Givi Airflow Conversion

Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Hi All,
I decided to try this modification as an alternative to the Laminar Lip. It cost half the price of the lip and is adjustable on the go. There are others who have done this. A good reference is:http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/8181-finally-fitted-my-givi-airflow-and-painted-the-belly-pan-black/

For my modification:
1. Used an old OEM screen cut to 305 mm long which is the straight bit
2. Bought GIVI parts z1997R and z1963R (partnumbers fixed)
3. Did a trial fit using the OEM screen part I removed. Two 20 mm holes, four 4mm holes. It is important to get all the measurements worked out prior as you only get one chance with a screen and you want a tight fit.
4. Installed the OEM screen on the bike and did the drilling in situ.

I have just come back from an 80 km ride in humid conditions with wind and light rain (Melbourne Australia).

1. I love the ability to make height changes on the fly or at the next traffic stop.
2. This mod gives me three screens. A summer screen at 305mm without the airflow. A medium screen at 430mm with the airflow providing some laminar flow. And then adjusting up to a high screen at 550mm for bad weather.

Yes I know it is ugly but it works.

Regards
Garry

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Hi All,
I decided to try this modification as an alternative to the Laminar Lip. It cost half the price of the lip and is adjustable on the go. There are others who have done this. A good reference is:http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/8181-finally-fitted-my-givi-airflow-and-painted-the-belly-pan-black/

For my modification:
1. Used an old OEM screen cut to 305 mm long which is the straight bit
2. Bought GIVI parts 1997R and 1963R
3. Did a trial fit using the OEM screen part I removed. Two 20 mm holes, four 4mm holes. It is important to get all the measurements worked out prior as you only get one chance with a screen and you want a tight fit.
4. Installed the OEM screen on the bike and did the drilling in situ.

I have just come back from an 80 km ride in humid conditions with wind and light rain (Melbourne Australia).

1. I love the ability to make height changes on the fly or at the next traffic stop.
2. This mod gives me three screens. A summer screen at 305mm without the airflow. A medium screen at 430mm with the airflow providing some laminar flow. And then adjusting up to a high screen at 550mm for bad weather.

Yes I know it is ugly but it works.

Regards
Garry
Well done Garry, I didn't go to the same trouble but the end result is similar, if probably more expensive. Mines the 98 on the right with the MRA. Although thinkin about it, the last owner bought it. Bless him.
Upt'North.20190618_170601.jpg

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
The Givi conversion is a lot like the MadStad windshield which also works great!

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
I haven't done enough time with it yet to sing its praises. With channels for laminar flow it seems to diffuse the air stream more my than my touring screen. But if I was to be doing consecutive 1000 km days in colder weather I would probably would put the 535 mm screen back on. A pic from the front showing 120mm of potential travel..

For my height I would have preferred keeping the OEM screen to 420 mm as it would generate more laminar flow. I may eventually buy a straight aftermarket 420mm screen to do this. The mounting kits are cheap.

A comparison with the madstad is done here:

Opinions are subjective but it is a good demonstration of the screen utility.

Attachments

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Googled the part numbers and got nothing. Even the giviusa website had nothing when searching those numbers?
RT

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

John, does this combination fit the 1100?

Does it require new holes or any other permanent change to the 1100?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John, does this combination fit the 1100?

Does it require new holes or any other permanent change to the 1100?
Um... er... yes it does fit. I haven’t done it (yet) but Garry did as he demonstrated and documented in poST#1 above. I just looked up and provided links for the part numbers he used. And yes, you obviously have to drill holes in your extant shield to mount the Givi latches.

John

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Thanks Garry, I'm going to give this a go. Just ordered from a Canadian distributor ...... another project added. ;)
Guys, those who are going to try it please read fully the first link provided as it includes measurements and things to check.

While 185mm from centre hole to centre is important for alignment, its the 165mm from the edge of the 2 cm hole to the other 2cm that is critical. I suggest do one then slowly enlarge the other to the correct size and position. I used a small grinding cone approx 2cm in diameter after initially drilling.

Good luck.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It just dawned on me to ask, and I can't really tell from the pics:

Does this mod retain or replace the existing windshield? 1612053113064.png1612053113064.png

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It just dawned on me to ask, and I can't really tell from the pics:

Does this mod retain or replace the existing windshield? 1612053113064.png1612053113064.png
Retains the existing or an old one that you’re willing to drill holes in and possibly cut down. Look at Garrys first post he gives the details on how he did it.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Retains the existing or an old one that you’re willing to drill holes in and possibly cut down. Look at Garrys first post he gives the details on how he did it.
Got it. Now I understand his description, which I didn't before.

The existing windshield is the interface between the bike and the new hardware.

I have one or two windshields in a box that came with my bike; the original is probably in there.

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Guys, see attached pic below. Cats eyes are not necessary because of the shape of the givi air flow. See manufacturer's pics.

Please read and digest this link (in my first post) : http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/8181-finally-fitted-my-givi-airflow-and-painted-the-belly-pan-black/

Depending on the shape of your base screen you may need to adjust your measurements slightly. This is stuff you will need to determine with a trial fit.

Please click on the attached pic to enlarge. If more is required then copy/ paste to powerpoint and further enlarge there.

Good luck

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom