Goodbye ST.....hello Super Tenere!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Sounds like a winner! It's definitely on my short list of future bikes.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Congrats on the new bike and many happy miles. When I bought my RT last year the Yamaha was my other serious consideration but because we do a lot of two up riding I thought the RT would be a better choice for me.

Great choice and have fun

Gerhard

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Here I thought ST-owners meant Super Tenere owners. Mellow got me confused on that one.

I still have my ST1300 but it sure gathers a lot of dust compared to the S10. 35k in 17 months and I still can't get enough of it. It's still the best bike that I've ever owned, at least for me and my riding desires.

Seating - look into the seat concepts kit for under $200. They custom pour their own foam so just tell them your weight and how you want it. Now I don't HAVE to use the Airhawk anymore.

Power Outlet - it only has a 2 amp fuse. Get an outlet from Cycle Gear when they are on sale for $10 so you can run higher amperages if needed.

Front air deflectors - great for cold weather riding if you want to keep more air off of you.

Luggage - bite the bullet and get the Jesse Bags. You will forget the high price after a while and 2 of these carry almost as much as an ST1300 with a top box.

Highway Pegs - Altrider crash bars are too wide to be comfortable, I've built some custom highway peg plates that I plan to sell in the near future. More comfortable than the ST1300 highway blades.

Now if I could just find a darksider tractor tire to fit this bike....

Bike
2007 ST1300A
jeez Tree muncher, I wish I knew this when I saw you in 2012 ... would loved to have learned more about the S10 .....

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
jeez Tree muncher, I wish I knew this when I saw you in 2012 ... would loved to have learned more about the S10 .....
I had just purchased the bike 2 weeks before that episode of FerrySTOC. I did not tell anyone about it until I had made it to Americade that year.

I doubt that I could have filled you in too much about it then as it was still very new to me. I doubt that I put 1k miles on in in those first few weeks of ownership but I have managed to pile miles on this rather quickly.

Now, I usually manage to find dirt and/or gravel on every event that I attend. More roads, more choices, more exploration. :headbang:

SPX

Bike
ST1300
I am toying with selling my ST1300 & Tiger 800XC, and going to just one bike ... The Super Tenere. It looks like the only thing I'd really lose that the ST1300 offers is better wind protection.

Any thoughts on two up comfort of the S10? Or, single rider comfort over long, high mileage (500+) days?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I am toying with selling my ST1300 & Tiger 800XC, and going to just one bike ... The Super Tenere. It looks like the only thing I'd really lose that the ST1300 offers is better wind protection.

Any thoughts on two up comfort of the S10? Or, single rider comfort over long, high mileage (500+) days?
The Super Ten for me was about 10 degrees cooler to ride in most situations and you might get a little more rain on your shins but the weather protection is actually quite good. I did 500 mile days just about everytime I got on it - due to work schedule, no short non-vacation trips - and a few 800+ mile days.

I got a Bill Mayer seat for it as the stocker was painful after 50-100 miles and that made a ton of difference. I sold it for mainly financial reasons as because for me it was very close to the ST in many ways. When I was ready for another bike, if I could have gotten a good deal I would have gotten another one but ended up w/2012 VStrom 650.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #

My Seat Concepts kit replaced the original seat with 300+ miles of comfort. They now make a kit for the pillion seat. At less than $200, it's a bargain for the comfort gained. Prior to that, with the Airhawk cushion, I've done a couple of IB rides. For me, the S10 has more comfort than the ST as it is not such an excessively hot ride on summer days. The position is right for me, the Jesse Bags carry more stuff and I can go where I want to....exploring.

As for 2 up, the center of gravity is a little bit higher but not that noticeable. Not as much punch to pass but plenty enough to get you in trouble. Della says that it is comfortable to be pillion on either bike as long as the top box is on for a sense of security.

My ST1300 is a dust magnet in the corner of the shop while the Tenere eats many miles and tires. Mellow got me confused - I think ST means Super Tenere from now on. Unless I head to Florida or other lands far away with boring roads and lousy gravel, the S10 is my ride of choice.

Loved my St1300 and put over 90k on it in 5 years. But while in Colorado a couple summers ago, we were at a hotel and were talking to a bunch of guys that came in on adventure bikes. He asked where we had been riding and we told him all the cities and roads we had done the past few days. He chuckled and said "Son, you have only seen half the state". I thought about that all the way back to Georgia, and within a couple weeks had the ST up for sale. Ended up buying a Tenere, farkled it up, and haven't looked back. Have had stock tires, K60's, Anakee 3's, and all have been a blast in the mountains. But the one thing that makes me love the bike is the ability to see a road, dirt road, and say "Let's go exploring". And if you haven't already guessed, this summer I headed back to Colorado to see the other half. It was amazing. In fact I'm headed back next summer to see more, and possibly hit Utah.

Last edited:
Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
I've been thinking about one of these for over a year now. I'll be 60 in 2015 a Super Tenere would make a nice birthday present if I can wait that long. I've been fighting new bike fever for quite awhile now.

SPX

Bike
ST1300
It's interesting the number of ST1100/1300 owners who are debating a switch to, or the addition of, a Super Tenere.

SPX

Bike
ST1300
My only lasting concern is how the bike is two up, compared to the ST1300. My girlfriend really likes riding on the back of the ST1300, but won't ride on the back of my Triumph. Inching closer to making the move to a Tenere.

Having said this, when I was riding the ST1300 yesterday, I commented to myself about what a fun and great bike it is. I guess either way, you can't really go wrong.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Loved my St1300 and put over 90k on it in 5 years. But while in Colorado a couple summers ago, we were at a hotel and were talking to a bunch of guys that came in on adventure bikes. He asked where we had been riding and we told him all the cities and roads we had done the past few days. He chuckled and said "Son, you have only seen half the state". I thought about that all the way back to Georgia, and within a couple weeks had the ST up for sale. Ended up buying a Tenere, farkled it up, and haven't looked back. Have had stock tires, K60's, Anakee 3's, and all have been a blast in the mountains. But the one thing that makes me love the bike is the ability to see a road, dirt road, and say "Let's go exploring". And if you haven't already guessed, this summer I headed back to Colorado to see the other half. It was amazing. In fact I'm headed back next summer to see more, and possibly hit Utah.

Great Pics,

Bike
Vstrom 650
First time I seen a super tenere was last Friday at the bike show,took a few pics and was busy looking at the new vstrom 1000 and the crosstourer,nc750x etc. but I have started thinking seriously about the super ten now,it would mean just having one bike ,so the st1100 and the vf800 would have to go,
the consensus seems to be they are a great bike,and the ability to tour and take her on unpaved roads is very tempting.
Have to get a test ride soon whenever the seemingly constant rain and wind eases up here.
the crosstourer or the super 10 would be my main contenders,think the super 10 is lighter though and it just looks more like a bike to take down a gravel road,the crosstourer looks a bit too 'softroader' that's just an impression from looking at the bike,have to give both an extensive test ride.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I got a good lock at Paul Pelland's Super Ten today. It was great seeing one all farkled up. I got a good look at the one that was used in the 2013 IBR as well. I'm tempted to replace my ST with one, but I'm still hesitant. The things I'm concerned about are long term lifespan; wind/rain protection; and tire life. We all know how long STs last, and how little work they need. Wind/rain protection is pretty good with either ST, but with my 'stich neither would be much of an issue anyway. The other big thing is tire life/expense. I solved that by going dark with the ST; I think I would have a hard time owning one bike and having to replace tires every few thousand miles again.

I guess as much as I would want to swap bikes, I better keep the ST for long trips and look for a 'Wee for the rougher stuff. Someday I'll be able to have the Super Ten as a second bike!

Great pics by the way...shots like that really make me miss my KLR!

I got a good lock at Paul Pelland's Super Ten today. It was great seeing one all farkled up. I got a good look at the one that was used in the 2013 IBR as well. I'm tempted to replace my ST with one, but I'm still hesitant. The things I'm concerned about are long term lifespan; wind/rain protection; and tire life. We all know how long STs last, and how little work they need. Wind/rain protection is pretty good with either ST, but with my 'stich neither would be much of an issue anyway. The other big thing is tire life/expense. I solved that by going dark with the ST; I think I would have a hard time owning one bike and having to replace tires every few thousand miles again.

I guess as much as I would want to swap bikes, I better keep the ST for long trips and look for a 'Wee for the rougher stuff. Someday I'll be able to have the Super Ten as a second bike!

Great pics by the way...shots like that really make me miss my KLR!
Guys are getting well over 15k miles on the K60's I have on my bike above. I get to about 6k and the front starts chopping up a bit so I remove and start over. But I bet I could get well over 10k on the rear and much more than that on the front if I didn't like riding hard on street in the mountains. Mitas E07's are also getting well over 12k miles on this bike. I'd like to try a set. Most say they wear better than the K60.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Guys are getting well over 15k miles on the K60's I have on my bike above. I get to about 6k and the front starts chopping up a bit so I remove and start over. But I bet I could get well over 10k on the rear and much more than that on the front if I didn't like riding hard on street in the mountains. Mitas E07's are also getting well over 12k miles on this bike. I'd like to try a set. Most say they wear better than the K60.
Is that some owners, or the average? I know people who get well over 10k miles from a set of tires on the ST, but I was lucky to get 6k out of a rear, and my fronts averaged 7-8k before I went dark. Thats a month, two tops, out of a pair of tires. I do ride kind of hard, and I'm a big guy and travel with a fair amount of stuff on multi day trips. I also don't want to go to strictly street tires because part of the draw of the S-10 is the dirt worthiness. I'm getting too old for actual trail riding, but I do enjoy dirt roads.

The K60 will give you the best chance of any tire to get high mileage on this bike. The tread depth is enormous compared to any other tread, and they wear like iron. The only reason I take them off early is I still like to ride a spirited ride in the mountains with my street guys and at 6-7k the front tends to start giving me fits.

Top Bottom