Goodbye ST.....hello Super Tenere!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I'm in the final stages of taking on a 'new' kind of ST...a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere. Raven Black, with factory hard cases. I'm going to be trading in my '04 ST1300, she's been a great ride since I bought her in 2005. But after 8+ years, I've got the itch for something new and different. Two weeks ago, I sold my '83 XL600 (purchased in 2003 for $350 and sold for $1500 and worth every penny). From my research, the Super Ten will fill both the non-paved riding, as well as the sport touring that I've been doing for the past however-many-years.
The new ride is presently in Austin, TX (our nation's capital), so I'm going to get one last, decent 8-hour ride down thru the Hill country before letting go of the STeed. Then the Super Ten will make its way back to the Panhandle.
As for me, I'm going to stay a member of this forum, if for no other reason than to keep active on the RAN list. There aren't many of us in this part of the country and I've had several members call for 'help' over the past few years.
Thanks to everyone for the comraderie, technical help, etc. since I joined in 2005. You guys are the best!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Congratulations on the new ride. Glad you are sticking around here, as this is one great place.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Congratulations on the S10! You will love it. We have enjoyed riding ours over the past two years.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Congrats! (But black?! :eek:)

:duck:
The earlier possibility I mentinoed was the blue model (and it looked sweet). But beggars can't be choosers and the mileage/price/options just added up to this bike being a good deal for me. The dealership has also put on a new set of Avon Distanzia's.

Can anyone give me a baseline suspension setting to dial in before I hop on for the 400+ mile ride home from the dealership? I know once I get home I can dial in the static sag and set it up for me but I don't want to just hop on and start a majore journey home with someone elses (or no one elses!) settings.

I weigh 210 w/gear.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Congrats! I know the forum is open to all type of bike owners, one of the many things I appreciate at this site. We seem to have several members lately trading in their ST for another ride. Just pondering the shift.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought my Super Tenere when they first came to the US. I kept my ST1300 though. I like having both. The Tenere is a very good highway bike as well as dirt / off road bike. You give up a bit of weather protection with the Tenere but it is lighter. I have been running Heidenau K60 Scout tires and love them. You lose a little wet pavement grip but otherwise they handle well and wear great. I got 11K miles on the first rear and am still running the front with 16-17K.
Congrats on your new bike - too bad you couldn't keep both.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
When I bought my ST1300, weather protection was a large factor as I lived in the midwest at the time. But now that I'm back in Texas, it's not as big of a factor. We only get occasional rain and the Super Ten's traction control is a worthwhile balance, in that regard, for me. Also, I now have access to more unpaved county roads so having a bike that isn't a squeemish on gravel/dirt is a bonus (I know, some of you guys take your 1300s everywhere! Not me.). And now that I've topped 50 years of age (and have for a few years now), the less weight I have to push around in the garage, the better. Especially getting the bike up onto my lift table.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can anyone give me a baseline suspension setting to dial in before I hop on for the 400+ mile ride home from the dealership? I know once I get home I can dial in the static sag and set it up for me but I don't want to just hop on and start a majore journey home with someone elses (or no one elses!) settings.

I weigh 210 w/gear.
Check out the Super Tenere forum (www.yamahasupertenere.com) for info on setting up the suspension. I haven't changed my suspension at all from where it started at and i have nearly 30K miles on it now.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The STenere is a great bike - I still think it's the best of the ADV bikes.

When I got mine everything was set in the middle - I think I up'd the preload to 3/4 of full but that's about it.. It has a pretty soft suspension so it feels great right from go.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just sat on one last weekend (second time) at a dealer. I can't wait until I can find someone who will let me try theirs. I really like everything about the S-10. I just can't justify it as a second bike, so either I get a Wee to go with my ST, or sell the ST and get an S-10. Then again by the time I can afford another bike the ST will be so well used it would end up being the second bike!

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
RIDE UPDATE and FIRST IMPRESSIONS!: I left Canyon at 2:45 Wednesday afternoon on my ST1300 for its final trip under my care. Temps were low 90s, but in the dry Panhandle it felt cool and dry. Took the scenic route thru Caprock Canyon, eventually hooking up with US 287 at Estelline. Once I came down off the Caprock, the temperature got hot, quickly! Dash read 98-100 and on the ST, it felt every bit of it. The ST was just as it had been over the previous nine years...a slight buzz thru the bars that made me flex my hands every so often to get the circulation back. Airhawk seat totally erased the seating issue I'd had in the past. Great bike, solid in every way but I was ready for something new and different. Rode to Hillsboro for the night, then left yesterday morning for Austin. Got to the dealership (Woods Fun Center) at 11:45, looked over the 2012 Super Ten I was about to pick up and finished the deal. Swapped everything over from the 1300 to the Super Ten and was on the road by 1:15. 492 miles and 8 hours later, I rolled into my driveway (and a total of 614 miles for the day between the two bikes).

