GSX-S1000GT+

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
A center stand can be added, can't it?
THAT is a must with chain drive, to further clarify my earlier comment... :biggrin:

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
A center stand can be added, can't it?
THAT is a must with chain drive, to further clarify my earlier comment... :biggrin:
You would think it's a must, but they said the way the muffler goes underneath the bike, that no, and there's no room to add one. I can't imagine on a touring bike with a chain not having one. Forces you to carry a portable stand of some kind.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow!
Chain, doable.
No center stand or option, deal-breaker!
And not JUST for chain adjustment / maintenance, what about rear wheel removal?
Major FAIL!
My opinion, anyway. This is how you castrate a "touring" bike!

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Good replies, I'll be doing a lot more homework, always do every time I buy a bike.
Agree I must have a center stand and I don't need 130 HP ( a hundred will do :biggrin: )
That RIDER article did get my juices flowing about a new bike, 1st time in a long time:
because other than weight I LOVE my ST.
I'll have to look at bikes like the R1250RT and the Versys 1000LT.
The bike has to ride good, my wife rides with me and it has to be lighter.
THANKS appreciate the response and input

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
One question comes to mind. First, do you have to have a brand new bike? There are a lot of options out there if you don't need to buy it with 0 miles.

We tend to think we can only get a "sport touring" bike if it weighs 600+ lbs and has enough horsepower to move that bulk nicely. I had my heart set for years to get an FJR or an ST. Then I test rode a BMW F800GT. A couple weeks later, I still had it on my my mind and asked my wife if I decided to buy it, if that would be okay. She said she was against it, but knew I'd do it anyway. ;) :D So I did.

That's a long way to say that you may be pleasantly surprised with a bike that weighs 470lbs wet...and can still tour easily. I have over 90K on mine now, and it wouldn't be that many miles if I didn't find it capable of touring.

Chris

I had an older one, it’s basically a 4 speed. 4-5-6 are stacked right on top of each other. Not ideal for long distance imo

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
If you're considering the Versys 1000, you might want to also consider the Ninja 1000SX. Very similar bikes but costs over 5k less.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I dunno, the ST is my first shaft drive after 13 other chain bikes. In retrospect maintaining a chain isn't all that hard, I never adjusted one on the road or a trip. I had to plug a couple rear tires but again, I didn't take the wheel off or use the centerstand on the side of the road. Yeah, certainly at home, but if I'm home using it a service stand is just as simple. I dunno, not a deal breaker. And any chain bike I might buy in the future will have a Chain Oiler installed on it so maintenance on the road is a moot point. Bottom line, I kinda like that big Suzuki, which is rare for me to say about any new bike....

And the F800GT does check a lot of boxes. I kinda covet them quietly. Everything you need, nothing you don't and a drive BELT that will require about as much attention as a shaft, with far fewer moving parts.

RT

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
My wife and I are in AZ for the month of September. Visited a dealer who had a GSX S1000 GT+ we couldn’t ride it but found it taller than my ST , therefore harder for my wife to get on & off. Also after scrutinizing thoroughly there is no way to put on a center stand or even lift with my hydraulic bike jack due to the exhaust and muffler .
We also checked out an Indian Scout, it fits us real good, nice and low, but has some shortcomings compared to an ST.
Ha ! doesn’t all other bikes. ?

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Rode down to the local Dealer on my big Versys 1000LTSE and test sat a Suzuki GSX- S1000GT+ . Nice bike. Good build quality, aesthetically pleasing, but I could not get my 73 year old body to wrap around the seating position. Was very happy to return to my Versys. Can't go wrong with a Versys 1000.

68392560_2702538876423848_1953850656687128576_o.jpg
Well you do have the correct year FJR and proper color side panels I see. Sure like mine although I did change the wheels to silver. Just couldn't do the black.

Bike
2009 ST1300
A friend of mine had that GSX1000, and personally I wouldn't look out the window to see one, but I think it's an excellent bike for reasons mentioned; if ergonomically it fits me that would be the big deal, what I thought about when I saw it was the geometry of it, center of gravity, wheel base, rake seating position seemed to make you want to ride it.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Not that familiar with the bike, but just read a review on the rider magazine's website. Good specs. Seating position a little cramped (knee angle) as far as I can tell. Was trying to compare it to my own sport-tourer.

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
One question comes to mind. First, do you have to have a brand new bike? There are a lot of options out there if you don't need to buy it with 0 miles.

We tend to think we can only get a "sport touring" bike if it weighs 600+ lbs and has enough horsepower to move that bulk nicely. I had my heart set for years to get an FJR or an ST. Then I test rode a BMW F800GT. A couple weeks later, I still had it on my my mind and asked my wife if I decided to buy it, if that would be okay. She said she was against it, but knew I'd do it anyway. ;) :D So I did.

That's a long way to say that you may be pleasantly surprised with a bike that weighs 470lbs wet...and can still tour easily. I have over 90K on mine now, and it wouldn't be that many miles if I didn't find it capable of touring.

