Has anyone on the forum here actually had a OEM timing belt failure?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Sounds electrical to me. I would check the sidestand switch, bypass it, to see if the bike will start. Also check the red connector at the main relay to see that it isn’t compromised.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Someone named Paul is doing a Buyers' Guide thread on this site, for the ST1100 Series.

It contains the statement (in its first post) that reportedly no ST1100 timing belts have failed so far.
Few moons back (STOCK email-liST) someone posted pics of a t/belt gone haywire; threads and strings everywhere, wrapped over every single shaft, pulley, nook and cranny in there...
Would that have been posted on the American ST-Riders.net site?

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Few moons back (STOCK email-liST) someone posted pics of a t/belt gone haywire, threads and strings everywhere, wrapped over every single shaft, pulley, nook and cranny in there...
Was that failure caused by a seized water pump or pulley? I can't say for sure, but I think the few known failures involving timing belts concluded that the timing belt was collateral damage from some other failure.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Someone named Paul is doing a Buyers' Guide thread on this site, for the ST1100 Series.

If I recall correctly, it contains the statement (in its first post) that reportedly two ST1100 timing belts have failed so far.
I stated that there were no known belt failures. AFAIK, that's still true, i.e the belt as the primary failure, but I'm relatively new here. I have heard of a few belt failures that were due to water pump bearing failure. If anyone knows of actual belt failures as the primary cause, please post up... I'd like to update my post in that thread.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
I stated that there were no known belt failures. AFAIK, that's still true, i.e the belt as the primary failure, but I'm relatively new here. I have heard of a few belt failures that were due to water pump bearing failure. If anyone knows of actual belt failures as the primary cause, please post up... I'd like to update my post in that thread.
I corrected my post above to read no known belt failures yet.
Thanks, Paul.

have put timing belt back on lined up all timing marks to manual hooked up spark plugs turned motor over by hand there was no meshing then hit stater motor turning motor over and over no go skirted start ya bastard into carbs all its doing is back firing out the carbs must be valve timing is out don't no this wa a water pump seized the belt never came of the cogs

Last edited:
I suppose someone has to be first Lawrence, sorry to hear of your woes.
We'll all want to know, miles, age, usage, original belts etc.
Upt'North.
have pulled it apart water pump seized belt never came off fitted new water pump made big mistakes listened to another mate and turned the cam sprockets lined up all timing marks with a new belt now it back firing out the carbs when I squirt start ya bastard its got to be valve timing is out

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Compression test to check and be sure no valves got bent when the water pump seized ?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
made big mistakes listened to another mate and turned the cam sprockets lined up all timing marks with a new belt now it back firing out the carbs
there have been several threads over the years regarding the confusion about the alignment "lines" and "punch marks" on the cams. If you're not familiar with that topic, then that is probably your next step to check. It only involves removal of the valve covers and the little crank timing cover.

I had a Civic wagon that broke the belt a few K miles after the proscribed mileage, so my bad. Yes, a couple of valves bent.
I had a Civic wagon that also shredded the belt slightly over the recommended interval. Bent valves, etc, and a dealer who got the timing wrong, first time. I’ve changed two belts myself since then; Lexus LS430, and my current ST1100, without issues. Changed ST belt last week at 75,000mi. Low miles, I know, but a possibly 19 year old belt ( no records) is essentially a time bomb waiting to go bang. Changed two pulleys too and the tensioner spring. Left the water pump alone as they are now £245. Water pump bearing felt good. Idler and tensioner had slight play, so cheap insurance for the next 90,000mi.

Yep, checked the belt while checking the valves. Valves checked in spec and belt looked good. Current miles around 73,500 - normally with a Goldwing I'd go ahead and put belts on but I'm thinking about just bolting the plastic back on the ST1100 and waiting till 100,000 miles like I've read that Uncle Phil does. (Yes, I understand that would be my gamble)
“Belt looked good”. NEVER let a positive visual inspection “prove” to you a belt is ok. The two belts I have changed looked excellent. All the markings could be read, the tiny cross hatches on the toothed side were pristine, yet they were both old, one documented over mileage and the other, well, no records but suspected original at 76,000 miles and probably 20 years of age. Once you’re in there, change the belt, it’s ultra cheap insurance, my belt cost £11, and unbelievable peace of mind. Nothing like being miles from home wondering if your belt is too old or over mileage.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
“Belt looked good”. NEVER let a positive visual inspection “prove” to you a belt is ok. The two belts I have changed looked excellent. All the markings could be read, the tiny cross hatches on the toothed side were pristine, yet they were both old, one documented over mileage and the other, well, no records but suspected original at 76,000 miles and probably 20 years of age. Once you’re in there, change the belt, it’s ultra cheap insurance, my belt cost £11, and unbelievable peace of mind. Nothing like being miles from home wondering if your belt is too old or over mileage.
Ain't going to worry about mine sitting at 81K with original belt. My plan is at 100K to maybe replace it but other than that i ride with confidence.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well actually you were the beta tester for all of us. I figured if yours was doing good at that mileage it was good enough for me.
Not that I would crank the wick or run them hard by any chance .... ;)
My 'latest' one is a 2001 with around 56,000+ miles and I have no plan on changing that original belt til it reaches 100,000 miles.

Ain't going to worry about mine sitting at 81K with original belt. My plan is at 100K to maybe replace it but other than that i ride with confidence.
I don’t doubt these belts are good for 100,000 miles, it age that worries me. A belt is some sort of rubber and fibres to prevent stretch. These belts bend backwards and forwards over the various pulleys. Basically they bend back and forth millions of times in their life. Add to that the constant heat and cold cycles, and bending in cold weather, I’m astounded they last as long as they do. Original belt on a bike that is at least 20 years old???!!! I wouldn’t have your confidence.

Top Bottom