gear indicator

I'm looking to add a muuuch needed gear indicator. Any one have any good advice of product and installation? Thx in advance.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Try a search for GPI (gear position indicator) and GIpro (brand). At least a couple of members here have the GIpro.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I'm looking to add a muuuch needed gear indicator. Any one have any good advice of product and installation? Thx in advance.
ST Gui beat me...yes, Gipro offers a gear position indicator that a number of members have used.
Let us know what you buy.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I put a GiPro on my ST, and it was a straightforward plug and play operation. The hardest part was digging the connector out of the wiring harness on the right side of the bike. Since you didn't post what bike you have, you should verify that it is going to be a simple plug-in installation. To mount it I cut a small strip (about 5/8" x 2") of stainless steel, bent it about 1/3 of the way from one end about 20 to 30 degrees and drilled a 6mm hole in the other end. The top bolt of my right handbrake reservoir was removed, the strip placed on the bolt and then I replaced the bolt and tightened it up. The top of the strip provides a small platform (width is equal to that of the GiPro, the top is about as long as the GiPro's long dimension) for the GiPro. Right now I forget if I used double faced tape or velcro.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I've never felt the need for a gear indicator. Would you mind sharing why you feel one is needed?

I have a number of bikes which makes it tough to know for certain I'm in top gear (they all sound different). This makes me frequently try to shift again to verify I'm in 6th (or 5th on some bikes) but I don't mind the testing. All other gears I just shift down when I'm lugging or up when it's screaming.

Is the gear indicator just to avoid having to test if you are already in 6th?

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I recall reading a post from another forum member several years ago in which he wrote:

"If the tachometer needle is higher than the speedometer needle [referring to 'clock position' of the two needles], you are in 4th gear or lower; if the speedometer needle is higher than the tachometer needle, you are in 5th gear."

I thought that was a brilliant observation, and it eliminated my need / desire for a gear indicator. I'm never concerned about what gear I am in when I am in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd - I only briefly pass through those gears. The uncertainty I had was about whether I was in 4th or 5th, and the comment above completely eliminated any confusion I had about whether I was in 4th or 5th.

I'm not sure who wrote that comment, but it was one of the most useful comments I ever found here in the forum.

Michael

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have the HealTech GIpro. It is okay and easy to fit but it is not perfect like the factory ones (FJR1300 or Bandits). If the clutch is held it doesn't register the gear. Can be a nuisance at traffic lights, roundabouts etc. In these situations I still count down through the gears. This problem is something inherent in the ST system that apparently can't be overcome, I understand.
So. An essential fitment? No, but still a bit of fun to have. I give it 7/10.
D

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
never felt the need for a gear indicator. Would you mind sharing why you feel one is needed?
I'm in the same camp. I sometimes don't remember if I'm in 5th and try to change into 6th... but other than me feeling stupid, it's no problem.

In excess of 10k miles on the 13 now, and I still don't know what 70mph in 5th sounds like.

"If the tachometer needle is higher than the speedometer needle [referring to 'clock position' of the two needles], you are in 4th gear or lower; if the speedometer needle is higher than the tachometer needle, you are in 5th gear."
This is simply genius, I'm not sure that it'll hold for all riding scenarios, but I'll certainly be experimenting. For the 70mph "am I in 5th?" scenario, I can already see it works wonders and I'm no where near the bike.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I don't know how long you've had your bike, but try giving it some time before installing a gear indicator. I know when I first got my ST1300 I really missed the gear indicator that my previous bike had, but after some some time, I don't feel like it's really necessary.

Sometimes, when I'm approaching a corner that I want to take in 3rd gear (for example), I'll mentally count up or down as I shift just to be sure, but even that's not really necessary.

OP
OP
Seventy8
I've never felt the need for a gear indicator. Would you mind sharing why you feel one is needed?

I have a number of bikes which makes it tough to know for certain I'm in top gear (they all sound different). This makes me frequently try to shift again to verify I'm in 6th (or 5th on some bikes) but I don't mind the testing. All other gears I just shift up when I'm lugging or down when it's screaming.

Is the gear indicator just to avoid having to test if you are already in 6th?
Sometimes it’s good to be mentally lazy relying on technology, when running thru gears.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I recall reading a post from another forum member several years ago in which he wrote:

I'm not sure who wrote that comment, but it was one of the most useful comments I ever found here in the forum.

Michael
I wrote something along those lines for my ol' 1100 Virago. The chrome pods of tach and speedo were side by side and you could tell gears by the comparison.

I wouldn't mind having an actual indicator on the ST. I don;t like the normal ones used here as they won;t tell you the gear when the clutch is pulled iin. Sometimes after a long hill coasting down or coming into a corner I momentarily forget what gear I'm in. I can momentarily let the clutch and find out... but it would be a nice to see a display.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but it would be a nice to see a display.
Yes! We had them on our V65 Sabres and there was one on the Nighthawk 650 (another bike I'd like to have today along with my V65).

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Oh, I didn't know that it's swallowing the gear on pressing the clutch. I don't think it is a GIpro problem, but the ST's. Same "problem" is on a Super Ten. although it has a factory one built in.
On my Bandit 1250S I have the GIpro and it works like clockwork. The connector was there and I don't know why they haven't put a factory one might as well as on the GSF (Bandit).
Yeah, the disappearance of a gear while holding the clutch is sure a nuisance. Just pointless.
Actually, on second thought, I would give the GIpro on the ST no more than 6/10. It is costly for what it is but on balance I'm happy enough with it and would say "yes" go ahead and fit one if you are inclined that way.

Build quality/reliability is not at question. Its deficiencies lie in the unhappy relationship it has with the ST's electronics.

D

OP
OP
Seventy8
Actually, on second thought, I would give the GIpro on the ST no more than 6/10. It is costly for what it is but on balance I'm happy enough with it and would say "yes" go ahead and fit one if you are inclined that way.

Build quality/reliability is not at question. Its deficiencies lie in the unhappy relationship it has with the ST's electronics.

D
Thanks

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Duporth said:
I might give it a 7 and if it were a little cheaper probably an 8. I don't remember what the V65S and 650 Nighthawk's GPI displays did when the clutch was pulled in. I think it held the prior gear until the next one was selected. If the GIpro played nice with the ST it'd be a 9.5 for me even at the current price.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Yesterday I was cruising down the highway on cruise and happened to notice that I was in 4th gear. One cool thing about the Tracer is that cruise can be disengaged by rolling the throttle forward so I can upshift.

Bike
ST1100AY/EZS sidecar

D
My experience has been that the GiPro worked fine for a number of years then suddenly I had severe misfiring/stalling on tickoever problems.
Went through the ignition wiring/components replacing some parts but no difference.
After six months, out of desperation more than anything, I decided to remove the rear wheel sensor and hey presto all problems resolved instantly.
Have now removed all the wiring from the bike and don't intend to replace.

Top Bottom