fronts to see what they look like yet but I think they are 2 segment also.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The OEM Honda rear pads are thicker (and have a heat shield) and the OEM front pads are thinner (and don't have a heat shield).
One of the main issues with EBC pads is they didn't tool up for the correct thickness of the pads, and just used their thicker (rear) set for both applications.
This would often cause the front pads to constantly ride the rotor and drag the rear brakes.
As far as your used bike having replaced pads when purchased at such low mileage etc. I find this often with folks who purchase low mileage ST1300's.
The bikes are not used or serviced much and the brake systems (SMC) go bad, and folks try to fix the "brake issues" by replacing the pads, give up, then cut bait and sell the bike.
Hope your healing up well :rx:

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
thank you my friend. The 1st 5 weeks was easy-- too easy. The closer I get to the end, the harder PT has been. Looking forward to riding/wrenching again.

You know, it's VERY possible the scumbag dealer I bought it from tried doing exactly that- they were incapable (and didn't disclose) of bleeding the system properly and the system was full of air when I got it. Glad I picked it up w/ a trailer and didn't try riding it home!
Luckily (and thanks to this forum) it was easily fixed upon getting it in MY garage!

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
rear brake pad replacement finished- I used the opportunity to test function of the SMC by manually pivoting it forward to drive out the rear piston(s) and verifying the release of pressure after. This process was super easy with the addition of my deluxe wheel spinner-- I'll gladly make it available for loan but you'll have to agree to shipping and feeding him while he is in your possession.

I'll still be cleaning/inspecting the front and flushing both front and rear circuits- I'm interested in seeing what it looks like under the boot....

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry for the sideways pic... I noticed this degradation of the right front hose above the caliper. No seepage, but would you replace? 0ABA7202-1E8B-45BA-B0B4-EADD8FB665A1.jpeg

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably.

That cable tie looks as though its pre-decessor might be the culprit, and is about to do the same thing to the outer sheath. Is that thinner cable the ABS sensor wire ? If so, it should be be mounted in 3 rubber shrouds, held in place by 3 clips - 1 clip attached to the delay valve mount, up near the mudguard mount bolt, and 2 clips are attached to two bolts on the right caliper bracket.
I have just looked at my brake hose. The outside of that hose - underneath that protective sheath - has small ribs on it. It looks as though the outer of that hose isn't there anymore.

Can I change my 'probably' to a 'definitely' ? And check out the others too. That looks to be a good catch !! Buy a lottery ticket.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The outer is a smooth (protective?) cover over the hose to the upper banjo bolt, not the hose itself— I can rotate it by hand, the left side is the same. The cable under the zip tie is for one of my fog lamps.
image.jpg

Top Bottom