goldwing or st? compare, contrast, opinions?

Bike
2000 ST1100
I've never purchased a bike from a dealer that wouldn't allow me to demo it. A bike is a "want" to me, it's a personal purchase, more so than a car/truck. If it doesn't fit me, doesn't put a smile on my face when I ride it, it's not meant to be. You can't figure that out standing there looking at it... you have to ride it.
I dunno in my case I bought mine sight unseen while it was still in the crate at the Honda dealership. No test rides then because I wasn't a customer and they did not know me but still I bought it. After 2 years of dreaming and salivating I was determined I had to have me a ST1100. Best decision I ever made. Oh btw when I bought it in for it's first 600 mile service they threw me the keys to a Honda Valkyrie as a loaner bike:)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
But the Goldwing is so customizable. You can do some really cools things to them....or not. :rofl1:

2001 Honda Goldwing - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Can anyone figure out what's going on here? Did the bike mate with its trailer?
That’s an aftermarket kit that converts a motorcycle to a sort of trike or cross between a trike and a four wheeler. You don’t seem them very often but there’s a couple around here I’ve seen before.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Those "adapters" are available for almost all motorcycle and scooter models. I've seen them on HD and GW down to little 50 cc Chinese scooters!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
With so many dealers in my area/state getting only 3 'Wings (if any at all) for months it's not surprising that demo rides aren't offered. Shops claim it's for insurance reasons and sure that may be a big part of it. But they also don't want to rack up a bunch of miles on a bike that they'd have to then sell as a demo and not new. Or at least price it as a demo. Most of those shops are also getting 2 DCTs and 1 standard shift bike.

My 'Wing buddy has a lot of experience on 'Wings with owning every model since the GL1000 up to his 2005 Anniversary Wing. A retired enforcement motor rider and instructor - he rides his 'Wing like others ride their ST. He's extremely accomplished and fast.

That said he got a 2022 or 23 'Wing and is crazy about it. Says it's the smoothest bike he's ever ridden. He felt lucky to snag a manual shift as many dealers told him the 3 bikes being unloaded had been sold for months. He bought his without a test ride and has no regrets.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I was of the understanding (presumed, I guess, as it was not actually stated) we were talking about test rides on a model we've never ridden.
Not much point in "testing" a bike if you've already owned one, much less several of them.
As I usually buy used motorsickles, dealer attitudes are not a concern to me.
I always bring a letter stating I have one hour to change my mind and bring the seller's bike back in the condition I took it. After I have paid him, and at that point he gets the bike back and I get my money back.
But it's never happened, because I research the snot out of the bike before any transaction, AND I have several conversations with the seller beforehand.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I was of the understanding (presumed, I guess, as it was not actually stated) we were talking about test rides on a model we've never ridden.
Not much point in "testing" a bike if you've already owned one, much less several of them.
As I usually buy used motorsickles, dealer attitudes are not a concern to me.
I always bring a letter stating I have one hour to change my mind and bring the seller's bike back in the condition I took it. After I have paid him, and at that point he gets the bike back and I get my money back.
But it's never happened, because I research the snot out of the bike before any transaction, AND I have several conversations with the seller beforehand.
Hmm Interesting concept. Don't know if that would work around here. In my neck of the woods once you buy it its yours...so buyer beware.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Hmm Interesting concept. Don't know if that would work around here. In my neck of the woods once you buy it its yours...so buyer beware.
Sure, not every seller will agree to that.
But if that's not fair enough to them, I would just walk.
I can think of few arrangements equally reasonable for both parties. But as I said, I have several conversations with the seller, and if they appear to be a butthead, or evasive, or holding back or anything less than fully open and transparent, I won't spend the time and the money to pursue the purchase. So I have never had an issue.
Before I bought the ST from my brother-in-law, who I obviously know well, the last two bike purchases were fly and ride.
You'd best believe I am confident before I fly out of state to get a used motorcycle!
I only buy a one-way ticket.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I have a small Alps tour business where I get to ride new rental bikes every year including Hondas, BMWs, Aprilias and KTMs. Riding here at home is about 20% of my annual riding and I look to own nice used sport touring bikes that can enjoy solo and can also be comfortable 2-up when my wife wants to come along.

I owned a 1992 ST1100 for 6 years or so. I added a Laminar Windshield/Lip combo, bar risers, RLD seat, wind deflectors, upgraded suspension, upgraded front brakes and several other farkles. I enjoyed it solo and 2-up.

In 2019 I purchased a 2008 ST1300 ABS. The bike was in great condition and came with the OEM wind deflector kit, OEM top case and bar risers. I added Sargent seats, upgraded suspension front and rear and lower rear pegs for the wife. It handled better, braked better and was faster than the 1100. We were also pretty comfortable on it - my wife liked the lower pegs/OEM backrest on the top case. I also liked the adjustable windshield.

While I liked the 1300 quite a bit, I had 2 big issues with it. It threw off a LOT of heat - the hottest bike I have ever owned or ridden. Riding in temps over 75F was noticeably warm, riding in 80 - 85F was toasty and above that I was sweating. I tried the mechanical things like syncing the throttle bodies, cooler plugs, cleaner air filter, different oil, etc. - no significant difference. I cut down the windshield, removed the front cowls and added Baker Air Wings and all of those things made a noticeable improvement - as long as I was moving at a decent clip. I suspect my 1300 was an outlier as to the excessive heat. The other issue I had with the 1300 was that I found it to be quite top heavy, especially with a full tank of gas, full luggage and my wife on the back. I had to be very careful in stop and go traffic, pulling into gas stations, stores, parking etc. That top heavy nature was also something I had to pay close attention to when pushing it around the garage.

In September 2021 I flew down to Lancaster PA and purchased a 2018 Goldwing Tour 6spd manual and then took 2 days to ride it home to NH. I have to say it is probably one of the nicest bikes I have ever ridden and certainly the best motorcycle I have owned (it should be for the money). There is no engine heat to deal with. The weight of the bike is all down low, which makes the bike very well balanced. I just turned 72 y/o and while the 1800 carries more pounds than the 1300 did I find it less precarious and easier to push around the garage (and get on the center stand).

Everything about the 1800 feels more refined than the 1300, as perhaps it should being 10 years newer. The clutch pull is easier, the brakes work better, the engine is smoother, the transmission shifts easier, etc. I test rode the 2017 Goldwing and the 2017 Goldwing F6B bagger (which I preferred) but both were too big and too heavy for my taste. I would describe my 2018 Goldwing as a cross between the ST1300 and the previous generation (2017 and earlier Goldwings). It's smaller and lighter than the older GWs but with all of the GW goodness in the engine and comfort areas, maybe 80% GW and 20% ST. I find mine handles nearly as well as my 1300 (I did a track day this past August on the GW, which got me more comfortable with the bike and its limits). The weather protection is similar to the 1300. I also feel the GW has just enough tech with the electronic preload settings and ride modes to be useful along with things like GPS, etc.

As someone posted earlier the 2018 is the first bike I have owned that does not require a lot of modifications to ride comfortably for long periods. I would also agree that is perhaps more of a ST1800 than the earlier Goldwings. I am perfectly fine with that.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@Moto-Charlie must you really rub it in?
I'm sure you already know that most (?) of us are enviable of your touring business. At least I am.
It's always been a dream (fantasy?) of mine, to make a profitable career in the motorcycle industry. Coaching for the MSF is as close as I've come, and that's not the ideal but it's fun and rewarding.
At the same time, I'm sure there are downsides (self-important clients with big attitudes, unprepared riders, snobbery, and many more) to dealing with *some* people. As I mentioned in my buy-a-used-bike-from-a-stranger episode above, I would reserve the privilege to turn down folks after the interview process; generally I'm a pretty good judge of character. (So don't ask me what I'm doing HERE. LOL!)
I imagine you must be a fairly astute people-reader, too. Crossing borders is not for the faint of heart, I imagine.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
back in early '15 i rode my '93 1500se over to Frackville, Pa. for a weekend of riding in the area with friends. at the time i was thinking about upgrading to an 1800 wing and picking up a ST 1100 at the time and was looking for both. we put in a lot of miles on twisty curvy roads that Saturday and by the time i got back to the hotel my arms were killing me. on my ride home my arms were still sore so i decided not to get another 800+ pound motorcycle. seeing that i wouldn't be buying an 1800 wing and a ST 1100 i decided to upgrade and get a ST 1300. comfort is too subjective and one problem i've always had with my wing is the low seat height. it has a road sofa which i find to be very comfortable but its about an inch and a half too low, my knee's don't like. with a gel-pad to get my knees at a better angle i did my first two IBA ss1000's on it. my ST 1300 was purchased in late '15, i thought the handlebars were too low but i guess i got use to them and made a one day 598 mile ride to get fudge for mom. it came with a Sargent seat so its all i've ever known. the following spring bar risers were added and it took a little time to get use to them. the weight loss was what i was looking for and i've never come home with sore arms. the heat is something i'll deal with until i figure out what bike i want next. as for comfort i'll say the Wing has a smoother ride overall but i wanted something more sporty. never having a passenger also means their comfort is something i don't have to think about. i did my last two IBA ss1000's on the Mighty ST 1300 and found it to be more comfortable to me. seeing that i'm not locked in one position and can move around in the saddle some. maybe the ST 1300 is just one of the bikes that works very well for me but i'm not going back to a wing. have i ridden a '18 or newer wing, yes. nice but no and i spent almost an entire summer test riding a couple of '10 wings which is what got me interested in them, much better brakes than my 1500 wing had. i sometimes miss having a trunk on my ST 1300 so soon i'll be looking for one i can add my trunk to, i don't want to loose my fuel cell

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
@Moto-Charlie must you really rub it in?
I'm sure you already know that most (?) of us are enviable of your touring business.
I know that I am indeed a lucky man to be able to ride the Alps as often as I do. I try not to "rub it in" and only mention it from time to time to add some context to whatever I'm commenting on. In the case of my recent post I was hoping to convey that my perspective on the 2018 Goldwing is based on having owned and ridden (via the Alps) dozens and dozens of different bikes over 46 years of riding. I was thinking that the Goldwing would be my last major ownership purchase (although life is always subject to change). For me at the moment it works really well.

I am also lucky that after 35+ years of Alps riding and almost 25 years of providing tours I get a fair number of repeat tour members, so I know that they are good people to ride with and hang out with. As you suggest I do exercise a fair bit of subtle control over who I accept to come on tour. I keep the groups small (usually a limit of 7 bikes) so compatible skill and personalities are important to the group and to my personal enjoyment as well. I've been pretty lucky over the years to have good groups. There have been one or two tour members that were not what I would have preferred, but those were a number of years ago and before I really stepped up my vetting. It's all good.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I know that I am indeed a lucky man to be able to ride the Alps as often as I do. I try not to "rub it in" and only mention it from time to time to add some context to whatever I'm commenting on.
It's just the smart-a$$ery coming out of me, Charlie.
I never, ever, envy another's success, I celebrate it.
Although, I wouldn't mind seeing more posts and pics of your exploits. ;)
I have lived in Germany, and traveled through Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and around. I'm truly blessed for that, as well, even though motorbikes were not involved...

Top Bottom