Gettin' high in Wyoming

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
OK, not what you thought....

I'm planning a trip out west this summer from Indy over to Colorado, Wyoming and Montana then on up to Banff Canada on my '93 ST1100. I'm hoping to ride Beartooth Highway where the elevation gets up to just under 11,000 feet. Wanted to get feedback from anyone who may have done this on an ST1100. Any issues with carbs or bike performance up that high? I have had mine up Mt. Mitchell around 6,000 and noticed a little drop off in power, but nothing too serious. This is going to be a 3 week trip so I'll have the bike loaded down pretty good.

Also, we're basing out of a buddy's house in Ft. Collins CO. The trip is mid August because that's the best chance of the roads in Wyoming and Colorado being open. It is just over 1,100 miles. Hate to admit it but I'm considering trailering from Indy just because that looks like a really boring ride through Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Kansas, it's gonna be hot and humid (and probably stormy...) without cruise control, and I already have a good tow vehicle at my disposal. It would also deliver me to Colorado much less fatigued before we get into the fun stuff. Thoughts?

Thanks all!!

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Nothing wrong with going on a trailer and you will be in better shape if you do . Those hot days can drain you . Colorado is an amazing place to ride and it is a great state to see lots of different things . Enjoy your trip and have fun riding your ride .

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I trailer my bikes to most events. I can relax with my snacks and drinks, and not be worn out when I arrive. After three days of riding all day, it's too tiring and tedious to ride alone for several hours. Plus, I don't have to pack as sparsely because I can take what I want in the car, like brownie fixings.

DOJH4182.JPG

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I did that trip a few years ago. Been to Wyoming, Montana and into Canada half a dozen times. Eastern Wyoming is pretty flat. Miles and miles of high plains. SAame with central Montana. The ST will do fine over Bear Tooth and everywhere else. I really couldn't tell much difference in how it ran. If you've never ridden Glacier N'atl park, I would highly recommend that you swing over it. There are two things to consider when riding in Wyoming and Montana, just about any time, but in summer, because it can get warm, the thunderstorms can get BIG. They can produce a lot of rain and wind and sometimes hail. Wind is something that Wyoming is famous for. You can absolutely count on it blowing, almost almost always from west to east. I've ridden for hours at a ten to fifteen degree lean into the wind for hours and hours. It gets super tiring. The first week of August is the Sturgis so there is a lot of bike traffic. Just plan on stopping waving. Watch for critters. They grow lots of them and they are big.0820190936.jpg0819191014_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I usually prefer to ride, because I enjoy eating up miles on a motorcycle. However ....

I towed my ST1300 once to a buddy's house in Montana which we used as a base, and unloaded the ST and then my wife and I toured Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming. Saved us 6 days (3 out and back) of wear and tear on the bike, bike tires and us! It was a nice actually. Also towed a Triumph Bonneville once to Utah and wife and I toured the Natl parks in Utah and Az.

You don't get a lot of mileage out of a MC tire anyway, why waste it on thousands of miles of slab, unless like me you just enjoy racking up miles on a motorcycle? There isn't a whole lot between Ohio (or Indy) and Montana lol.

Wife and I have done Bear Tooth but the ST had FI so no altitude fueling issues.

I would say don't miss Glacier (Going to the Sun Road) but I think that's one of the Natl Parks that's now requiring a permit to get in.

Glacier

while in Colorado you can hit Pikes Peak at 14,115 ft and Mt Evans 14,265 ft and RMNP (again the NP are requiring permits these days)

I need to do Banff Natl Park and Cabot Trail before I'm too old...and I'm close to too old now.

Also in the Rockies a hail storm can pop up at any time, just be aware. This was on our last trip to Colorado. It was like 90 down in Denver and hailiing up on a mountain pass

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
If you're going to do Glacier I would recommend going into the park and then taking their tour bus {canvas top rolled back when nice} on the actual going to the sun part....then you can look at all that gorgeous scenery and not have to worry about the traffic ....google images of both the tour buses and the road....have fun remember the Rockies don't end at the US/Canadian border....icefields parkway is gorgeous....ff

Bike
R1200rt
need permits for Rocky Mountain NP/ GlacierNP/ Mt Evans. The only way to do glacier with out a pass is get tthere befor 6am or after 3pm

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I get more fatigued in a car than I do on the bike... I hate not being able to move around and just sit in one spot.
That's funny. I feel like the bike locks me into one position. I also find that I need to make rest stops and walk around more when on the bike than in the car.

But riding alone is the biggest issue I have with long rides. If I had someone either riding with me or on another bike, it would be much more enjoyable.

Saved us 6 days (3 out and back) of wear and tear on the bike, bike tires and us!

You don't get a lot of mileage out of a MC tire anyway, why waste it on thousands of miles of slab, unless like me you just enjoy racking up miles on a motorcycle?
Exactly. I don't want to have to replace tires because the centers are worn flat.

I feel like I'm wasting not just tires, but the whole bike riding on the interstate.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's funny. I feel like the bike locks me into one position. I also find that I need to make rest stops and walk around more when on the bike than in the car.

But riding alone is the biggest issue I have with long rides. If I had someone either riding with me or on another bike, it would be much more enjoyable.

Exactly. I don't want to have to replace tires because the centers are worn flat.

I feel like I'm wasting not just tires, but the whole bike riding on the interstate.
I like traveling alone... I still have several people/voices that go with me so I never feel alone.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
When I had my ST1100 I did the Beartooth a couple of times without any issues other than reduced power. I rode several passes in Colorado over 11K feet without problems.

OP
OP
IndyRob

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. Guess I need to get working on those permits.... and I DO think I'll trailer it out to Colorado in my nice comfy air conditioned F150. :cool:

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not one for trailering but that's just me. I could see it if you're riding a SuperMoto or something but an ST? Got to do what works for you.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I must admit to being mystified at the idea of trailering a bike to go bike riding. And if you hate interstate riding across Kansas -- get off the interstate. There's a lot of stuff in what coast dwellers refer to as "fly over country." As Pirsig observed, there's an importance to a place being "empty". A cup is useful because of the empty space. Get Zen.

Top Bottom