Chris
I couldn't find the BMW F800GT on the BMW site, did they drop that model ?
I checked the specs on the Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT , at 33"seat height it's too much for my 5' 8" inseam and difficult for my wife on/off.
Saturday we visited an Indian dealer in Worcester for a Scout sit on and info. I'm still on the fence about what to do but will see if I can get a test ride soon on the Scout, both solo and two up. Indian dealer feels the larger models would better suit us for two up, but he is not getting my wanting less bike weight and my wife needs lower seat heights for getting on/off.
FOLLOW UP on Indian Scout test ride:

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Yes, BMW dropped the F800GT in 2017. So like the ST models, you're looking at an out of production bike now.

If you have to buy new...well, you'll need to look elsewhere. I think there are some great positives in buying used. For instance, my bike was owned by a retired cardiologist who has more money to spend than he knew what to do with. I got my bike for about $5K less than a brand new model, with no differences in the bikes...

...except mine had $3K of modifications done to it and was less than the Kelley Blue Book price. There were no differences in the models over the years till the last year when they went to ride by wire. Oh, and mine had both the initial 600 mile service done and an "annual" service done because he hadn't ridden it.

New, the MSRP was about $12.5K plus dealer prep and transportation. Used, they are running for about $5-7K with very few miles.

Chris

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
Would appreciate your opinions on the new Suzuki GSX- S1000GT+ . At now 80 years old I could appreciate a 521 pound bike (wet).
It has a few pluses in the current July RIDER issue: besides being 200 pounds lighter, it has 136 hp, rides well, led lights, adequate side cases. And it’s a SPORT-TOURER
I would sure miss my adjustable wind shield, adj. headlight height, drive shaft, etc.
Just a thought - What’s yours ?
WOW! Kudos to you, 80 years old and considering the GSX-S1000GT! I wouldn't consider one due to the ergonomics of the bike and I'm only 52. I always look to http://cycle-ergo.com/ when I want to compare bikes to the great ST.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The K1600B w/top box might fit the height issues. It's on the heavy side but I doubt you'll feel the weight, the wing being another option of course.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
...It's on the heavy side but I doubt you'll feel the weight...
The first year I went to Spearfish, I needed a tire change. While waiting for the bike to be ready, I sat on one of the Harlys in the showroom, just to get a feel for what the hype was all about. After a minute or so, I lifted the bike off the sidestand and screamed in my head, "Oh My Gosh!!! You mean people actually do this many times a day?!!?!?!"

700+ lbs, plus gear is still a lot of weight.

Chris

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Reviving a thread from the dead, I took a brief 20 minute ride on the GSX-S1000GT today. For context I also ride a Yamaha MT-10 and my ST. I thought the Suzuki might be the perfect blend of both but it turns out, not so much. The ride position is a bit canted forward, and the pegs are higher than my other bikes, the seat shape was good if a little narrow; knee pain is something that I suffer from, so not a great start. Wind protection was not great with wind hitting just at the bottom of my helmet. The engine is quite coarse sounding even compared to my Yamaha. Did not have the Yamaha's low and mid-range stomp, but certainly got going when the revs were up. Seemed to handle nicely enough and the brakes were good.

I was hoping for a more premium-feeling experience, but the engine left me a bit cold, and after that I sort of lost interest.

Bike
VStrom 650
Reviving a thread from the dead, I took a brief 20 minute ride on the GSX-S1000GT today. For context I also ride a Yamaha MT-10 and my ST. I thought the Suzuki might be the perfect blend of both but it turns out, not so much. The ride position is a bit canted forward, and the pegs are higher than my other bikes, the seat shape was good if a little narrow; knee pain is something that I suffer from, so not a great start. Wind protection was not great with wind hitting just at the bottom of my helmet. The engine is quite coarse sounding even compared to my Yamaha. Did not have the Yamaha's low and mid-range stomp, but certainly got going when the revs were up. Seemed to handle nicely enough and the brakes were good.

I was hoping for a more premium-feeling experience, but the engine left me a bit cold, and after that I sort of lost interest.
Terry,
From what I'm reading the new VStrom 800 looks an interesting bike. It's getting good reviews and the press are saying it's made the 1050 redundant. Seats on adventure (?) bikes do tend to be too narrow at the front, I get that for the vertically challenged as it assists with flat footing. My 650 seat had to grow a lot over the winter to make it comfy for longer rides. Plus the pegs are 1" lower than standard.
Enjoy your search.
Upt.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I took my MT-10 out for a comparative ride today to verify how I thought that compared to the Suzuki. It feels much lighter, the ride position is better, wind protection about the same, seat comfort is better (I have the Yamaha comfort seat). Then you get to the motor and it is game over; the CP4 is a fabulous engine, characterful, refined, instant, thrusting and slightly menacing, all the things that I like in a 1000cc four! It is glass smooth when cruising, and gives v-twin like pulsing when the taps are opened, with a great soundtrack. The only thing I don't like on my MT is the front suspension, it is fancy Ohlins semi-active but does not like short, sharp jolts like seal edges or bridge joints. The Suzuki felt a bit soul-less and dull by comparison.IMG_3618 (1).JPG

Top Bottom