Has anyone on the forum here actually had a OEM timing belt failure?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I don’t doubt these belts are good for 100,000 miles, it age that worries me. A belt is some sort of rubber and fibres to prevent stretch. These belts bend backwards and forwards over the various pulleys. Basically they bend back and forth millions of times in their life. Add to that the constant heat and cold cycles, and bending in cold weather, I’m astounded they last as long as they do. Original belt on a bike that is at least 20 years old???!!! I wouldn’t have your confidence.
that all sounds logical until you remove a 20 year old one and hold it in your hands next to a brand new one, they look and feel almost identical.

Bike
2000 ST1100
“Belt looked good”. NEVER let a positive visual inspection “prove” to you a belt is ok. The two belts I have changed looked excellent. All the markings could be read, the tiny cross hatches on the toothed side were pristine, yet they were both old, one documented over mileage and the other, well, no records but suspected original at 76,000 miles and probably 20 years of age. Once you’re in there, change the belt, it’s ultra cheap insurance, my belt cost £11, and unbelievable peace of mind. Nothing like being miles from home wondering if your belt is too old or over mileage.
I don’t doubt these belts are good for 100,000 miles, it age that worries me. A belt is some sort of rubber and fibres to prevent stretch. These belts bend backwards and forwards over the various pulleys. Basically they bend back and forth millions of times in their life. Add to that the constant heat and cold cycles, and bending in cold weather, I’m astounded they last as long as they do. Original belt on a bike that is at least 20 years old???!!! I wouldn’t have your confidence.
Imho I think oil and fluids are a major reason belts break also. In a closed up enviornment the ST1100 tooth belt is somewhat shieled from most dirt debris and oil. Honda says inspection at 60K and replacement at 90K. Also they don't list an age when to replace as I recall. Some on here has owned their 1100's longer than me and when they say 100K is good and they have not had a failure I tend to believe them. That being said you were wise to replace if you are in there. But I think the last time I asked I asked a Honda dealer I was told $800.00 us dollars so no it would be a total waste of money to change it before 100K to me.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
that all sounds logical until you remove a 20 year old one and hold it in your hands next to a brand new one, they look and feel almost identical.
I've got three 'used' ones hanging on my wall and a brand new and if I laid them all out, it would be interesting if anyone could pick which one was new. ;)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I think th
I asked a Honda dealer I was told $800.00 us dollars so no it would be a total waste of money to change it before 100K to me.
Each time I had it done they charged me actual time it took them to do the job. 2.25 hrs. I removed all the Tupperware before I brought it in. The bill was around $200 plus the cost of the belt.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just an interesting point - I wonder if Mother Honda 'dates' the new ones so you can be assured you are getting a fresh one and not a ten year old one?
I've got one in the Honda packaging so I'll just have to check that when I get back to the Holler this evening. ;)

Bike
2000 ST1100
I think th

Each time I had it done they charged me actual time it took them to do the job. 2.25 hrs. I removed all the Tupperware before I brought it in. The bill was around $200 plus the cost of the belt.
Our dealer is at 140.00 an hour here. He had other stuff on there too that needed replacement. I never had it done because this is the same dealer that overcharges me for my coolant changes....mentioned a valve clearance check too. In the US over here overcharging is quite the norm.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Given the scarcity of ST1100s, I wouldn't suspect they work on so many of them that they get very good at changing timing belts in record time. So, you got a great deal. I'm curious if you received the old belt when they were finished with the work.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
In the US over here overcharging is quite the norm.
The automotive industry doesn’t think it is overcharging, if the book says 2 hours and they do it in half that you still pay for 2 they say that you are paying for their experience, if it takes them an extra hour they charge for that because you are paying for their time. Always seemed like a bit of a con to me.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The automotive industry doesn’t think it is overcharging, if the book says 2 hours and they do it in half that you still pay for 2 they say that you are paying for their experience, if it takes them an extra hour they charge for that because you are paying for their time. Always seemed like a bit of a con to me.
I wish that I had that deal when I worked flat-rate!
If it took me one hour for a two hour job, I was paid two hours.
If it took me three hours, or more, I was still paid two hours.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Given the scarcity of ST1100s, I wouldn't suspect they work on so many of them that they get very good at changing timing belts in record time. So, you got a great deal. I'm curious if you received the old belt when they were finished with the work.
Yes I got the old one back. It's a family run Honda dealership, One brother is the salesman he owned the ST's and the other the mechanic. At the time they were done, the hourly rate was close to $80/hr Canadian. They are now at $104/hr.
I will get the 2002 replaced in the fall when my riding season is over. By that time I will have 120k kms on it.
I have a Gates replacement belt and the OEM tensioners already on hand. I may consider getting the coolant hoses replaced at the same time as they have not been done on my 2002.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
IIRC, the spec says change at 90,000 so I don't think it's much of a gamble to wait until 100,000. ;-) I've have had two changed at 100,000 and they both look as good as what replaced them. Got one that is about to be changed - it's sitting at 96,000 right now. :D
What cracks me up is that i called Honda International a year or so ago and no one could tell me how long a belt lasts time wise. All they could say was about the miles, and they seemed pretty soft on that! And, here we are with a bunch of guys riding bikes approx 25 yrs old and the belts appear to be doing fine. By golly miss molly! I’d call that pretty good quality!

Bike
2000 ST1100
I wish that I had that deal when I worked flat-rate!
If it took me one hour for a two hour job, I was paid two hours.
If it took me three hours, or more, I was still paid two hours.
well when I ordered my light bulb for my 1100 it was $35.00 for the bulb and probably 1 hour at 140.00 for the labor for a total of 175.00 plus. If you can't work on your bike yourself you can't afford it. But I did the install myself.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
well when I ordered my light bulb for my 1100 it was $35.00 for the bulb and probably 1 hour at 140.00 for the labor for a total of 175.00 plus. If you can't work on your bike yourself you can't afford it.
Its more economical if you can work on it yourself, but that doesn't mean you can't afford it if you don't. And any other bike you own would cost the same to have someone else rip you off work on it for you.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
well when I ordered my light bulb for my 1100 it was $35.00 for the bulb and probably 1 hour at 140.00 for the labor for a total of 175.00 plus. If you can't work on your bike yourself you can't afford it. But I did the install myself.
I'm not seeing the connection between this and my statement.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Its more economical if you can work on it yourself, but that doesn't mean you can't afford it if you don't. And any other bike you own would cost the same to have someone else rip you off work on it for you.
yep. I hear you some can afford it but it kills me to pay for work I can do and have the time to do. Like last weekend finally changed out my leaky valve cover gasket on my old Toyota. Probably saved a good 300 dollars doing it myself. When the time comes I have a member here that has changed his T belt and he said he would help me to. But again he did it for piece of mind.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I think it was my Pinto 2.3 engine, okay, I had a ... anyway truly horrible over square engine that was known for broken pistons, anyway... anyway there were if I recall, plastic components to shield the belt from oil / debris / ect, mine had somehow become damaged through some other misadventure or neglect and oil got on the belt. The belt frayed toward one end, but never broke.
My 92 Honda that I sold at 328 or 385 [can't remember] went one interval with I think 140 k / 90k miles [?] between changing, every time I could detect zero stretch or cog break down.
In HVAC we change a lot of belts; upwards of 95 percent require no adjustment at all; matched sets seem to be a concern of the past; nearly every belt from any given manufacturer holds it's outer diameter irrespective of condition, only losing it's pitch diameter as material is destroyed.
It takes a monster motor [constant torque / fast synchronous speed ] and many across the line starts to actually break a belt now. There was a manufacturing point where they became quite remarkable.

Top Bottom