gear indicator

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
I recall reading a post from another forum member several years ago in which he wrote:

"If the tachometer needle is higher than the speedometer needle [referring to 'clock position' of the two needles], you are in 4th gear or lower; if the speedometer needle is higher than the tachometer needle, you are in 5th gear."

I thought that was a brilliant observation, and it eliminated my need / desire for a gear indicator. I'm never concerned about what gear I am in when I am in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd - I only briefly pass through those gears. The uncertainty I had was about whether I was in 4th or 5th, and the comment above completely eliminated any confusion I had about whether I was in 4th or 5th.

I'm not sure who wrote that comment, but it was one of the most useful comments I ever found here in the forum.

Michael
Great observation! Great tip! Thanks!
Morguns1cam

Bike
ST1100AY/EZS sidecar
What rear wheel sensor has to do with Gipro?
Due to the ST1100 having a cable driven speedometer a wheel sensor is required in order to give a wheel speed signal which is compared to the crankshaft speed signal to indicate which gear you are in.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
I don't remember what the V65S and 650 Nighthawk's GPI displays did when the clutch was pulled in. I think it held the prior gear until the next one was selected. If the GIpro played nice with the ST it'd be a 9.5 for me even at the current price.
The gear indicators on the 1980's Hondas sensed the up/down movement of the shift letter, so they show the gear that it is in without having to coordinate engine rpm with speed. It will show the gear even if you have not moved, maybe even if you have not started the bike.

I have never had an issue on my V45 Sabre with the gear indicator. I did have to have wires in the display unit fixed due to the instrument panel mount fatiguing and work hardening the wires.

Neal

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Sounds to me as confusing as the problem Abbott and Costelo had at the ball park. In this case it's "Who's on 5th". I know there's only 4 bases in baseball. As they say today. "Whatever" but isn't he the catcher.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
A lot of good info here. I've been pondering whether not I wanted to add a GI to my ST. Today I was working on my 67 T100 Daytona and realized it had a gear indicator mounted where it is only useful or safe to use when stopped; on the top of the transmission! Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. I think I'll stick with the tach vs. speedo needle method for now. That may change when I install my ST's cruise control this winter (still gathering the kit for the install).

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Are you going with the Rostra, or some other?
I'm going with Rostra. I considered the one from New Zealand but figured I could save money for fuel and scrounge up the parts. So far I'm about $300 into the project vs. almost a thou for the Kiwi unit. I'll use my sidecar rig during the winter while upgrading the ST and will be working with a buddy of mine who is making the same installation.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Let me know if you need any wiring help.
Thanks, Larry, I'll keep you in mind. I've downloaded all of the info I've been able to find in the forums. As the start time approaches, I'll be reviewing all of the materials again. Planning, planning, planning and attention to detail was pounded into me in the course of many projects while I worked as a systems analyst as well as a willingness to ask for help if I got stuck.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
A lot of good info here. I've been pondering whether not I wanted to add a GI to my ST. Today I was working on my 67 T100 Daytona and realized it had a gear indicator mounted where it is only useful or safe to use when stopped; on the top of the transmission! Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. I think I'll stick with the tach vs. speedo needle method for now. That may change when I install my ST's cruise control this winter (still gathering the kit for the install).
Hey @Ol'Tomcat Here's a link to the thread I started about adding a gear indicator to my 2012 ST1300. I'm extremely satisfied with it since the install. Yeah it goes blank with the clutch pulled in, but so does virtually every aftermarket unit I've seen.

This is what I bought on Amazon GFYSHIP for Honda GL1800 Goldwing F6B 2013-2017, ST1300 Pan European 08-15, Motorcycle LCD 1-6Level Gear Indicator Digital Meter (Red)

I installed mine inside the instrument shell which did require extending the cable and finding three crimp on terminals and weather seals - which my local Honda car dealer's service had on hand; ~ $3.00. You don't have to be as obsessive as I tend to be about such work.

My son and I will be passing through your neighborhood this weekend on our way to Olympic NP. I'll roll down the window and wave. :hat4:

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Hey @Ol'Tomcat Here's a link to the thread I started about adding a gear indicator to my 2012 ST1300. I'm extremely satisfied with it since the install. Yeah it goes blank with the clutch pulled in, but so does virtually every aftermarket unit I've seen.

This is what I bought on Amazon GFYSHIP for Honda GL1800 Goldwing F6B 2013-2017, ST1300 Pan European 08-15, Motorcycle LCD 1-6Level Gear Indicator Digital Meter (Red)

I installed mine inside the instrument shell which did require extending the cable and finding three crimp on terminals and weather seals - which my local Honda car dealer's service had on hand; ~ $3.00. You don't have to be as obsessive as I tend to be about such work.

My son and I will be passing through your neighborhood this weekend on our way to Olympic NP. I'll roll down the window and wave. :hat4:
I just took a look, nice clean work! That is the kind of installation I will do if I decide to do it at all. I don't much care for installations that look like an afterthought. Too many years of British bikes where handlebar switches looked like they were added, long after the engineering was done, by apprentices the morning after a three-day bender. I still ride an old Triumph occasionally though, love the purr they make when in fine tune. I'll be bookmarking your thread so I can find it again.

I recall reading a post from another forum member several years ago in which he wrote:

"If the tachometer needle is higher than the speedometer needle [referring to 'clock position' of the two needles], you are in 4th gear or lower; if the speedometer needle is higher than the tachometer needle, you are in 5th gear."

I thought that was a brilliant observation, and it eliminated my need / desire for a gear indicator. I'm never concerned about what gear I am in when I am in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd - I only briefly pass through those gears. The uncertainty I had was about whether I was in 4th or 5th, and the comment above completely eliminated any confusion I had about whether I was in 4th or 5th.

I'm not sure who wrote that comment, but it was one of the most useful comments I ever found here in the forum.

Michael

I love this forum’s search of old articles. I came from a 2016 wing and it has the OD simply stating you are in fifth. I do Not want a gear indicator! This tach/speedo observation was simple and I admit, I never thought of it. I will add there is a couple of videos on youBloob where someone imbedded a gear indicator under the right side neutral, FI, oil, ABS tinted plexi and naturally there is 0 - ZERO INFORMATION ABOUT IT, I do not want one but my inquiring mind WANTS to know how this install was done. I won’t loose any sleep over it though.F7670A4B-2539-451B-9E76-C8DA913103F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I love this forum’s search of old articles. I came from a 2016 wing and it has the OD simply stating you are in fifth. I do Not want a gear indicator! This tach/speedo observation was simple and I admit, I never thought of it. I will add there is a couple of videos on youBloob where someone imbedded a gear indicator under the right side neutral, FI, oil, ABS tinted plexi and naturally there is 0 - ZERO INFORMATION ABOUT IT, I do not want one but my inquiring mind WANTS to know how this install was done. I won’t loose any sleep over it though.F7670A4B-2539-451B-9E76-C8DA913103F4.jpeg
Jump to about 34:30 you will see there is nothing in that space. Buy the indicator, probably need a extension cable, and take apart the cluster.

Jump to about 34:30 you will see there is nothing in that space. Buy the indicator, probably need a extension cable, and take apart the cluster.

Wow! that was quite the video and I like the color difference. Being a pretty good soldering fool I just might tackle this! Thanks for sharing.

I've never felt the need for a gear indicator. Would you mind sharing why you feel one is needed?

I have a number of bikes which makes it tough to know for certain I'm in top gear (they all sound different). This makes me frequently try to shift again to verify I'm in 6th (or 5th on some bikes) but I don't mind the testing. All other gears I just shift down when I'm lugging or up when it's screaming.

Is the gear indicator just to avoid having to test if you are already in 6th?
We made it to 6 posts! Hooray!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wow! that was quite the video and I like the color difference. Being a pretty good soldering fool I just might tackle this! Thanks for sharing.
Look at bluegages.com. You can pay them to do it.

Some of the guys have opened up their instrument panel, carefully cut a hole in the face and installed the gear position indicator there. I made a small stainless steel mounting plate (think the plate that Oxford heated grips provides) that fastened to the hand brake mounting screws and used velcro to hold my GPI to the plate.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have a question: On bikes that have transmissions that allow the shifter to move up even when in fifth, how do you prevent the gear indicator from indicating sixth gear if you inadvertently raise it?

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have a question: On bikes that have transmissions that allow the shifter to move up even when in fifth, how do you prevent the gear indicator from indicating sixth gear if you inadvertently raise it?
I don’t know all the details, but it’s not mechanical, it’s running through the ECU. Using information from the ignition timing and RPMs.

Top Bottom