Have I told you how much I love Riding Colorado?

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Recently there was a rockslide up in ST. Vrain Canyon. This is one of the best canyons to ride along the front range. Highway 7 out of Lyons, Colorado climbs about 28 miles up to the intersection of Highway 7 and 72, Peak to Peak Highway. It is a great ride up the canyon. So today I decided to go ride up there and check out to see if the canyon was open to traffic. I left the house today about 7:45 and jumped on the freeway headed to Boulder and then Highway 36 to Lyons. Rode through Lyons and then up Highway 7 for about a mile. Road was closed. No riding the canyon today. Turned around and then headed up to Estes Park via highway 36.
This early morning, it was beautiful….blue sky, lush green fields and meadows, crisp clean air. We have had a lot of rain lately so the vegetation is full, green and glistened in the early morning sun.
Once I arrived in Estes I decided to ride down Devils Gulch to Glenn Haven to check out the Glenn Haven Country Store. Lots of people there enjoying the fantastic sweet rolls that they sell. Too crowed for me to partake in the Sweet Rolls, besides I really don’t need all those calories. Headed back up to Estes Park and the up Highway 7 to Peak to Peak Highway. Beautiful ride with some great sweepers. The pavement from Estes to Nederland was excellent. Smooth with no sand or gravel and very little traffic. Once in Nederland I stopped for coffee at the “The Train Cars” for a riding break and a cup of normal coffee. The folks in Nederland are some interesting people. From there I rode on to the turn off to Golden Gate Canyon and descended down the canyon to Golden and across town to home. 206 miles total ride. The only negative was the wind was quite blusterous today, however the FJR handled it just fine.
https://goo.gl/maps/URkgYGbFD5zfvUBZ6

On Highway 7 descending into Estes Park, around the bend
SAM_7551.JPG

On the Devil's Gulch Rd. on the way to Glenn Haven
SAM_7553.JPG

Dropping down into Devil's Gulch. The road is steeper than it looks in the photo
SAM_7554.JPG

The best sweat rolls can be bought here.
SAM_7556.JPG

A view from Devil's Gulch Rd. looking west at the Continental Divide
SAM_7558.JPG

Another view

SAM_7559.JPG

riding along Devil's Gulch Rd
SAM_7562.JPG

Another shot further down the road.
SAM_7563.JPG

Saint Malo's Chapel on the Rock in Allenspark, Colorado
SAM_7564.JPG

Another view with Long's Peak in the background
SAM_7565.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
First of the Trifecta rides of 2023
Some of you may remember me mentioning, last year about my Trifecta Ride. Each year I try and get up to Trail Ridge Rd RMNP (12,183ft), Mt Evans (14264ft) and Pikes Peak. (14110ft). Today I decided to head out for the first ride of my Trifecta, Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain national Park. Because of the reservation system that is in effect, I left the house at 05:30 to be able to enter the Park before the reservation times started at 09:00. I arrived at the entrance to the park at 07:15 and there was a line of about 30 vehicles waiting to get in. I thought I was an early person.
I also had a secondary mission and that was to ride up St. Vrain Canyon. CDOT had finally got it the road (Highway 7) cleared out from the landslide back in early June. What a beautiful ride up the canyon at 6:30 in the morning. There was new fresh pavement the complete 14 miles from Lyons, Colorado to the intersection of Highway 7 and 72 at the top of the canyon. No traffic in front of me at 06:30 in the morning on a beautiful sunny, blue day. The big Kawasaki Versys that I rode today carved the sweeper turns effortlessly. The sun glistening off the St. Vrain River thru the pine trees, and the beautiful contrast of the green trees, and gray stone cliffs of the canyon walls against the blue sky was just magical. This was one portion of my ride today that could have gone on forever. I enjoyed it so much that I rode the canyon again on the way home. Then continued on Peak To Peak Highway into the town of Estas Park and the entrance of RMNP.
Rode up the mountain on Trail Ridge Rd to the Alpine Visitors Center and took a short rest break and then headed back down the mountain. By now it was 09:00 and the tourist were up from there hibernation and flooding the area like locust in a corn field. Time to head down. Rode on back to Estes Park and then took Highway 36 to Lyons and then back up St.Vrain Canyon to the intersection of 7 and 72. Another great ride up the Canyon with no traffic. Here is where I turned south on 72 and rode Peak To Peak Highway to the turn off for Golden Gate Canyon Highway 46. I did behave myself riding down this canyon as the LEOs were out in force today. Passed a Motorcycle crash site where a Harley had low sided in a left hand curve and slid into the guard rail ejecting the ride over the railing and down the cliff. I was not able to stop and take a look and the emergency vehicles were just now arriving. Time to move on. Hopefully the rider is alive and will recover. Be careful and be safe my friends.
Of course I had to take a few pictures along the route. Enjoy. Will try and ride Mt Evens within the next month.

