goldwing or st? compare, contrast, opinions?

I have been an ST rider for 20 years and love my st1100. The bike has always been a litte tall for me, but as I get older (60) , I have started to consider a goldwing that has a slightly lower seat height and a few extra creature comforts. I’m wondering what riders who have owned both have to say? what do you love or hate about each bike? what was your final choice and why? especially for an ST rider that went to goldwind and came back to st, why? Thanks in advance.

Mid 60's here, about 5'10-11"

Have had ST13 and GL1800, and at the same timeframe.

The 'Wing was nice because of the ride and comfort.

However, the 'Wing's weight caught up to me age wise, and found the ST more manageable. Plus, the ST ensured my wife kept her arms around me :)

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I own both bikes. My ST is a great bike for locals and rides up to a few hundred miles per day. After that, it gets uncomfortable. IMO, the ST is not a comfortable touring bike, so there is really no way to compare it to the Goldwing. The GW has a very comfortable seat, a more verticle riding position, great stereo, and cruise control. One can comfortably ride it all day, but not so with the ST. A passenger will be much more comfortable on the GW as well. The ST is top-heavy, but the GW is not.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have both bikes as well. A 2007 ST1300A and a 2015 Gold wing audio comfort. The ST has 106,000 miles and the wing 89,000. There is a big difference between the two, at least for me. The ST is smaller much quicker but does not as easily handle two up. The wing is much bigger, feels heavier, but easily handles two up.

When I change to the ST I notice the difference in quickness and it just seems to handle better, not that the wing cannot do the same things it just takes a little more "work" to make it though the twisties.

Maintenance is easier on the ST. Replacing the air filter on the wing is a pain but can be done at home.

In my case, while I have used the ST for two up touring for a couple of years before I got the wing, I find the wind much better suited to the "touring" thing with my wife and I.

While there is a little more storage space on the wing, I did purchase a trailer that we use to allow us to carry along more stuff, making our bike trips a little more fun.

So, solo, I prefer the ST. And yes, the cruise control is nice on the Wing. I use the Autocom system for audio on both.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Compared to the 730 lb ST1300 I used to own my 885 lb 2006 Goldwing “feels” lighter pushing up off the side stand due to its lower center of gravity. The Goldwing has a lower seat height and I can nearly place both feet flat at a stop. I’m much more comfortable with perceived weight and top heaviness on the Wing when carrying a passenger. The ST has better brakes and with more lean angle and with more of my weight on the handlebars it handled twisty roads at a quicker pace. I did not particularly care for the further forward foot peg placement of the Wing at first and it blocks more wind than comfortable in hot weather. Installing Baker movable wind deflectors under the mirrors and ditching the barn door stock windshield for a Madstad did the trick for hot weather comfort. Without those mods I’m not sure I would have kept it after the first Florida summer. Both bikes were all day comfortable for me but as odd as it sounds the heavier Wing is easier to manage when stopped or moving it around the garage. The reach to the ground is shorter and reverse is very handy. It seems to have more leverage designed into the center stand and it comes up on the stand with less effort.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I like the 1300 a lot. A whole lot, and it's the biggest bike I've ever owned.
Guess I'm a late bloomer, at 65 I've yet to own a GoldWing, but i will.
After some time on a 1250 GSA.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just to be contrary here. I've owned a GL1500 and a few after that a ST1100. The Wing got to be too bulky and heavy for my tastes. The ST was much easier to handle. But even that was getting heavy to me. I wanted lighter. First I went to the CTX1300 but that was the very same weight, although much lower seat height and lower CG... more like the Wing in a less bulky package. But I really wanted lighter and more nimble. I was also getting tired of the work of riding and wanted to concentrate on what was to me the joys of riding. IOW, I was getting the manual shifting thing out of my system. So I went the Burgman 650 route instead of bigger back to the Wing (DCT is very nice but a Wing is still heavy to me). Now I'm on the AK 550 which is 200+ lbs lighter than the ST and easily keeps up with the Wing at any legal speed. I'm finding a never ending smile when I ride it. Like I said, this is contrary to what most riders here would consider. But I'm 67 1/2 yo now and want to keep riding into my 70s or beyond if possible. Things currently hurt that didn't hurt before but not while I'm riding my AK.

