George's Spring Trip 2010

Oh Congratulations Danny! I hope we are all invited to the wedding- and the reception. Don't let the language/cultural/previous marriage thing get in the way of bliss!

With a 'Must Appear' summons for Hot Sulfur Springs, CO, on July 20, I figure might as well make the most of it. Here's my planned route from Mexican Hat, UT after PuttSTOC.

The following weekend is a Catt Family reunion in Southern Indiana so I'll continue on east. The 20th is Tuesday so I have the rest of the week to get east. All 2-lane, all the time(A2L-ATT). :D

I'll be heading to Montana after PuttSTOC. Might as well go that way. It was a good route last year. Mind if I tag along?

Danny, thanks for the great story. Riding with others is a trick, doing so day after day is an achievement all in it's own. Funny thing about ST Riders, we're essentially loners (I'm exception, I ride 2 up a lot. Love that wife of mine!) anyway, before I digress further; we are always looking for someone to ride with. We're a complicated bunch and probably just a bit off our rockers (collectively).

When I was younger and took my '79 CB750F off road, I use to stand on the pegs for extra stability. I haven't had an opportunity to do so with my ST much, Vicki isn't quite as adventurous as I am. I use to live on a gravel road, I've ridden on loose surfaces on and off my entire life. Street bikes are not well suited for it, but they can do it. Like a lot of things, it mostly takes getting use to and you can only do that with time and practice. I suspect that in your case, your difficulties had more to do with exhaustion and attitude at that point (so I gather from your words).

Larry, I love your signature line. I only wish I could say the same. :hat1:

So. No choice of camping spots (THIS FAR and no farther) and the black demon waiting. I'd say there was some bad juju. The offer of marriage wasn't from a Creole woman, was it?????

I mean, there is bad juju and good juju. Like, guess what I found today???
The Connie takes the same oil filter as the ST1100 did, so I have a couple (sorry Jack, I'd have given them to you, otherwise). That's some good juju.

Scorpions and Creoles and High Sides are some bad juju!

Next time you get stuck in a tight turnaround on a loose, sloping surface, try removing the seat. The extra reach to the ground helps a lot with confidence.

Great suggestion, and as the thought crossed my mind it also occured to me that to get the seat off, all the gear strapped to it would need to come off too. At that point we just wanted to get out of there before dark. I was in no mood to do things slow and methodical. Nor was I in the mood to fasten the seat up on top of the pack somehow.

The seat off option helped me out of deep sand in Baja, MX five years ago though. I loaded ALL my gear into a local guys car and he hauled it out and met me on pavement. That option didn't occure to me this time around. I also wanted to put distance between us and the boat guys so soon as we got turned around we let them get by us and they were history.
Good riddens I thought.

So. No choice of camping spots (THIS FAR and no farther) and the black demon waiting. I'd say there was some bad juju. The offer of marriage wasn't from a Creole woman, was it?????

I mean, there is bad juju and good juju. Like, guess what I found today???
The Connie takes the same oil filter as the ST1100 did, so I have a couple (sorry Jack, I'd have given them to you, otherwise). That's some good juju.

Scorpions and Creoles and High Sides are some bad juju!

...on my hike up the hill and into the goat pasture where we were to camp I was thinking, "this is no way to end a day" "What's become of my off road abilities" "how am I going to get this hippo out of here" "can I ever ride gravel again after this" "What's for dinner"?

We had a light breakfast that morning and no lunch. We were not carrying food at that point and we were low on water so not looking good for dinner or breakfast tomorrow unless we get out of there.

George volunteered to ride out to the first place that might have food and/or water which again, to me was heroic given the nature of the road and his handful of Spanish words.

He returned with water and three bags of chip type simulated food substance and produced some bread which was in his pack for about three days. So I feel like we may live through the night. :)

George knew I was not my old self and just kept repeating "it's just a ride" as he sang some of the karaoke songs from the Placencia beach party. It was comforting as I get a crash course in stealth camping ala George. All this to an audience of interested goats and a group of Howler Monkeys grunting harmony from a grove not to far to the Northwest.

The ground was scrubby and loaded with droppings from the animals making it difficult to find a good spot for the tents but we get settled, drink some water gnaw on some bread, top it off with the chips and try to get some much needed rest.

Just before the light of dawn, nature calls as it usually does so I grabbed the headlamp and TP and venture out looking for a good palm tree to lean up against so I can do a download. Didn't want to ruin anyones morning so I made sure I put some distance between me and the camp. After a "download complete" I shined the light to check the status of the product and was startled by a three inch black scorpion complete with claws wandering aimlessly right through the poo. Again, Am I delirious? Did I just eject all my evil spirits in the form of this little devil. I am exclaiming loudly with expletives all sorts of surprise, horror, and amazement at the sight. I don't know how I didn't wake anyone.
I wanted a picture of this guy but calculated there are two chances of finding him by the time I return with the camera. Fat and slim. I didn't get back in time. He was hiding in any number of places by that time. A little creeped out with the idea of what just happened, I checked all around my legs and feet to make sure he wasn't hitching a ride for a little bite later. "How common are these in this field" I thought. :(

This is no way to start a day !

He looked something like this:
http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/9/93/Black_scorpion.jpg

Last edited:
Danny, take comfort in the fact you had to search the web for that pic instead'a thumbing thru yur camera memory. :rofl1:

Folks, I'm working on the last week of pics to add some more commentary, then I'm gonna go back and do a "High Lights" album.

Bought a new camera today so the spots will no longer appear in all my shots. :D

Danny, George and Steve, I've followed along here from the start. I am bubbling with appreciation for your determination and lust for life. It has been wonderful to see the daily updates as you moved about. Thanks for sharing! :bow1:

As I followed along I smiled, laughed out loud, shook my head and I think I even talked to myself once or twice. I think I have viewed each and every picture that has been linked. All good stuff!

Danny, your last story/post here really got me giggling. I thought things like that only happen to me. These memories will stick with each of you for a lifetime, I'm sure. I know there's been mention of assembling a novel of your trip. I would like to add to the novel in my own silly way by designing the cover and including the title. I'm sure it will spend a minimum of 38 weeks on the New York Times best seller list. :D

Thanks!

My Tres Amigo Tribute!
The names have changed to protect the innocent.

Journey%20to%20Belize.jpg

I thought things like that only happen to me. These memories will stick with each of you for a lifetime, I'm sure. I know there's been mention of assembling a novel of your trip. I would like to add to the novel in my own silly way by designing the cover and including the title. I'm sure it will spend a minimum of 38 weeks on the New York Times best seller list. :D

Thanks!

My Tres Amigo Tribute!
The names have changed to protect the innocent.

Journey%20to%20Belize.jpg

I have to be careful of my wording lately. Been getting bleeped from the management for my colourful descriptions of events and dialog.
Your book cover should generate quite a bit of interest among degenerates.:chrfl1:
I see you have no lack of imagination. Keep up the good work. I envision a collaboration here. A sort of graphic non fiction novel. A truth encrusted turd of sorts.:D

Quote by Digamo
A sort of graphic non fiction novel. A truth encrusted turd of sorts.

Does any body else remember the Steve Martin quote??? "Yeah, Man. Goin over to the Turd museum.

Anyway, it's all got me giggling.

So. Any vodoo with the marriage proposal?

So. Any voodoo with the marriage proposal?

Marriage proposal ...Hmmm...

Well, lets see what led up to that. The voodoo in that must have been the scorpion. It was placed there along with the shouting howler monkeys to motivate the hasty retreat from the goat pasture:
steves%20pics%20012.JPG

so I could meet this young lady.
Flores%20014.JPG

...of course it's a package deal:
steves%20pics%20026.JPG

After a restless night of cat naps while stewing in my own sweat residue from the day before, the morning brought a hopeful light. A light I did not hesitate to use to see if there are any more scorpions around our camp area while we packed up for the ride out. I took my time and used "methodical packing" as a way of stalling the inevitable. I got some gorilla tape around what was left of my right mirror housing and tip over wing pieces. The pannier door somehow survived getting cracked probably by being so tightly packed. It now has a story telling deep gouge design on the painted surface and a busted reflector.

I did not feel good about getting back in the saddle but made little outward sign of my discomfort for I knew it had to be done. I was somewhat more composed than the day before and at least as motivated. I knew we were at least six clicks from the bad road that led to El Bethel, and I knew I was going to be fine if I could just get there. We might even get some eggs cooked for us there. Further motivation to mount up.

Still nervous and weak, I was out on the stony road again and waiting for George and Steve to come out of the pasteur. Steve, as it turned out, was stalling too, as he got himself hung up on a palm stump which took all the weight off his rear wheel stranding him there until we got the picture and pushed him off. (pic somewhere)

Steve continued to lead and did a great job. The only glitch on the remainder of the stony road was my right pannier fell off and was being dragged by the one bungee I had secured to it's handle. The previous days high side drop apparently pulled the latching mechanism to a shape that was unable to keep the pannier in place. George had the right tool out in no time and bent the latch back to a likeness of it's original shape.

It's not often we get to meet our heroes, less often to actually ride with them.
Even more rare is to have him fix my bike. Thanks George.

Amazing what a new day can bring. I was so relieved to get back to a bad road that I knew I could handle even if it was two hours coming in on it. First we needed to deal with curious locals:
steves%20pics%20016.JPG

We had a ball with these kids and there are plenty more pics of our antics with them. Toys were handed out and as I found out, you may want to be careful when you take out a whole bunch of felt tip pens at one time. Apparently, they have a creative streak and need the tools to express that creativity, even if it means swarming me to get their hands on one or more of them. Calm was restored when I ran out of pens. :):cool:

We had a great breakfast of "whatever you got" scrambled eggs and coffee at the blue building right behind George.
The place was odd in that there were several pool tables and a few video games right there. Everything had dust since there was no paved road anywhere near there.

It was at this point we were approached by another boat operator who said he could get us across "no problem" right from town. This was the first place we checked out on the way in and we didn't like it then but never did see the details of the situation. Having been pretty much convinced we were to ride the bikes out same way we came in, we thought for kicks and giggles we would take a walk over to see what he had in store for us. I stayed with the bikes while Steve and George walked over to the river for an evaluation. Well, they both came back shaking their heads and George saying "No way, Jose".
Again, we'd have a steep slope to get down to the launch area and again the boats looked to small and unstable even if we could get the bikes up the first board to the prow and down the other.
steves%20pics%20014.JPG

"No problem" and a shrug was all that ended that discussion.

Somehow the two hours it took us to get into that town on that stone encrusted clay washboard and pothole road was shortened to about an hour and fifteen minutes with Steve as our rabbit. The misery we thought we endured going in was, at least to me, a pleasant massage compared to the road to Tecnica beyond the goat pasture. I felt a little like I was in the Paris to Dakar race.
steves%20pics%20020.JPG

As soon as we were up on pavement, we stopped at the first place that had refreshments. That's where the young lady and her father were waiting to seal the deal of marriage. We got some pictures then I saddled up and was rolling out Flores bound before George and Steve were ready.

They'll catch up.....:D:D:p::p: another bullet dodged.:rocket1:
and they said Mexico was dangerous, SHESH!

Last edited:
Danny, so the media centers their coverage of the danger of traveling in Mexico to kidnappings, murder, extortion, fraud and corrupt police only to miss the real danger? And that real danger would be unwed nubile young ladies with extended family and proposals of marriage (oh, I almost forgot the scorpion)?

Sure glad I read this thread, I might of visited Mexico and been blind sided by offers of marriage. Are married guys traveling in packs safe from this sort of molestation?

Danny, so the media centers their coverage of the danger of traveling in Mexico to kidnappings, murder, extortion, fraud and corrupt police only to miss the real danger? And that real danger would be unwed nubile young ladies with extended family and proposals of marriage (oh, I almost forgot the scorpion)?

Sure glad I read this thread, I might of visited Mexico and been blind sided by offers of marriage. Are married guys traveling in packs safe from this sort of molestation?

It's true, Dana, the real dangers south of the border in my experience, are the less publicized ones.

As far as dangers to bands of roving married men, well, ....
You have all the data points necessary to meet this young lady.
Why not take the ride and see for yourself?:D

Danny was the only unmarried member of the Tres Compadres, Steve and I were safe from proposal. I recall wearing a wedding ring while in the PI many years ago just to ward off such shenanigans. Worked a charm. :rofl1:

Oh man, what a story. I know there is a book in there! Maybe the three of you could get snowed in a secluded cabin with word processor and nothing to eat but beans and rice (for ambiance) for about a month to get the outline!

You suppose I could mail them a scorpion every week or so to keep their creative juices flowing???

BTW, that doesn't bear any resemblance to the Creole Voodoo woman I had envisioned.

Top Bottom