Grrrrr… My Turn

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Well, it’s when, not if. On Wednesday, I went into the office for an event, and while parking my ST 1100 decided to take a nap.

Other than my pride and a sore left leg from putting it down quickly, there’s no real damage or injury to bike or owner.

Due to my slight leg injury, one of the other employees helped me get it up and push it into the parking spot. At the end of day I had a fellow with the trailer come and pick it up and drive me and the bike home. There was no way I could get it off the centre stand and safely ride it home.

If you’ve read my other post regarding the challenges, I’m having with this wonderful bike, you can probably guess that I’m at the point of letting her go. Definitely time to move on.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Ok Gman, sorry to here of your unfortunate experience, you're pride is damaged, and like your leg it will recover. Dont be to hasty in making the decision to move on. could you share what the circumstance was that caused the incident, maybe the hot chick in the miniskirt getting out of her car at the office ?

OP
OP
GGely

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Not if but when! No damage to the ST, those engine guards work so well.

Just sad that my Chippendales career is sidelined :(

No such distraction, I am afraid, Walleye. I was driving into a parking spot that was off camber and uphill and let the speed get too low. This was on me all the way.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Just getting over this; had to move the 1300. Took it off the centerstand and forgot the side stand was up. My back was already FUBAR from the damned virus. Damned lucky the pellet grill was there. The bike tipped, and I got caught betwixt the two. My back's REALLY sore now, but the bike is fine. Man, these things are top heavy. My wife was just cruising the web and found a friend of hers has a 1983 GL650I Silverwing fully restored he might be willing to trade me for. The temptation is there... https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/29/health/human-metapneumovirus-explainer-wellness/index.html

Bike
2000 ST1100
Oh my I was reading your post and sorry you are thinking about getting rid of your ride. To me I have found the bike pretty easy to maneuver. Like any bike you have to pay atttention while moving it around. My last laydown was about 15 years ago. I'm perfectly experienced with it now and know what to watch out for.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Silverwing is top heavy,at least my short time with th cx650E was.And chunky feeling.The HP AIN’t the same etc.
I like the SWGLI's. I had an 82 500. Horsepower is no big deal to me. My wife thinks I should keep this one...

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
What else are you going to do thats as much fun as riding an ST ? I found myself in a less then ideal area of south east missouri last year with a group of dual sport adventure bikes, me on my ST. I knew this was the my time, I was goin down for all to see. Well I didnt but one of the Adventure bikes did, and it was probably the most experienced rider in the group, similar to your event only on a gravel hillside doing a low speed turnaround, needed help getting it up, slight abrasion to bike, none to rider. So by know your leg is probably feeling worse but we are not going to cut you any slack, get out there and get your Mojo on man.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Hope you make a full recovery on the leg the important thing is you don't get injured too bad. I remember attempting to lessen the impact a bit but quickly discovered how gravity likes those engine guards a lot more than I do and managed to get out of the way.

Having all three examples mention in this thread , yes they are all heavy bikes ! Which is why when I have to move any of them I get on them as if i'm going to ride it. Lightest is the CX650E at 550lbs give or take a few , Silvy weighs in at 610 lbs fully dressed she is 81 Gl500i with a Cx650e engine in it. Have to admit the Cx and Gl are the easiest bikes to work on , but no where as smooth running as the St. And yes I have dropped the Silverwing once ,forgot to take the club off the front wheel, back hurt for three days after picking it up by myself.
Ggely take care of the injury and heal well.

Ironic tale, just after reading this thread,go for ride to princess auto to get stuff and get rear ended at a stop light. Fall over too the left side ,suprized no damage to the bike. Got hit by a VW jetta I believe, bumper hit my tire. Guy takes off and leaves me blocking the lane. Someone who saw the accident stopped and helped me lift the bike up and later text me the licence number of the Vw.

Lesson learned , can't tell how close cars are in the mirrors, thought he was going to stop. Been getting in the habit of stopping and waiting on the painted line that sperates the lanes,but for some dumb reason didn't do that this time.

Top Bottom