Harley finally did it !!!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
George have you ever owned a Harley? Have you ever went to one of their dealers just to get parts or ask questions or God forbid, need to use their service? My Fatboy was a good bike, ran great and I liked riding it. However, I will never buy another Harley or any Harley paraphernalia.

I don't have much use for a bike that can only be ridden from my house to a bar. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when I was told that every 25K miles you need to replace the lifters. To me that means every year and a half I have to do major engine repair.
I've never owned a Harley, but put many miles on'em while employed by them as a test rider. The engine in this bike is sourced from the XB Buells, not exactly like an old iron head.

Also, our local Harley Dealer (Mother Road Harley) is also the Honda/Yamah dealer, not exclusive. In my experience, Harley dealers are like all other brands, some good, some bad.

As to the lifters, never heard that. They are hydraulic, for all purposes identical to a GM v8. How many miles can be put on those?

Harley still doesn't make anything for my money, but this comes closer than anything they've built in a loooooooooong time.

<edit> Need to add, by "we" I mean main stream Japanese bike owners, as opposed to stereotypical pirates. Not meaning ST-Riders.

My opinion,

Last edited:
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I can't believe HD isn't going to market that motorcycle in the USA!!! There are only a couple of HD's that catch my eye and that Sporster is one. The FXDX is another, but I don't think I can handle a cruiser. I would have to go buy all new clothes!!! And a pickup truck!!!

The lifters are hydraulic so I had the same issues at trying to understand how they can go at 25K miles. I applied the same Chevy logic to it. However their lifters are also rollers and they have little bearings in them. These can come out of the lifter and make their way into the bottom end, thus destroying the engine.

The current "Rider" magazine came with a big HD pullout ad for their new touring line-up. They "solved" the heat problem from the rear cylinder by installing a rider-controlled switch to deactivate the rear cyclinder in slow traffic. This is such an elegant engineering solution that I expect Honda to install a similar switch on the ST. :rolleyes:

Bike
Goldwing
In case they read the forums, I say this version should be in the States. It would reach across Party li...sorry, reach other parts of the Bike market. The typical US Sportsters haven't been appreciated by a number of people I know.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
The current "Rider" magazine came with a big HD pullout ad for their new touring line-up. They "solved" the heat problem from the rear cylinder by installing a rider-controlled switch to deactivate the rear cyclinder in slow traffic. This is such an elegant engineering solution that I expect Honda to install a similar switch on the ST. :rolleyes:
<side giggle> To get the same effect on an ST1100, unplug the left bank carbs from their boots. It'll idle on two but run fine once the slides provide some suction.

DAMHIK!!!! :D

Last edited:
STOC #
That H-D reminds me a lot of my neighbor's 1977 H-D Cafe racer (just use a flat black exhaust and lower the bars a bit. zIt was a nice looking bike.
It may be that the bike won't meet U.S. (and California) emissions. Why go through the excercise of getting the bike smog legal here if it is a sales bust?

Bike
Goldwing
OK, SlighTly related to Harley...a friend wrote to say he got a new FLHT (I think). I didn't wanna write back to ask, so y'all get this. Which Bike is the FLHT?:confused::D

1200 cc 85-90 at the crank Hp,air cooled, constant engine vibration,probaly overpriced.
The only time a HD vibrates is at idle, once they are off idle they are VERY smooth. The bike is priced less than a Duc Monster and more than a CBR600RR. Thats priced about right in my opinion. Whats with all the Harley Bashing on this site? I still get the feeling most people that bash them have never touched one. :(

Top Bottom