PS: I saw 42 degrees up top this morning and 92 degrees crossing the City this afternoon. 257 miles round trip.

Along Peak To Peak Highway 7

SAM_7575.JPG

On the way up Trail Ridge Rd. Just getting above the tree line.
SAM_7576.JPG

Up on top looking at the continental divide.
SAM_7581.JPG

Looking South along the Divide
SAM_7582.JPG

Along the top of Trail Ridge,
SAM_7584.JPG

Another pull out for another picture of the Big Versys.
SAM_7587.JPG

Alpine Visitors Center at 11,796ft
SAM_7588.JPG

Me, Your Truly
SAM_7592.JPG

On the way back down just at the tree line again.
SAM_7596.JPG

An overlook, looking down in the valley to Estes Park.

SAM_7600.JPG

Approaching the exit to Rocky Mountain National Park, looking west at the Continental Divide
SAM_7604.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The Last Ride on the Little Gray Bike
The last ride on the little X300 before she gets a set of new shoes next week. Going to put Dunlop Trailmax Mission on this time around. Wore out the Mitas E-07 in around 8000 miles. Rode down to my favorite Café' at Deckers. I just love riding along the South Platte River. Took a few pictures along the way.

https://goo.gl/maps/2uLQJ9SaGBnL28cK9

Last stop before the three miles of dirt on a 15% down hill grade on Night Hawk Canyon
SAM_7606.JPG

Today the dirt was hard packed from the rain and traffic yesterday.
SAM_7609.JPG

Enjoying the view from the patio of the Deckers Café
SAM_7611.JPG

The Café'
SAM_7613.JPG

Along the north fork of the South Platte River
SAM_7614.JPG

Another angle
SAM_7618.JPG

Climbing up the 15% grade. It is steeper than what the picture portrays.
SAM_7619.JPG

Back on the Pavement climbing up over Rampart Range.
SAM_7621.JPG

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Chuck, do you have this?
Came in yesterday, recommended to me on ADVrider when I asked if any GS riders had negotiated Black Bear Pass.
I've yet to find a video of a GS/A or GS going up and over and down, although a few claim to have done it.
20230706_190337.jpg

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Yes
Chuck, do you have this?
Came in yesterday, recommended to me on ADVrider when I asked if any GS riders had negotiated Black Bear Pass.
I've yet to find a video of a GS/A or GS going up and over and down, although a few claim to have done it.
20230706_190337.jpg
Yes I do, Great book. I have ridden about 90% of the ride in the book at one time or another in the last 35 years or so.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The Second Trifecta Ride of the year.
Yesterday stared out as most mornings do. Trying to decide if I am going to go for a ride or not. The forecasted temperature for Aurora was 93 degrees. Too hot to think about riding, unless I head to the High Country. I thought “That is an Idea, where to ride to escape the heat. I have not been up to Guanella Pass (11669ft) in a bit so decided that is where I will go. Going to ride the V-Strom 650 today as it had a full tank of gas. I plotted out the route, Highway 285 to Parmelle Gulch Rd. through Indian Hills to Kerr Gulch and then the access roads that parallel I-70 to Georgetown. I headed out around 06:45. Well plans and routes change once on the road and since I was already in Evergreen at the top of Kerr Gulch I decided to ride up over Highway 103 to Echo Lake (10001ft) and then down the mountain and pickup my route at Idaho Springs. I really like the 103 ride as it has some great twist and turns on the way up to the lake. By the way Echo Lake Lodge is also the entry to the road up to the summit of Mt. Evans (14364ft), highest paved road in the country.
To ride up to the summit of Mt. Evans, a reservation is required. I did not have one so I had dismissed that Idea. Also the weather was not looking very good at the top of Mt. Evans. However as I got to the Lodge around 08:15 there were no tourist at the entry shack, so I figured what the hell. All they can do is say “No.” I would see if the ranger might let me ride up without the required reservation. After showing the lady ranger my Veteran’s National Parks Pass, she still insisted that I needed a reservation. I pointed out that there was nobody there and I just wanted to ride to the top and get my pictures and return down the mountain. She relented and I was on my way to accomplish the second ride of my Trifecta Rides for the season. As I gained more altitude the weather was changing for the worse as a large storm cloud surrounded the peak of the mountain. Reaching Summit Lake (12830ft) the rain started in a light drizzle. Thought about turning around but it was only about 1500ft more of altitude to the summit . If I turned around I would have to do this again at a later date, with a Reservation. Onward and upward. Approaching the last set of switchback it started to snow. Temp was 43 degrees with a fairly robust wind. Not a lot of snow just flurries. Once at the summit the storm cloud had moved off a bit and the flurries had stopped but the wind was still present. It was a bit cold with just a liner and summer riding jacket. Got my pictures and started the descent down the mountain. Second Trifecta Ride in the books. Still need to get up to Pikes Peak (14110ft) to finish the Trifecta for the season. Maybe later this month or Aug.
I was on my way down by 0915 with still plenty of time to ride Guanella Pass and be home by early afternoon. Followed my original route parallel I-70 to Georgetown. This is where the ascent to Guanella Pass starts. I enjoy this road, county road 118, another twist and turns as it gains altitude. In a past lifetime this route was dirt. Riding it was a real adventure. But today to appease the hikers and mountain climbers, it has been paved, both north and south side. Always a full parking lot at the top. By now the sun was out and shinning allowing for a beautiful ride. Arrived at the summit, got my pictures and headed down the south side of the pass to Grant on Highway 285. From there it was just a short ride to Conifer where I turned off to ride the rest of the way down Deer Creek Canyon to C-470 and across town to home.
Great ride today 205 miles round trip and got to ride three of my favorite ride routes.
https://goo.gl/maps/A4MGY12b3xD7Pdfd7

Stopped at Indian Hills to put on my liner as it was getting a bit chilly in the foothills.
SAM_7622.JPG

On the way up to Mt Evans.
SAM_7623.JPG

Info Center and out houses just above tree line on the way up to the summit of Mt. Evans

SAM_7625.JPG

All most at 12,000 ft.
SAM_7627.JPG

Beautiful View
SAM_7628.JPG

We don't need no stinking guard rails.
SAM_7631.JPG

At the Summit of Mt. Evans
SAM_7632.JPG

Heading down, looking west
SAM_7633.JPG

Looking back up at the observatory and summit house.
SAM_7634.JPG

The local High Altitude Residence
SAM_7637.JPG

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Pictures Part Two

Back down at Echo Lake. A favorite spot of mine.
SAM_7642.JPG

Of course Me
SAM_7643.JPG

This is the road climbing up to the summit of Guanelle Pass
SAM_7647.JPG

A nice private lake along the climb up
SAM_7648.JPG

Nearing the top
SAM_7651.JPG

The summit sign, but the camera focused on the bike's windshield
SAM_7652.JPG

Another view from the summit of Guenella Pass
SAM_7653.JPG

Bottom of Dear Creek Canyon before heading across town. ( This picture should be the last one. It is out of place)
SAM_7657.JPG

On the way down looking back up to the Pass.
SAM_7656.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The only riding today was the Little Gray Bike rode the table lift today. The Little Gray Bike (Versys X300) is up on the lift for it's 12000 mile service. First thing is getting new shoes. Wheels are at the tire shop having new Dunlop Trailmax Missions mounted. After I get the wheels back and remounted it will be oil change time and what ever else the the 12K mile service requires.

Edit. New tires have been mounted and wheels installed on the bike. Ready to scrub them in tomorrow morning when it is cooler. Too hot right now, 95 Degrees.

SAM_7203.JPGSAM_7205.JPGSAM_7658.JPGSAM_7660.JPGSAM_7661.JPGSAM_7662.JPG

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Today I took a quick ride up to Loveland Pass and back to give the FJR some exercise. Haven't had her out of the garage all month. Been riding my other bikes. Rode some of my favorited back roads to Evergreen and then followed the access roads along I-70 to Georgetown and then I had to run Freeway to the turn off for Loveland Pass. Loveland Pass is the route over the Continental Divide that hazardous material semi tricks have to use instead of going through the Eisenhower / Johnson tunnel on I-70. It is a beautiful ride if one is not stuck behind a semi truck. Very few placed to pass on the east side of the Pass. Easer to pass the trucks on the west side. also this is where Loveland Ski Area is and A-Basin Ski Area. Continuing down the West side takes you to Dillion and Dillion Reservoir. I did not ride all the way down into Dillion I turned around where the twisties ended and headed back up over the Pass again to head back home. I pretty much just retraced my route home. See imbedded Map. Here are some pictures that I took along the way.

https://goo.gl/maps/NzD96hG94cuxDgG49

This is the view coming down Little Cub Rd. into Old Evergreen
SAM_7664.JPG

Summit of Loveland Pass

SAM_7668.JPG

Just more views headed down the west side of the Pass
SAM_7669.JPG

More views
SAM_7672.JPG

Beautiful red FJR1300 with the Continental Divide in the back ground
SAM_7673.JPG

Another view looking into A-Basin Ski Area
SAM_7675.JPG

East side of the Pass looking down on I-70 and the Eisenhower / Johnson Tunnels
SAM_7681.JPG

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Getting the V-Strom ready for an overnight ride. Not sure if I will camp or motel for that night. But will take the camping gear anyway. Plan on leaving Tuesday morning early @ first light. Here is the proposed route, however I reserve the right to modify or change the route completely
Just completed the 20000 miles service on her today and will do the packing tomorrow.
https://goo.gl/maps/z7Qe1rNmpk2qA1WT6

SAM_7698.JPG

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Rollin, Rollin along the River.
Took the little Gray bike (Versys X300) down along the South Platte River for a early Saturday morning ride. Stopped at Deckers for a cup of coffee, hoping I might meet up with some other Colorado Versys X300 riders. No avail, just me today, and then a bunch of noisy Harleys showed up. Time to leave and Go Ride. Here are a few pictures of the ride along the river. Most of the river route was off pavement dirt road. As a side note, the Dunlop Trail Max tires did real good on the dirt. Another beautiful Colorado day. Enjoy.
https://goo.gl/maps/A1v5n4ihzFE6f2ui8

SAM_5422.JPGSAM_7765.JPGSAM_7768.JPGSAM_7769.JPGSAM_7770.JPGSAM_7771.JPGSAM_7772.JPGSAM_7775.JPGSAM_7777.JPGSAM_7779.JPGSAM_7780.JPGSAM_7783.JPG

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's just too gorgeous, you need to stop with the pictures, already.
But don't stop.
I would have loved to pull off the highway today and just fall in that river. Is it as cold as the Snake River?
I rode 200 miles of interstate to swap out a receipt printer - 5 minute job - and it was 94 most of the way, per the dash indicator.
Not complaining, summer will be gone before I know it.
(And yes, I am fully aware some out West are seeing 100+ degrees. Hope you enjoy your summer too!)

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
That's just too gorgeous, you need to stop with the pictures, already.
But don't stop.
I would have loved to pull off the highway today and just fall in that river. Is it as cold as the Snake River?
I rode 200 miles of interstate to swap out a receipt printer - 5 minute job - and it was 94 most of the way, per the dash indicator.
Not complaining, summer will be gone before I know it.
(And yes, I am fully aware some out West are seeing 100+ degrees. Hope you enjoy your summer too!)
Don't know about the Snake River, but this water is still snow melt runoff from the high country. Yes it is cold but a lot of people were out tubing, trout fishing and some kayaking in it today. High temp in Denver was 97. A bit less warm along the river but the water is a bit chilly. Air temps along the river in the early morning shadows was quite cool. And we have relatively very low humidity at our altitudes.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Closed out my Aug. 2023 motorcycle miles with a ride down Forest Service Rd 300 (Rampart Range Road) to Woodland Park. Total Dirt about 60 miles give or take a few. Stopped off at the Airforce Academy's Recreation Center. (Camping, Fishing, Picnicking, etc.) and then dropped down off the Rampart Ridge into Woodland Park. Motored up Highway 67 to Deckers for some Ice Cream and then on home. Total moto miles for Aug is 2127. Total miles for today 158. Took a few pictures.
https://goo.gl/maps/UtVvym6FqLbsVC1A9

Rampart Rd. 300
SAM_7793.JPG

Looking off to the west from a Rocky overlook.

SAM_7795.JPG

The Big Rock Overlook. Was going to ride up on the rock but decided against it.

SAM_7796.JPG

Continuing south along FS 300
SAM_7797.JPG

Pikes Peak
SAM_7798.JPG

Nice view of the little Gray bike X300 with Pikes Peak in the background.
SAM_7800.JPG

The next few pictures are of the Air Force Academy's Rec Area.
SAM_7801.JPG

Nice place, Might have to come up here and rent a cabin for a weekend and just get away from the craziness in the city.
SAM_7802.JPG

Looking for a handout.
SAM_7804.JPG

On the way out of the Rec Area.
SAM_7805.JPG

Another view of Pikes Peak.
SAM_7806.JPG

The entrance to the AF Academy's Rec Area.
SAM_7808.JPG

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Yesterday I headed up to the High Country to do a bit of leave peeping. An annual past time here in Colorado when the Aspen leaves change color. My route was across Denver to Evergreen and up 103, Squaw Pass Rd to Echo Lake. Then down the others side to Idaho Springs and up the freeway to Georgetown and over Guanella Pass, and home on 285. Dropping down to ride Clear Creek canyon to C470 across town. I have ridden this route and posted the ride before on this thread, but here are some pictures of yesterday's ride.

Overlooks on 103 headed up to Echo Lake
SAM_7832.JPGSAM_7835.JPG

Echo Lake
SAM_7845.JPGSAM_7847.JPG

Down the other side to Idaho Springs

SAM_7851.JPG

Overlooking Georgtown
SAM_7854.JPG

On the way up Guanella Pass
SAM_7856.JPGSAM_7858.JPGSAM_7861.JPG

Me at the Summit
SAM_7864.JPGSAM_7866.JPG

Down the backside of Guanella Pass to Highway 285
SAM_7871.JPGSAM_7873.JPG

Nice little cabin in the woods for sale. Might look into it.
SAM_7874.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I rode over Cumbres Pass, Colorado (10006ft) and over La Manga Pass, Colorado (10230ft) on highway 17, on a ride to Chama New Mexico this past weekend. I have not been down south that way in quite a few years. The Fall color changes were just magnificent. Highway 17 is a great ride over the passes. Lots of nice twist and turns. Here are a few pictures of the color change that I took.

SAM_7884.JPGSAM_7886.JPGSAM_7888.JPGSAM_7889.JPGSAM_7894.JPGSAM_7895.JPGSAM_7896.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom