Have I told you how much I love Riding Colorado?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a little X300 Versys, and also a V-Strom 650 for the dirt. Rode all the dirt all in my younger years with a KLR650 and a DR650. Don't do much 4x4 jeep trails anymore just, a few county dirt roads. It hurts when I fall down.
It hurts me too, so my plan is to continue to learn how NOT to fall down.
I figger with a big ole fat GSA, it's large enough to take the fall, and I'll just step off it, when it has to go down.
That's the "plan", anyway, and y'all already know how my plans go.
But I've also decided that waiting a "couple more years" at my age isn't going to improve my chances, know what I mean?
With all that I read about us "experienced" riders, there may come a time when I'm forced to go smaller. Even here on st-owners, we've seen those threads.
So it's like, "when is the best time to plant a tree?" Answer: 10 years ago.
"When is the second best time to plant a tree?" Answer: today.
It's an allegory, folks, a parable if you will, a metaphor. I'm not gonna really plant a tree...

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
test drove one years ago ...no. lacks power, screems at slab speeds. It would be ok riding Colorado side roads but living in Colorado I would prefer something to take on dirt roads also.1686525214818.png
So what bikes do u like in the 750 range for tours lasting less than a month?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Spent most of the afternoon watching guys tackle Black Bear Pass on YouTube.
I'm convinced if you don't get off the tarmac in CO, you're missing much - if not MOST - of what it has to offer.
I'll have my will updated before I ride my GSA over Black Bear.
And I still may never do it... those steps on the back side, going down to Telluride, should be reserved for the likes of Ned Suesse, Bret Tcaks, Jimmy Lewis or Chris Birch.
I actually haven't found any videos of GSs trying it, although one guy did it on a KTM 1290, and it kept overheating. 3 friends did a series of CO Rockies videos on their GSs, but they agreed to pass on riding that pass, after scouting the first mile.
I'll call Jim Hyde and get his opinion.

Bike
R1200rt
Spent most of the afternoon watching guys tackle Black Bear Pass on YouTube.
I'm convinced if you don't get off the tarmac in CO, you're missing much - if not MOST - of what it has to offer.
I'll have my will updated before I ride my GSA over Black Bear.
And I still may never do it... those steps on the back side, going down to Telluride, should be reserved for the likes of Ned Suesse, Bret Tcaks, Jimmy Lewis or Chris Birch.
I actually haven't found any videos of GSs trying it, although one guy did it on a KTM 1290, and it kept overheating. 3 friends did a series of CO Rockies videos on their GSs, but they agreed to pass on riding that pass, after scouting the first mile.
I'll call Jim Hyde and get his opinion.
I did some roads around Telluride on a carburated XL250 in the 80's. Lots of rocks made it difficult and I was much younger at the time. Was at the top of Bridel Vail Falls 2x. Black Bear is nasty and dangerous. I was told this By the Mayor of Telluride Who was a good friend of my dad at the time. There are many passes with varring degrees of difficulties that would test your skills before hitting the crazy ones. Those passes are just as scenic and should be satisfying. The Colorado back road adventure route maps trails and bypasses around difficult passes if chosing to do so. Besides best laid plans can be detoured by weather. Are you planning this year?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Those passes are just as scenic and should be satisfying. The Colorado back road adventure route maps trails and bypasses around difficult passes if chosing to do so. Besides best laid plans can be detoured by weather. Are you planning this year?
I'll need massive amounts of seat time and peg time (standing) on the big GSA before I even entertain the idea. And I have yet to fetch it from Kalifornistan; not enough time.
I posted similar in the Riding forum over on ADVrider, and said "there's probably a good reason I haven't found any YouTube videos of GSs coming down the steps on the back side of Black Bear pass."
I could see a Chris Birch doing it, and a select few other pro riders, but one mistake in a number of areas would be a quick death.
Seen KTM 790s, one KTM 1290 SA, and several smaller 250/350s succeed. Even then, it is horrifically sketchy in some critical parts, with a vertical face on the left from which there would be no recovery. Truly taking one's life in one's hands.
But people, even on *gasp!* motorcycles, defy death all the time, in many different ways.

Bike
R1200rt
I'll need massive amounts of seat time and peg time (standing) on the big GSA before I even entertain the idea. And I have yet to fetch it from Kalifornistan; not enough time.
I posted similar in the Riding forum over on ADVrider, and said "there's probably a good reason I haven't found any YouTube videos of GSs coming down the steps on the back side of Black Bear pass."
I could see a Chris Birch doing it, and a select few other pro riders, but one mistake in a number of areas would be a quick death.
Seen KTM 790s, one KTM 1290 SA, and several smaller 250/350s succeed. Even then, it is horrifically sketchy in some critical parts, with a vertical face on the left from which there would be no recovery. Truly taking one's life in one's hands.
But people, even on *gasp!* motorcycles, defy death all the time, in many different ways.
I have seen videos of a GS doing it falling multiple times. Usually someone helping to pick up the bike. If your going solo better get a smaller bike. I would try some other easier passes first. You can do a number of passes in a week. Souds like you need a case car.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have seen videos of a GS doing it falling multiple times. Usually someone helping to pick up the bike.
If you come across this again, please PM me with some links.
I've been looking specifically for GS attempts, haven't found them. I've seen "similar" GS trips, but not on Black Bear Pass.
I'll definitely not hit BBP as an early foray.
That would be a coup' de gras, not the "let's just give this a go and see what happens."

Bike
R1200rt
If you come across this again, please PM me with some links.
I've been looking specifically for GS attempts, haven't found them. I've seen "similar" GS trips, but not on Black Bear Pass.
I'll definitely not hit BBP as an early foray.
That would be a coup' de gras, not the "let's just give this a go and see what happens."
HOLY CRAP!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Good luck to anyone who attempts that Pass. They will certainly need it!
While we often quip "I'd rather be lucky than good", I'm of a firm belief if you don't have lots of experience and supreme confidence, some mad offroad skillz on a big ADV bike, INCLUDING steep downhills on loose terrain, you're toast.
Or worse, pancaked at the bottom of a sheer cliff hundreds of feet below the trail you just biffed.
I'm now reading more accounts of GS pilots who claim to have done it, just not very many actual videos of same.
At the same time, from what I see, the last thing you're gonna be doing is futzing around with some stupid camera while your life depends on every move and every correct line down the mountain.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I have a good friend that use to ride the Colorado 500 out of Ouray. He did Black Bear on a R100GSPD BMW way back when. He stripped the bike as much as he could but left the 9 gallon tank on the bike. He only filled it up about half way for that ride. My buddy was an excellent mountain rider. A good jeep tail pass to start with would be Hagerman Pass or Cimarron Pass. Or Mosquito Pass, or Webster Pass into Red Cone Pass. Conquer these and a few others (There are many dirt passes) before you try Engineer Pass or Black Bear. Here are a few pictures of my pass riding on my R100GSPD, KLR650 and DR650s. Of course I was a bit younger back then. The DR and the KLR are the bikes one wants for the Back Country Passes. It is a lot steeper and rockier than the pictures portray. Mountain 4x4 pass riding is a lot different than trail riding at the lower altitude trails back east.

07-30-2012 02;39;11PM.jpg07-30-2012 02;44;53PM.jpg07-30-2012 02;46;08PM.jpg

IMGP3142.JPGIMGP3147.JPGIMG_1366.JPGIMG_1370.JPG

Bike
R1200rt
I have a good friend that use to ride the Colorado 500 out of Ouray. He did Black Bear on a R100GSPD BMW way back when. He stripped the bike as much as he could but left the 9 gallon tank on the bike. He only filled it up about half way for that ride. My buddy was an excellent mountain rider. A good jeep tail pass to start with would be Hagerman Pass or Cimarron Pass. Or Mosquito Pass, or Webster Pass into Red Cone Pass. Conquer these and a few others (There are many dirt passes) before you try Engineer Pass or Black Bear. Here are a few pictures of my pass riding on my R100GSPD, KLR650 and DR650s. Of course I was a bit younger back then. The DR and the KLR are the bikes one wants for the Back Country Passes. It is a lot steeper and rockier than the pictures portray. Mountain 4x4 pass riding is a lot different than trail riding at the lower altitude trails back east.

/QUOTE]
That loose rock is nasty stuff ... Like that dr650, the new ones are fuel injected, big plus in that high altitude. By the way. great pics.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Chuck mentioned Engineers Pass, another I wish to ride.
I have another internet / never-met friend who rode Engineers in the 80s, on a KZ650 with street tires when he was in high school. Cinnamon Pass on the same bike.
We don't know what we don't know, right?
He was from Detroit, and had never been to CO.
And remember, everything is impossible until someone does it.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Eyes up, look ahead.
Yeah, that IS treacherous and scary, just imagine that on a 1250 GS/A. The "steps" as they're called are narrow and deceptively steep, and from what I have seen on video, are the most challenging (read DANGEROUS.)
Don't know that I'll ever feel confident enough to try it, but who knows?
1200s have done it, but safe to say... it's not for the faint of heart.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Got up this morning and decided to take the V-Strom out for a Ride on Terryall Reservoir Rd. Highway 77. Left the house about 07:00 hrs. and headed out Highway 285 to Jefferson CO. on the other side of Kenosha Pass. it tops out at 10000 ft. Stopped at Jefferson for a cup of warmup coffee before turning south on 77 Terryall Reservoir Rd. 41 miles of beautiful scenery and smooth, no traffic, sweeper, pavement. It has been a while since I have ridden this route. The morning started out a bit cool but did warm up a bunch on my way home across Denver. Onward to Highway 24 to Woodland Park and then 67 to Deckers for lunch and coffee. From there on up over Rampart range and in to the City. A bit warm crossing Denver at 87 Degrees. Great ride of 230 miles and many more smiles. The V-Strom purred along smooth and effortless. Here are a few pictures along Terryall Rd. If you are in the area this is a must ride. I favor riding it from South to North, although, today I rode Terryall in the opposite direction. Either way it is a beautiful ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/43Q2Dhsz1VTVsrL29

SAM_7530.JPGSAM_7532.JPGSAM_7535.JPGSAM_7538.JPGSAM_7539.JPGSAM_7541.JPGSAM_7545.JPGSAM_7546.JPG

Top Bottom