Got the CT mounted but I don't notice any difference

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I will say this. I was shocked at how wide this tire is. I double checked the Darkside thread to make sure I got the right one. 205X50X17 is what it says but wow. This seems a lot wider than I was expecting. I guess that is why people say it is a tight fit and some other models rub.

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable! :hat4:

Bet that thing will wear FOREVAR....(at least where you currently show it mounted!) and I doubt the width would be an issue either. :D

Byron

STOC #
Felt completely the same as a MC tire???

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Do you ever get the bike leaned over? :confused:

How can something that wide and flat even lean without feeling like it is coming up on its edge?

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
Removing the wheel is no big deal. I will do it every 10K miles and re lube the splines. Perhaps they won't need it anyway. I am not sure why the splines are so critical. I can't see that they move relative to one another. I suspect the difference in tire weight won't have any affect on the life of the drive components. But perhaps the change in force vectors due to the wider and squarer tire will differ enough from the original that premature wear will result.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Aren't the splines mostly protected from the weather? How is a properly greased set of spline going to know the difference between 10k and 20k worth of milage? Please explain how the properly greased splines will know ,is there a milage recomendation in the manual or on the grease as to how long it will last ? Please eduacte us for own own sake and safety.

Bike
GL1800 2015
Gene. I believe it's just a matter of every time the wheel is removed ...to grease up the splines!....now..if you get a Wing, you DONT have to worry about that! ;) :D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ask Any BMW Owner about the importance of keeping your splines lubed. :tools1:
BMW vs. Honda or any other shaft driven bike is little different if talking about the rear wheel final drive - they are going to wear roughly the same way as the driving spines mesh with the driven flange.

The splines that can be trouble on BMWs are the transmission output splines where the engine-speed dry clutch plate slides back and forth on the shaft every time the clutch is disengaged.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Welcome to the darkness David!! I have mine inflated to 42 lbs and I like the way it performs!! Let me know what you think!!

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I LOVE these threads about the car tire on the ST. Keep it up...I will be going there some day.

Bike
None
STOC #
Aren't the splines mostly protected from the weather? How is a properly greased set of spline going to know the difference between 10k and 20k worth of milage? Please explain how the properly greased splines will know ,is there a milage recomendation in the manual or on the grease as to how long it will last ? Please eduacte us for own own sake and safety.
There is a maintanance schedule in the owners manual and the service manual.

Even though the splints
slide together as if there is no space between them, there is a tremendous amount of space there if one were to look at it from a machinists point of view. Each time you accelerate and decelerate the splines clash together (throttle on, power goes thru the final drive, final drive spins, final drive spines free spin a couple of thousands of an inch until they clash against the wheel splines, wheel splines pick up the power and transfer the power to the wheel. the opposite is true on decceleration). The lubricant, moly 60 in this case, is there to absorb the clash of the two sides of the splines or act as a cushionto prevent metal to metal wear! Should this lubricant wear out ( lose it shear strength) the splines start taking a beating and wear faster than normal. Should the lubricant wash out or dry up over time then the splines will wear faster yet! Considering there is 100hp +/- going to that spline, regular replacement of the moly 60 paste ( see your maintenance schedule) is highy important in his high stress area of shaft drive bikes. Also I'm betting that Sport Touring bikes and the riding riders put them through creates more stress against the splines than the average shaft driven bike. Valkrys also have some issues due to the power of the big 6 engine that scoots them along, though not as often as ST's. In a nut shell, If you intend to keep your ST for 30k plus miles and don't mind spending big bucks for a final drive then not keeping up with the spline maintenance with moly 60 won't be a big deal......

Hope this makes sense.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I will say this. I was shocked at how wide this tire is. I double checked the Darkside thread to make sure I got the right one. 205X50X17 is what it says but wow. This seems a lot wider than I was expecting. I guess that is why people say it is a tight fit and some other models rub.
BY chance did you do an actual measurement of the width of the tire, knowing the measurement of what works could help weed out other CT's that are possible candidates that haven't been tried yet ... Thanks

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
BY chance did you do an actual measurement of the width of the tire, knowing the measurement of what works could help
from what I've been reading, its seems to be more the brand,design,shape of tire that makes a diff ( after proper size of course ).... which is why not all same sized tires fit without rub. No way of knowing till mounted.

PS; good threads on this , considering a ct for pulling a trailer on long trips, will prob go with a second rim for changeouts.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Thanks Tom , I think the point most non Darkies really understand is most of us are only looking to run these tires for 20k or so enough to get thru a season without the expence and hassle of 2 or 3 tire changes , which in the end is about the same as the as some of the guys here that are able to 20k on bike tires, we never say they are being harmfull to the bike if a M/C tire is able to get that kind of milage . I ask again how many niles does "Honda" say is to many to many ? I looked at my owners manual and the service manual for my 03 and no where does it mention how many miles are to many between tire changes and spline regreasings is OK . More speculation opinion with no actual facts to back it up .

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Gene... thinking that moly on the splines shouldn't be a prob anyway, esp if your checking the rear flange bearings every 10k anyway! :)
my last set went from good to bad in 5k...

Top Bottom