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

SIZE: The Super Ten is noticably lighter than the ST, both at stop as well as at speed. It is tall (see below), but moves easily once under way. And I didn't have any difficulty paddling my way out of parking spaces Maybe some of this is due to the larger diameter wheels? Regardless, it felt much lighter than its 500+ lbs, while the ST always felt every bit of its 750+ lbs. Also, you sit atop the Super Ten and while the impression is one of height, you don't feel like you are astride a tremendously large machine, other than the fact that your arms are splayed out wide in dirt-bike style.

HEIGHT: The Super Tenere is a TALL bike. I'm 6-1 with a 34" inseam and if you are the type that is hung up on flat-footing both feet while at a stop, forget it. It is a dirt-bike on steroids-type feel. Granted, I put the seat in the higher of two positions and used my Airhawk seat for the ride home, which adds maybe an inch, but it is still a tall bike. I experimented for about 30 miles with the seat in the lower position, but my knees prefer the taller of the two positions. I can see where this would be an easy bike to drop at low speed in a parking lot.

ERGONOMICS: Aside from the physical height, the Super Ten felt natural to me. The bars are very wide and give great leverage when turning. Controls fall readily to my hands. Both levers are adjustable. Very comfortable bike to ride. Rather than the 'tucked-in' feel I had on the ST, the Super Ten is more of a dirtbike style. You are hanging out there in the breeze, to a point. But if feels natural and is very comfortable. I did NOT make any of the ride without the Airhawk, so can't comment on the long-term use of the seat at this time.

ENGINE: This thing flat stomps! I'd read negative comments regarding the engines lack of 'oomph' in Touring mode, as well as a lack of 'sound'. Those folks obviously hadn't come from an ST1300 background. The engine has a wonderful, deep growl upon startup, and when starting from a standing stop it reminded me of a cross between a Big Twin (which it essentially is, just not a 'V') and a big 4-stroke dirt bike. in fact, it reminded me very much of the sound my old Ducati 900 made after I put a Micron canister on it. Not a V-Twin cadence, but a nice throaty roar. You can literally move away by releasing the clutch without using throttle if you know what you are doing. I did not use the Sport mode on the trip home, as I was interested in fuel economy (one of the few times you'll hear me say that). With a strong crosswind over half the trip, and a tail wind the final 120 miles, I averaged 44.5 mpg for the ride home. I'd also read about 'surging' issues at various RPM, but couldn't find any fault with my machine. 77-80 mph fell right about 4200 RPM (as registered on GPS....the speedo is just as optimistic as what the ST's was). 77 mph was an indicated 85 mph. And being a twin with a fairly flat-plane crank, you can feel it 'shake', both at idle as well as upon acceleration. But it isn't a tooth-rattling, what-fastener-is-going-to-depart-now shake, just the feel that you have a powerful engine. And not a hint of the type of buzz that the ST1300 had. Over the 480 mile trip home, I didn't once have to let loose of the grip and flex my hand for circulation.

INSTRUMENTS: Easily legible....analog tach and digital speedo. multi-function display has two buttons, one of which toggle thru odometer and 2 trip odometers. Only issue I had on occasion was when trying to re-set the trip odometer following fuel stops, I would hold the button a tad too long and change the readout to Metric. Second button toggles ambient temperature, water temperature (but you won't know if unless you are familiar with the gauge, as there isn't an 'F' or anything referencing temp), fuel economy (trip and total mpg). There is a third, less prominent button located on the side of the instrument cluster which toggles the ABS settings. During the day, the cluster is a black digit on a neutral screen while at night, the cluster is dark grey/black digits with an orange backlight.

HEADLIGHTS AND TURN SIGNALS: I rode about 150 miles after dark and the headlight is one of the best I've had in some time. It casts a bright, broad beam across the road, with a definite cut-off point at the top. The high beam does away with the cut-off point, but both beams illuminate the darkness. I don't see any pressing need for auxilliary lighting at this time. Its nice to have turn signals that you can see operate (why? Not sure, but its nice). Also, the on-dash indicator are two large, green, indicator lighs on the left and right hand side of the instrument cluster. Very noticable during daylight use.

MIRRORS: High and wide and offer a very clear view of whats behind. No buzzing or blurring.

BRAKES: Very strong initial bite. I tried to induce some fading by applying hard during the heat of the day from high speed. Absolutely none. Linked in a different manner from what the ST's were, and you can also use the rear brake on its own by not applying any front lever (such as when maneuvering in parking lots). Very convenient.

WEATHER PROTECTION-WIND FLOW: While the Super Ten is not a fully faired bike, it does have kind of a half fairing which juts out a bit. The airflow would hit my lower leg, but not from the thigh up. Also, despite reading negative comments regarding buffeting from the small, stock windscreen, I found it to be quite adequate. It was already placed in the upper of two settings (you change settings with tools) The airflow hit my helmet just above the faceshield (I wore a full face helmet). From what I've gathered, the buffeting issue is a result of high speeds with an ADV-style helmet which has a bill or peak. Doesn't take much to figure out a bill is going to catch any airflow, even on an unfaired bike. I'd thought a Wonderlich Tobinnator was going on my short list of must-have farkles, but after yesterday's state-wide romp, I think I will hold off for a bit. Also, the stock hand guards to a great job of keeping the wind off your hands. I noticed that after the sun went down I wasn't getting chilly fingers, either. Heated grips a no longer one of the first farkles I am concidering.

HANDLING: My only knowledge to report thus far is on pavement - Slow speed handling was good. You are aware of your height off the pavement, but having the ability to drag the rear brake without having the front end tuck is a great relief. At speed, the bike goes where you want it to. The suspension works great. I wasn't aware of any oversprung-underdamped issues, nor was I able to properly set the bike up for 'me' before starting my journey home. I had the rear preload 2 cranks above 'normal' but have now idea how the front preload and damping was set. I'll work on this over the weekend. Other than when going thru the 30 mph zones of the smaller Texas towns most of this ride was conducted between 70 and 80 mph, with numerous curves thru the Hill Country and Big Country. Simply put, you lever the bar in the direction you want to go (countersteer) and the Super Ten tracks true. No bobbling, wavering, wanting to stand up mid-corner. Just go. And if you have to brake a bit before or during the turn, you get a wonderfully throaty roar when you get back on the gas! My bike was wearing a fresh set of Avon Distanzia's, and I'm sure they had a lot to do with the handling on pavement. Were it to have TKC-80's, I'm sure I'd be reporting a bit more squirming in corners.

OTHER STUFF: REFUELING. What's with the 'basket' thats stuck in the filler neck of the tank? Its tough to get a fuel nozzle down into the tank and when you do, the gas burbles up and cuts off the auto flow. And if you try to hold the nozzle up a bit, like I did on the ST1300, and peer in to see what kind of progress you are making, it sloshes fuel all over the place. I'm sure there is a good reason for this thing, but its a PITA.

LUGGAGE. While many choose options other than stock, the Yamaha side cases are big and deep. Won't hold a helmet, but will hold tons of stuff (more than what the ST1300 will hold). They open with a separate key from the ignition (Cycle World did a report stating the latch would get sticky and they feared breaking the ignition key. This isn't the case as its a separate key). Lids hinge in front and pivot upward. Very easy to load. I plan to get some inner bags to make it even easier. I have NOT attempted to remove the bags from the bike, yet. There is a red plastic latch which pops out to remove the bags, but I haven't attempted yet. In keeping with the overall height of the bike, mounting and dismounting with the luggage in place requires very long legs. I had the heel of my boot contact the RH bag on just about every attempt to get off the bike. As opposed to the ST's side cases, these bags are noticably large. I will be taking them off when not actually using them.

ACCESSORY PLUG. The bike comes equiped as stock with a 12v outlet located just to the right of the ignition switch. Rather than a Powerlet style plug, it is the standard auto-style cigarette lighter style. So all my Powerlet stuff which I used on my ST will now need converted to the standard style. Fortunately, my GPS has both style plugs. This outlet is a 'switched' outlet, meaning that I cannot plug my battery tender into it to keep the battery charged, so will need to add this to my list of farkles.

Overall first impressions...what a bike! No remorse on this purchase, at least not yet. I do plan to install crash bars soon, and a bash plate at some point (the oil filter is fully exposed, but I don't plan to do any riding much more offroad than a dirt road at in the foreseeable future. I just plan to ride and enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom