HD Shutting down Buell

Bike
2005 ST13
We could start a "pool" to see how long HD sells Agusta products... That just doesn't seem like its gonna be a long stable relationship.

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
Re: Buell is dead...

I'm not an accountant, so I'm probably reading this wrong. But, for the nine months ending 9/27/2009, it looks like net revenue for Buell/MV Augusta was up by $3.295 million dollars over the same period in 2008. In this economy, I think that's pretty good. I know Buell/MV Augusta are just a drop in the bucket of the overall HD business, but I don't think they were costing the mothership money.

http://investor.shareholder.com/sec/...&CompanyID=HDI
...but profit was probably toast, I wonder why? oh wait, "The decision will result in a reduction over time of about 80 hourly production positions and about 100 non-production, primarily salaried positions. Employment will end for a majority of Buell employees December 18, 2009." ..ya think thay may have had an overhead issue...45% of the company producing, 55% figuring out what they should be producing????!

So..to my '09 ULY...albatross or collectors item?

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Being the creative master that I am, I have a wonderful idea!

Since Rush Limbaugh has backed out of the bid for the St. Louis Rams I think he should grab the Buell Brand and run with it.

I know, I know this is a brilliant idea! Yes?

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
i was patiently waiting for a uly with an 1125 motor. That would have been sweet. Oh well
Your wait is over, I will sell you mine, fitted with a slighly longer crank shaft to reduce the capacity from the current 1200...or you could do it youself if you prefer.

As a recent owner (buy American, support our economy etc etc) I am obviously disappointed to see them go. The Uly is a hoot to ride but mine has had issues (Ulyrider has had MUCH better luck) however warranty service has been second to none...I hope that continues as Erik indicated was the intent in his video.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Re: Buell is dead...

The 80 ASSEMBLY employees doesn't count the many folks in other parts of world (including the Harley and Rotax engine folks) who actually produced the parts. Frame, wheels, motor, instruments, electronics all came from other factories. Those hundred engineers designed the pieces which were then shipped out for production. Only final assembly took place at the Buell plant.

Not to say they didn't have overhead problems, but...

...but profit was probably toast, I wonder why? oh wait, "The decision will result in a reduction over time of about 80 hourly production positions and about 100 non-production, primarily salaried positions. Employment will end for a majority of Buell employees December 18, 2009." ..ya think thay may have had an overhead issue...45% of the company producing, 55% figuring out what they should be producing????!

So..to my '09 ULY...albatross or collectors item?

Bike
2005 ST1300
Give and shut up, quit making it about you and looking for attaboys
I'm pretty sure this addition helped my cause (insert roll eye's here)
didn't know you were looking for your 'cause'

again your anger (and personality = to sandpaper) comes shining through

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
.... let's see... where's my delete button....

TPadden

Tom Padden
I met Erik during bike week (I think it was 98) at Rossmeyer's. A guy walks in and start's talking about a problem he was having with his Buell.

The next thing a well dressed guy who was in the shop asks the Service guy for a tool roll and walks out to the parking lot with the customer. I ask "who's that?" and am told Erik Buell.

I go out to the parking lot to see Erik on his knees, with his hands and shirt dirty, in the heat, working on a stranger's bike. Anyone else ever see a shop owner, let alone a CEO, with that kind of love for his product?

On the other hand - on three different occasions, at different dealers, in San Diego, Birmingham, and Tampa (Crystal River) I went to Harley Dealers to buy a Buell and was so turned off by the staff's treatment I didn't. Ironically the last time (the salesguy kept telling me what a piece of dung the Buell was and that I really wanted a Midnight V-Rod) was when I bought my MV Agusta Brutale.

I guess there's a point there somewhere ..........:rolleyes:

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I met Erik during bike week (I think it was 98) at Rossmeyer's. A guy walks in and start's talking about a problem he was having with his Buell.

The next thing a well dressed guy who was in the shop asks the Service guy for a tool roll and walks out to the parking lot with the customer. I ask "who's that?" and am told Erik Buell.

I go out to the parking lot to see Erik on his knees, with his hands and shirt dirty, in the heat, working on a stranger's bike. Anyone else ever see a shop owner, let alone a CEO, with that kind of love for his product?

On the other hand - on three different occasions, at different dealers, in San Diego, Birmingham, and Tampa (Crystal River) I went to Harley Dealers to buy a Buell and was so turned off by the staff's treatment I didn't. Ironically the last time (the salesguy kept telling me what a piece of dung the Buell was and that I really wanted a Midnight V-Rod) was when I bought my MV Agusta Brutale.

I guess there's a point there somewhere ..........:rolleyes:
I agree that many of the dealerships really didn't help out the Buell owners and actually treated them like red-headed stepchildren. (No offense to any red-headed stepchildren) Since my dealership has a younger staff, we were more enthusiastic about the Buells and really stepped up when it came to the Buells. We also did a lot of damage control from Buell customers who had been treated less than stellar from other dealers. Definitely makes you wonder what could have happened if the all the HD dealers would have stepped up as well.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Same thing happened several years ago when Buick was supposed to sell Opels in the US. "You don't want that good handling high mileage Urpean junk, you want a Buick Century at half the mileage twice the (exterior) size!"

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I sincerely pray that Erik Buell has some really good people around him right now. In the video, he looked like a man who has been gutted with a rusty spoon and then salted. There will be plenty of time for further Monday morning quarterbacking later.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I sincerely pray that Erik Buell has some really good people around him right now. In the video, he looked like a man who has been gutted with a rusty spoon and then salted. There will be plenty of time for further Monday morning quarterbacking later.
:plus1: Personally, I think he probably just found out yesterday after the meeting.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Re: Buell Motorcycles -- RIP

Looks as if Buell is dead and MV is for sale.

cb
I did a trading first (for me) today; I shorted HOG. It seems so un-american to vote against a company so I've never shorted, but ................:rolleyes:

There really is a disconnect - sales down 80%, dumping lines and cutting production, they are guaranteed to loose money on the MV sale, DOW down 100+, HOG up a good bit the last 2 days. Time will tell (but it will most likely be a short term trade for me).

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

good luck on that, Tom. Just hope Warren Buffett doesn't inject a few more million!

I did a trading first (for me) today; I shorted HOG. It seems so un-american to vote against a company so I've never shorted, but ................:rolleyes:

There really is a disconnect - sales down 80%, dumping lines and cutting production, they are guaranteed to loose money on the MV sale, DOW down 100+, HOG up a good bit the last 2 days. Time will tell (but it will most likely be a short term trade for me).

TPadden

Tom Padden

good luck on that, Tom. Just hope Warren Buffett doesn't inject a few more million!
Actually that was good for Buffett; it was a lifesaver for Harley at the time, but not sure what it does for Harley in the long run. He didn't really invest he bought DEBT.

The 600 million $$$ injection (half of it Buffett's) has an interest rate of 15% per annum. The effect meant survival at the time but may have been mostly psychological. The added cost of this financing will slice about $0.18 per share from Harley's fiscal 2009 profits which are already hurting.

Thanks for the luck wish :D.

Top Bottom