Edit: my usual limit for miles in a day when I travel is 350 to 450. My trip home from this year's ArkanSTOC was 440 miles all at once on my AK. No problem for me.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
The one I tested...a 2018 Goldwing was nice comfortable and rock steady but I sure noticed the extra 200 lbs. Not when moving along but off the stand and slow speed manuvering such as making a U turn on 2 lane road. Much easier on my ST1100. At 68 not sure I want to wrestle the extra 200lbs.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I have both bikes and I believe hands down the 'Wing is a more comfortable touring bike.
After all, that's what 'Wings are built to do.
However I love the power, nimbleness and feel of the ST - just not for hundreds of miles.
If I ever get a seat that is more comfortable on it - it may become a great tourer.
The seating position of the bikes are radically different as is the riding characteristics.
The ST caused me great pain in the back until I installed the Helibars - ah!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although I don't OWN a Wing, I have rented them for extended periods ( week at a time) for long rides out west. I loved the seat and overall comfort on the wing, but the seating position was not great for me. I am 6'1", and it made my knees constantly sore. I am not sure if there was any adjustability built in, or available in the aftermarket, but even though i liked the ride and the features, the knee pain would be a deal breaker. I did add peg lowering pieces on my ST ( bought on ebay for 26$), and it made my riding comfy for hours in the saddle. I am sure the pegs can be lowered on the GW, but would it have sufficient ground clearance then?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have been an ST rider for 20 years and love my st1100. The bike has always been a litte tall for me, but as I get older (60) , I have started to consider a goldwing that has a slightly lower seat height and a few extra creature comforts. I’m wondering what riders who have owned both have to say? what do you love or hate about each bike? what was your final choice and why? especially for an ST rider that went to goldwind and came back to st, why? Thanks in advance.
I've gone from 01 Wing to 03 ST to 05 Wing to 08 ST...

ST - quick, agile, big tank
Wing - Comfort off the showroom, tech, low seat

I have no experience withe the new wing so I can't comment on those. The main reason I kept going away from the Wing was the weight mostly at slow speeds and under 20 mph twisties. The ST even though feels heavier when in the garage, looses it's weight quickly. However, in the twisties you do feel that weight when lining up a curve.

So, for me both of them became weight related issues that pushed me towards the lighter ADV bikes, Vstrom, Super Ten and even the Tracer 900.

The problem w/adv and naked type bikes is you don't get near the weather protection so when it's cold, IT'S COLD... lol.. that can work the opposite when it's hot and having weather protection but I prefer hot weather than cold weather so more protection works for me.

I never considered a BMW before due to the issues you hear about and especially final drive issues.. .however, from 1150 to the current 1250 they've made many changes and now basically have a final drive that is as good as Honda final drives IMO...

So, you may want to look at the RTs or the K1600FB for low seat heights. My 1250 RT has a nice low seat height and even though it's only a tad lighter than the ST, it feels a ton lighter.

Good luck with your choice, as long as it works for you, it's a good choice.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Although I don't OWN a Wing, I have rented them for extended periods ( week at a time) for long rides out west. I loved the seat and overall comfort on the wing, but the seating position was not great for me. I am 6'1", and it made my knees constantly sore.
I had the same experience. The GW was built for shorter riders. I'm 6'3" and my knees don't like to be bent. I ended up sitting on the front edge of the passenger seat most of the time, causing me to have to lean forward too much.

I have an RDL on my ST1100 that is much taller than stock, and very tall handlebars that let me sit upright.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
FA1A25A2-E53B-413B-98B1-F51773A8994C.jpeg

^^ Here is my 94 ST (reason for the pic…it is set up to tour on demand)- I also have never owned a GW (rode one in the past but it was a 2001 and it felt very big to me). My wife doesn’t join me too often these days 2-up, so I’m primarily a solo rider. That said, I’ve taken both STs on longer distance rides (maybe max 400 miles in a day) - if it’s set up right (bar risers, highway pegs to change the leg position from time to time, main peg lowering brackets, and in my case the mesh seat cover to increase airflow under your bum), I do feel it can be a long distance hauler. I honestly haven’t yearned for a GW, or any other larger bike due to the fact I have these 2 STs and the Silverwing (which with the CVT is like a comfy office chair that is effortless to ride). So I have the 2 bikes and the scoot, so I feel the collection is complete.

I had rented last year a BMW K1600 GTL in Colorado (so GW similar)- great bike, loved the ride and the power, but realized it’s too much bike for me- ST type bikes are just right for my needs.

I took a longer ride yesterday on the 94 as it was nice in SC (high ~ 64F or so). Before I knew it, I had gone 200 miles round trip (from home back to home) and wasn’t beat up or having numb butt. To me, as nice as a GW is (and they are VERY nice), I have no need for one as I don’t do cross country riding as much (maybe once a year for the Cherohala/ Tail of the Dragon trip), and for me, the ST’s fit the bill. YMMV.

Lastly, I am 58+ years old now, so not old and not young either…I don’t want something that’s really heavy that I might have to sell sooner- I had mentioned the BMW above- if I was to ever buy a BMW cycle, I would likely opt for the R1250RT and not the K1600.

One last thing for the OP…I have added a BT controller as well as GPS on the bike, so it is well set up such that I have the comforts offered in a factory bike (like the GW) on the ST, and I use a BT Plugfones as my speakers (truly hate it when I see people with speakers on their bikes blaring for the world to hear what their music tastes are). If you really love the ST, just upgrade it vs plunking down at least $20K for a used 2018+ GW, and again, this is use one of many opinions.

Last edited:

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Over the years, (I just turned 71) I've had somewhere approaching 40 bikes. The '05 ST was one of the best. However, when I took a test ride on a '16 VFR1200X, and then bought one, the ST paled in comparison. Love the DCT. Still have it. As for Wings, the previous generation was indeed somewhat plump. I enjoyed mine, but that was before I rode the latest and greatest, which came out in 2018. A very substantial improvement, and so now there's one in my stable. Those two Hondas are both very satisfying, each in it's own way. The other two stable-mates have a lower status in the pecking order, but they're nice too. ('17 Guzzi California, and '23 KLX 300)
Again, the superlative Wing is, in my opinion, the finest and most satisfying motorcycle money can buy. And, the "scared rabbit" capability of the VFR is just so much fun, catch me if you can!

FWIW...I sold my GL1500's for the ST1100. I find the ST is a nice medium ground between big and sport. Luggage is good and I'm not tempted to bring the whole garage like with the 1500's. Slowly adding what I need aftermarket (At less cost FYI vs the Goldwing). Don't get me wrong.... I loved my Goldwings and did many miles, trailered all that good stuff... but the ST1100 just hits alot of sweet spots as an all around bike....

Another point on the older ST's and goldwings.... less complexity. Those older systems can be much easier to maintain than the new "Black box" everything bikes.....

KG

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I own both bikes. My ST is a great bike for locals and rides up to a few hundred miles per day. After that, it gets uncomfortable. IMO, the ST is not a comfortable touring bike, so there is really no way to compare it to the Goldwing. The GW has a very comfortable seat, a more verticle riding position, great stereo, and cruise control. One can comfortably ride it all day, but not so with the ST. A passenger will be much more comfortable on the GW as well. The ST is top-heavy, but the GW is not.
What saddle do you have for the ST?

The saddle makes all the difference in the world. With the stock saddle, I made the mistake of riding 1,200 miles over a weekend, and I started paying the price after the first 400. Right after that ride, I got my first RDL for the ST1300 (I've had three now). And I can and have ridden, over 500 miles in one day and my brother and I did a 3,700 mile ride back in 2016 over 2 weeks, and we both were fine on our ST1300s!

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
I keep my wing for the odd trips with the SO. After she kept seeing dressers and wings it was the only way she wanted to travel. But otherwise for me the wing is way too smooth and quiet, too small a range and no comparison to the ST in enjoyment factor. The ST is still my first choice in the stable for long distance rides, just part of me now.

Top Bottom