gear indicator

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a question: On bikes that have transmissions that allow the shifter to move up even when in fifth, how do you prevent the gear indicator from indicating sixth gear if you inadvertently raise it?
For the 2008+ ST1300 models the initial setup after install requires running through the gears with the bike on the centerstand with the engine running and rear wheelturning. It sequentually matches the output of the pulse generator and the speedometer to assign a gear number to the display. Each pair represents a different gear. When at a stop, or idling in gear with the clutch disengaged even while rolling, my GPI displays a dash, '-', until you're rolling again.

I believe if you're silly enough to start the gear assignment in 2nd rather than 1st, it should be possible to display 1st while in 2nd gear and so on.

Moving the gearshift lever has no effect on what it displays. Since lifting the lever while in 5th gear (ST1100) will not change the pulse to speedo ratio, it will never misassign 6th gear. The lever on the 1300 however doesn't even move if attempting an upshift from 5th. I'm pretty sure the pre-2008 1300s behave the same, but IIRC you need to tap into the speedo at the output of the transmission rather than entirely through the diagnostic port like on my 2012 1300.

Since the 1100 has a mechanical speedometer drive, there's no way to match road speed to rpm without also adding some sort of sensor like the cruise controls do. Likely a magnet on the rear wheel with a Hall effect sensor or less likely, a reed switch. At least I'm pretty sure that's what you'd need to do.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I was thinking about my 1100, and the type of gear indicator that uses a magnet and two reed switches.

My Nighthawk 750's shifter will not move down in first nor up in fifth, unlike my 1100 which does move.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a question: On bikes that have transmissions that allow the shifter to move up even when in fifth, how do you prevent the gear indicator from indicating sixth gear if you inadvertently raise it?
The ST's GPI (which is an aftermarket gadget) workes off the crank sensor and rpms. It has nothing to do with the mechanical shifter.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I always ride with the bike in its power zone, just over 3000 rpm for both bikes. On the rare occasions when I have rapidly accelerate to avoid something, I cannot spare the second or two fumbling for a lower gear , looking for the gear indicator readout, or the several seconds opening the throttle (say in fifth gear at 2500 rpm) waiting helplessly for the torque to come on. I have avoided all manner of introductions to members of the Dipstick family doing this. Brakes aren't your only friend by any means.
Become familiar with your tach and speedo reading combinations and the gear indicator becomes unnecessary. Not saying don't bother installing the indicator at all, customizing your bike to your own comfort is a cool thing. If you really want an indicator, by all means install one.
When it comes to bikes, awareness is your friend....'familiarity breeds less contempt'.

Reactions: ATA
Bike
2007 ST1300
I recall reading a post from another forum member several years ago in which he wrote:

"If the tachometer needle is higher than the speedometer needle [referring to 'clock position' of the two needles], you are in 4th gear or lower; if the speedometer needle is higher than the tachometer needle, you are in 5th gear."

Michael
Yes. Angle between tach and speedo definitively tells you your gear.

Third Gear = tach and speedo needle point same direction
Fourth Gear = Tiny “sliver of pie” between tach and speedo needle angle
Fifth Gear = Generous “slice of pie”

Top Bottom